• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gerudo Men? Y U NO APPEAR?!

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
For some reason even though a Gerudo male is supposidly an infamous special person the only one too be seen is Ganondorf. The Gerudos should be throughout the main Timeline and into the Child so were are the others? Did they just run away? Dies off in lonelyness? Did the Gerudo hide them away? Or were most Gerudo men all loose cannons who like Ganondorf ran away?

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
First off, a Gerudo Male is only born every 100 years and is crowned king of the Gerudos. Besides that, we can see that there are reasons to why we never see the male.

In MM, it is an alternate world and we have no idea what happens there.
In TP, we only have where they lived and are kind of non-existent.

Those are the only games I know of with Gerudos.

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
they just werent there, nintendo diden't think of that. gerudo men would have ben awesome.
i'd like fighting them.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
We probably don't see any of the other Gerudo males because, well, they aren't really important. They have no real purpose in the stories of the game other than Ganondorf.

Fig

The Altruist
Possible factors are speculated whenever we fans discuss about this topic. It is possible that maybe the Gerudo females don't mate until a cycle of 100 years has passed. This would then be a sacred ritual that they continue to keep a tradition, thus they select a one female to be the one to have the son who will become the future King of the Gerudo. This is just my belief of why only one male is born every 100 years in the Gerudo tribe.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Very simple, with only one male being born every 100 years you won't see Gerudo male walking around. And in OoT that only male is Ganondorf. You cannot expect the other Gerudo males to live like 500 years. It is not relevant to the story since it was about defeating the only male Ganondorf

I agree with Atticus and Vanessa regarding why Ganondorf is the lone Gerudo male in the 100 year interval prior to the events of Ocarina of Time but perhaps there is deeper significance in why only one man is born every century. It's speculated that the Gerudo race was cursed, however, there is no solid evidence to support this claim. Things surely were not like this forever as there had to previously be more men to propagate the civilization.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Possible factors are speculated whenever we fans discuss about this topic. It is possible that maybe the Gerudo females don't mate until a cycle of 100 years has passed. This would then be a sacred ritual that they continue to keep a tradition, thus they select a one female to be the one to have the son who will become the future King of the Gerudo. This is just my belief of why only one male is born every 100 years in the Gerudo tribe.
But remember that with each conception, theres a 50/50 chance to get either gender. What happens if the result of this is female? Not only that, but they would quickly die out if they only breed once every 100 years. Granted, we dont know how long their life expectancy is...but I think they hook up with hylians until the cycle of 100 years has ended. And then, yes, they would have a ritual to create the next king, and that king would be the son of the current king. Male gerudos would have to have a YY chromosome combination to ensure that their offspring is male, while male hylians have XY. That would usually make a 50/50 chance, but I remember someone saying they thought the gerudos were under a curse. I think that curse causes any male hylian/gerudo hybrids to die before they're even born.

Edit- Just thought of something...I guess that king CAN have offspring before he's supposed to...so the logical explanation for why he doesn't would be that gerudos live for hundreds of years and hit puberty at 100 years old. Koume and Kotake argue about how old they are when you defeat them. They say theyre either 400 something or 500 something, I dont remember which. Perhaps they're like bees, in which the males die shortly after breeding...who knows. Either that or the curse kills any offspring the king fathers after the first one as well.

Last edited:
Maby they do mate every year but for some reason ( a Curse, a genetic defect, Tradition??) have Girls so they train them and keep their numbers up and for every 100 years they have a boy who can be the next king. now that will be an interesting Zelda game were Ganondorf had a Son..they can try to rule Hyrule as father and son >: )

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
RegalBryant said:
Listen to the gossip stones. The gerudo Commit sexual inter- who am I kidding, they **** hylians. Duh!
Lol, the gossip stones just say they visit Hyrule to find boyfriends...if they said that, the game would have a higher age rating :P

Ugea said:
now that will be an interesting Zelda game were Ganondorf had a Son..they can try to rule Hyrule as father and son >: )
That would be interesting all right...I'd like a plot twist involving the son killing his father to become king, taking the triforce of power with him, and then Link has to fight him instead.

It seems to me that Nintendo simply avoided bringing another Gerudo male into the series in fear that he would steal the spotlight from Ganondorf. This seems to be a possible case in Twilight Princess where no Gerudo can be found. Another probable case is that they may have found it complicated to introduce a new Gerudo character, as it might detract too much from the main plot [involving Ganondorf], thereby derailing a well-established foundation in the series as a whole.

Zauz.png

Zauz (PH)​
In any event, Nintendo seems to have designed male characters that strongly carry the traits of the Gerudo, or in some cases, passively hint at actual Gerudo ancestry. The characters Groose (SS) and Zauz (PH) come to mind. Said males exhibit similar traits of Gerudo, including red hair and yellow pupils; the latter also seems to boast somewhat of the race's signature aquiline nose. Also, given the large gaps of time in which each of said characters appear in their respective games, anything is possible, so to speak. However, what I've gathered is but mere speculation that Nintendo has yet to come forth to confirm.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So, like why there is only one male Gerudo per century? Well, because the female Gerudos' nonosquares kill any sperm with a Y chromosome. And then at 100 years, the King -- Cannondwarf -- would have to impregnate a non-Gerudo so her nonosquare won't kill it. IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE.

Original Work:
Mandym287. "Gerudo Gender Speculation." Web. 6 June

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom