• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gerudo

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
What if the gerudo male died out before the 100 years were up? The entire race would go extinct, right?

That would kill off the Gerudo race in no time, especially if Ganondorf failed.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Nope, not necessarily. It seems the Gerudo tribe isn't necessarily a pure breed. Meaning, the Gerudo women often times go to Hyrule Castle Town in search of men... assuming that the purpose of this is to make love and get pregnant to keep the race going.

Perhaps this could relate to why the Gerudo have slowly merged into Hylian society. If each generation of the Gerudo involve a mother being Gerudo and a father being Hylian, the race would slowly evolve into a mixed race.

Perhaps in Twilight Princess, and characters like Telma in particular, perhaps they are part Gerudo so to speak. With some of her ancestry being native Gerudo while the other half being Hylian.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
Nope, not necessarily. It seems the Gerudo tribe isn't necessarily a pure breed. Meaning, the Gerudo women often times go to Hyrule Castle Town in search of men... assuming that the purpose of this is to make love and get pregnant to keep the race going.

Perhaps this could relate to why the Gerudo have slowly merged into Hylian society. If each generation of the Gerudo involve a mother being Gerudo and a father being Hylian, the race would slowly evolve into a mixed race.

Perhaps in Twilight Princess, and characters like Telma in particular, perhaps they are part Gerudo so to speak. With some of her ancestry being native Gerudo while the other half being Hylian.

TP had a rather large emphasis on the Gerudo being completely extinct though, and I thought the Gerudo heading into the castle town was only mentioned in Ocarina of Time, so it wouldn't really add up, would it?

Of course, I believe the games logically are not connected at all, so it would make sense if the exact definition of "gerudo" or "hylian" was mixed up between games.

Even so, people who are half of any one race tend to have that pointed out, like demi-gods or half-elves or something.

T

Triforcekid

I somehow think that the shiekah might be conected to gerudos because in
wind waker in forsaken fortress when you make it to the top there is a modified shiekah symbol http://Sheikah_TWW.jpg
at first i wasn't sure how i would make the conection but in ALttP Agahnim has a very similar eye symbol on his shirt http://www.zeldawiki.org/Eye_symbol I think that maby in the Zelda "world" that in the early times the shiekah may have been allies with the gerudos but the gerudos were eventually corrupted and betrayed the shiekah. As punishment they were probably banished and in anger tried to overthrow hyrule and were banished to the twilight realm for assisting Ganondorf.

gerudo=twili

P.S. please stop saying telma is a gerudo her red eyes obviously indicate she is a Shiekah descendant. Madame Fanadi is also a Shiekah I don't know how that applies tho

EDIT: Im sorry in that last post one of my links didn't work however in the 2nd link it has TWW skiekah symbol further down the page

One thing i forgot to mention is i can translate modern hylian (TP) and in the hidden village on of the signs says "welcome to old Kakariko" and impaz says she was named after the founder of the village (who i believe is Impa) she also had in her posetion the statue that brought back ilia's memory which had the sheikah eye on top. I believe the hidden village is kakariko village in OoT. This is a lot of stuff but my point is, in all we have the temple of time, a hidden village called old kakriko, and a descendant of a shiekah.
With all these things it can only meen that TP takes place in the same hyrule that is in ocarina of time before the great flood (WW)

i have one more question
i had never heard of the trident of power thing you were talking about if you fight the final boss in ALttP ganon has a trident is it somehow conected

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Blaine

*cracks knuckles* Alrighty then, I read through this whole topic, and I'm itching to throw in some input.

I'll take care of the easiest thing first. The question of how Gerudo reproduce/survive throughout the years. The answer is pretty simple. As a few of you have pointed out, one of the Gossip Stones from OoT lays bare the fact the Gerudo often go to Hyrule to look for boyfriends. Thus, Gerudo usually mate with Hylians or "Humans." HOWEVER, they do not have half-breed children. I can't say why, but either by some magic in the Gerudo blood, or else just through a genetic trait, when a Gerudo has a child, the father's genes, at least most of them, are overridden by the Gerudo blood. Now, that same magic prevents males from being born except for every 100 years. Make sense?

Here I will address some of the arguments for the Gerudo being the Twili. First and foremost, the Twili were banished to the Twilight Realm long before Ganondorf. Not only is this evidenced by what Link is told regarding the Twili, but the fact that they had eventually adapted to the realm, and Ganondorf had not by the time he came upon Zant.

Thus, it's reasonable to assume to assume they were banished before the events of OoT (split time theory or not, it makes no difference). Aside from that, the Gerudo are not a people of magic. True, Ganondorf and Twinrova had vast magical prowess, but the average Gerudo showed no sign of these talents, whereas the "interlopers" were said to be more or less exclusively magical.

In reference to tagging the Gerudo as the thieves mentioned in the backstory to ALttP, Ganondorf killed those thieves. If they were Gerudo, I doubt he would have done so, since they would be his own people, and very loyal to him. Although I will say it is a tempting possibility that in OoT he killed some Gerudo companions before following Link into the Sacred Realm.

Lastly, for now, I will point out that Telma could not be a Gerudo, on account of her pointed ears. Neither could the man in Kakariko, since he does not have red hair. I've read in places that it is possible he could be of Sheikah descent, but that's just speculation.

I probably overlooked one or two arguments, but since I'm just coming into an 8 page topic, this will have to suffice for a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I will address some of the arguments for the Gerudo being the Twili. First and foremost, the Twili were banished to the Twilight Realm long before Ganondorf. Not only is this evidenced by what Link is told regarding the Twili, but the fact that they had eventually adapted to the realm, and Ganondorf had not by the time he came upon Zant.

Wait a minute here. Couldn't Ganondorf have been banished long after the Gerudo were supposedly banished to the Twilight realm? We have proof that Ganondorf is immortal, so it's possible that Ganondorf went into hiding or something for quite a while after the Gerudo were banished, and was only captured when he tried to attack again maybe. Also, we have no proof that the Twili were already adapted to their new home by the time Ganondorf got there, because since Ganondorf had such power, he could probably retain his normal shape and complexion. And anyways, the only time we saw him in the Twilight realm was as a huge, weird, flaming head, or whatever you call that.

B

Blaine

Right. What I meant by him not adapting was that all he could thus far conjur himself up as was a big flame head thing. Whereas the Twili had had a plenty long time to adjust, and take proper shape in the Twilight Realm.

And yes, while it is possible that 100 years could be enough time for the Gerudo to be banished and then adapt, in looking at the dialogue from the light serpent, or really anywhere, it suggests that the Twili had been there for an even greater amount of time.

There's also the fact that the Gerudo can't breed all by themselves, so they would have died out pretty quick isolated in the Twilight Realm, unless you think that there people live for longer/forever. But even then, it doesn't explain how Zant, or any other male Twili would have come into being, and it's suggested that there have been other males.

To the argument of Ganondorf being called the King of Twilight, I'm pretty sure Zant was the only one who called him that. And it's reasonable to assume he would call him the King of anything, simply because he had incredible power, and the ability to take over the Twilight Realm, along with Hyrule. I very much doubt Zant knew much of anything about Ganondorf, aside from the fact he had immense power, so calling him the King of Twilight out of some natural right seems unlikely.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Wait a minute here. Couldn't Ganondorf have been banished long after the Gerudo were supposedly banished to the Twilight realm?

That scene where they stab him and send him to the Twilight Realm, I always thought that took place in the timeline where Link was sent back in time by Zelda. After him and Zelda informed everyone of Ganon's plans.

That scene where they stab him and send him to the Twilight Realm, I always thought that took place in the timeline where Link was sent back in time by Zelda. After him and Zelda informed everyone of Ganon's plans.

Yeah, but the question is, how long did it take them to find Ganondorf? It could have taken years, because he was a magic user, and could have defeated most people sent to search for him.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
The comments Ganondorf makes at the end of Twilight Princess, calling the Twili "pathetic" seemed to indicate strongly to me that he was not related to them in any way. He seemed aware of their existence, but only in passing until he was banished to the same place.

Keep in mind, also, that the Sages had no knowledge of Ganon's possession of the Triforce of Power, even shocked by it. That would be a strange reaction if his imprisonment took place long after OoT, when Zelda and Link's possession of the other pieces would be known.

Chris

It has been awhile...
Mases, you raise a very good point. How do the Gerudo reproduce? Though, they may have be granted eternal life by ganondorf. That explains why link doesn't kill them when he slashes them in Majora's Mask.

personally i have a hard time believing that gerudo and twili are the same now sure there are some connections but there gerudo are not magical only ganon and the witches, plus in the twili zone there are many guy twili not just woman. and the gerudo if u all remember the is only one gerudo every 100 years plus in tp none of the twili new about him im pretty sure they would.

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
the gerudo women have sex with men from the nearby towns. they get pregnant and have children. every one hundred years they have a male who leads them. i dont understand why people find that so difficult to believe. of course that would never happen in real life but its a videogame.

as for the twili being the Gerudo, even though it is not bluntly said, it is very possible. lots of evidence points straight to that idea.

the only other explanation is that somewhere along the way the Gerudo died out and the reason Zant has the Gerudo symbol on his armor is because he serves a Gerudo (Ganondorf).

also, the Midna does not really look like a Gerudo so whoever said that is kind of wrong. thats a big stretch to say that Midna looks like a Gerudo..

the only problem with the twili being Gerudo theory is that the Gerudo hated Ganondorf so why would they be banished with him if they didnt really worship or follow him?

D

Diligo

I have read this up and down, ALL the comments. I do believe that the Gerudo are in fact the Twili. To much evidence is pointed towards that. I'm sure Nintendo made it clear, but as us Zelda fans are we analyze to much based off of past links. Mind you every Zelda game is linked in some way but have the major individuality. There are plenty of loops holes I assure you, if Nintendo tried to base all the games off of each other then that would constrict their creativity. They said it themselves, also the time line has proved to be flawed.
Enough about that lets shed some light on the subject, Avenged did an awesome job in doing so I couldn't have done better myself.
First off as many have pointed out, the Gerudo don't rely on one male alone to sustain their whole race. The Gossip Stone and several NPC's have made that clear that they look for boyfriends. As we all know the Gerudo don't like men so I assume they wouldn't want to build a life commitment with one. In other words USE them and abuse them, for them that's all they're worth.
As someone stated and a good point at that about the male to female ratio in the twili realm. Well as said good point, but as another said this event takes 100's of years prior giving ample opportunity for many or so men to be born. But there are many ways of figuring this out, or different theories to plug this in. One could have been that some of the Gerudo were pregnant when they entered, or there could have very well have been a race there before then and the emerged with them. Or there could have been a mix among the race as they were banished. All can easily fit in nicely and be plausible but we may not know.
To go with these maternal theories with the Gerudo giving birth, and what not. Here is food for thought. There is a rumor based off of what was said in OOT. About Malon's mom when you wear the Gerudo mask in front of Talon. He was more than delighted to say the mask resembled his wife. It could have mean one of many things, the red hair, it was a female mask and he misses his wife, or he said that and quickly regretted it trying to take it back due to the fact no one in Hyrule like the Gerudo's and he didn't want anyone to know he was tied to a dangerous thief (I'm sure plenty of men were). The point I'm trying to make is that if this theory is true than Gerudo's didn't give birth to all females or look alikes at that. They probably had a strict code in which stated rules and regulations in how a Gerudo should be part of the tribe, assuming appearance being on of them.
Also another thing I want to add is no one stated when the banishment actually took place. We know it was a long time ago, we don't know when. Gerudo could have been banished right before or after Ganondorf was supposedly executed. When you watch the execution clip. Noticed how everything is in place the mirror is up and the giant rock. The Mirror is a powerful artifact something that shouldn't be out in the opening like.
Also think about it the Gerudo had a thing with mirrors. In the spirit temple the whole thing was riddled with mirrors. In fact that is the only way to get through the temple is to use a mirror including your sheild.
Besides all that and the other little tidbits that were added with the other comments. Let's look at some other things, the fact that the Arbitor's Grounds could very well be the Spirit Temple due to the sand and the lady with the snake plastered everywhere.

Here is something else I would like to add, some of you said about the loyalty the Gerudo's had with Ganondorf when in fact they had a huge loyalty, with the exception of Nabooru. Not only that but a lot of them were often brainwashed but Ganondorf, Kotume and Kotake. As well it was the only army Ganondorf had to his disposal, that and the fact this takes place after OOT which OOT is the beginning of the time line.
Mind you, Midna might as well be a Gerudo she does in fact resemble one. The the eyes, the long thin neck, slender waist, orange hair, aquiline nose, though it may not protruded as the Gerudo depicted in OOT did. Put into consideration that the character design has changed in the transition of TP.
And to what Ganondorf said to Midna about "Her People" think about it you can no longer associate yourself with something your no longer tied to. My Great, great, grandfather was from Germany, that doesn't make me German now does it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom