• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gerudo in Twilight Princess?

C

Caleb, Of Asui

You guys are all saying they died out. I'll have to disagree with that. To me it looks more like they disbanded. Think about it - in Ocarina of Time the Hylians (and the Sheikah and Kokiri, for what it's worth) are all white. The Gerudo is the only dark-skinned race that still looks very human (I wonder, since Gorons and Zoras are considered different races, does that make them human? That's a topic for another day, though). Now look at Twilight Princess. You get characters like Telma who looks a lot like a Gerudo, and many characters with varying skin tones. Nobody's called a Gerudo, though, because the term is now obsolete. In Ocarina of Time the Gerudo are defined more as a band of thieves than a whole separate race, so it's more logical to say they disbanded than that they died out. In the case of Telma, it would be inaccurate to call her a Gerudo because the band of thieves is no longer around, but she appears to be a descendant of the Gerudo. I believe there were a few other characters like this in Twilight Princess, but I can't remember who they were.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
You guys are all saying they died out. I'll have to disagree with that. To me it looks more like they disbanded. Think about it - in Ocarina of Time the Hylians (and the Sheikah and Kokiri, for what it's worth) are all white. The Gerudo is the only dark-skinned race that still looks very human (I wonder, since Gorons and Zoras are considered different races, does that make them human? That's a topic for another day, though). Now look at Twilight Princess. You get characters like Telma who looks a lot like a Gerudo, and many characters with varying skin tones. Nobody's called a Gerudo, though, because the term is now obsolete. In Ocarina of Time the Gerudo are defined more as a band of thieves than a whole separate race, so it's more logical to say they disbanded than that they died out. In the case of Telma, it would be inaccurate to call her a Gerudo because the band of thieves is no longer around, but she appears to be a descendant of the Gerudo. I believe there were a few other characters like this in Twilight Princess, but I can't remember who they were.

Other people say they died out, you say they are disbanned. Yet you people deny the possibility that the Twili evolved from the Gerudo, while there are so many arguments and indications to support that theory. So let me ask you guys in reserve, give me good argument (from the game, and not purely based on your thoughts) instead why you think the Gerudo died or was disbanned.

Yes im asking for an argument to support your statements, not to point out flaws from a theory. There are so many flaws in zelda games that common logic does not work. Like the split timeline (altough it is confirmed, its not logical) or the evolution of Rito and Koroks. For example, you guys just point out the "male in 100 years". quote to point out a flaw, and therefore the theory is not correct and ignoring all other indications. Its called "Inductive Reasoning" (example: we dont know how the world was created, therfore God excists)

Caleb, Of Asui, The gerudo is actually a other race. For starters, there are no "humans" in the worls of zelda (altough they are humanoid races).
First there are Hylians, big pointy ears. Second you have Sheikah, those have red eyes. No major difference yet they are concidered a different race.
Finnaly the Gerudo. All i hear is that the skin tone is the indication of a gerudo. They live in a desert, of course they are tanned. Like i said, skin is not based on genetics only. But all Gerudos does have red hair. Now THAT is an indication.

The Gerudo desert actually lies just outside of Hyrule. In other words, it not a part of Hyrule. To further support this statement, Even in TP it is not part of a part of any of the three provinces of Hyrule, so there is no Guardian spirit that governs Gerudo desert.

Last edited:

Pen

The game is on!
I think that Death Sword of Arbiters Grounds killed the entire Gerudo race. Nobody could kill Death Sword though, so the Hylians (probably) managed to seal Death Sword away into it's own sword after the execution of the Gerudos.

Well, maybe some Gerudos managed to escape (Ganondorf obviously did), such as the ancestors of Telma, maybe...

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I think that Death Sword of Arbiters Grounds killed the entire Gerudo race. Nobody could kill Death Sword though, so the Hylians (probably) managed to seal Death Sword away into it's own sword after the execution of the Gerudos.

Well, maybe some Gerudos managed to escape (Ganondorf obviously did), such as the ancestors of Telma, maybe...

I give up...

This is not theorizing, this is just coming up with your own ideas and try to make a connection with something without any logical arguments to support your statements. Same goes with debating, some people don't realise what debating actually is.

I guess ZD is not what it used to be. Its a shame because we were one of the few Zelda Forums that actually was seriously analyzing, theorizing and debating about zelda games.

I have to go with the Gerudo dying out as I don't see how the Gerudo became the Twili because i am pretty sure the Twili existed before OOT and the Gerudo were still around then. I also agree with part of "Onilink89" can people please stop making random stories which have no evidence at all and just saying them because it hasn't been said yet.

For anyone who puts FSA anytime after TP (as far as I can see, it's the most accepted theory up until this point), the Gerudos are definitely in FSA (as far as I can remember anyways). If that is to be the case, then the Gerudos are in TP but maybe Link didn't needed their help to begin with.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
We know that the Gerudo did exist at one time, otherwise the Arbiter's grounds wouldn't exist. It's very possible that they died out, and Ganondorf was the only one left. I still don't see why you would think Telma was a gerudo, though...

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
We are talking about TP. TP is the future of the child timeline while WW is of the adult timeline. In other words, TP has no connection with WW whatsoever.

Also i cannot remember that gonondorf said such a thing in WW. The only thing i can remember talking about his own tribe is near the end of the game:

I copied those quotes of zeldapedia. I don't see what you mean with mistranslation, prehaps the japnese version is different or something?
Here is the article about the gerudo and the theory about the Twili.
And here is the article of zeldawiki

Wow, what an argument to support your statement...
Lets be a little open minded here. The red hair is just an indicator that Midna is a descendant of the gerudo tribe. Pretty much like how red eyes are an indicator to sheikah. And i think the fact that the evolution of the zora to rito is more radical then the evolution of gerudo to twili.

But to awnser to your skin statement, she is born in the twilight realm not in the desert. Skin is not only based on genetics you know.

Ganon essentialy said the Gerudo were dying because of the harsh conditions they lived, and what Ganon stated are his reasons! His reasons are were there! Even before OoT! So since the TP Ganon is the OoT Ganon and WW Ganon is the same one too... THEY HAVE THE SAME REASONS... hope i made a point.

Moving on:

In case you didn't notice, Midna had a pale bluish skin, gerudos had dark brown or green skin, so the Twili probably aren't Gerudos.
Also, they have more than one male at a time.

With time they could have lost their skin tone due to lack of light in the Twilight realm.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
There's a rumor that fans did not like how the race was all female that and maybe Nintendo did not want to make a new race because it was too time problematic.

After OoT, Link went back in time and told the royal family about what ganon was about to do and ganon was the king of the gerudos so the royal armee went to the gerudo desert and made arbiter's grounds out of gerudo fortress by jailing and killing all gerudos until ganon was the last survivor. There are not enough prisons nor ways to kill people in Hyrule and it would seem cruel to the people living in hyrule so they did it directly in the thieves hideout. What happened to the last survivor ganon is seen in TP.

But I don't see where the Death sword fits in...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
e had a huge thread in the theory section about the gerudo tribe in TP. Too bad i can't find it anymore.

Its about that the Gerudo is actually the Twili. Now it is unclear if the why or how the gerudo mastered magic, the only gerudo who could use magic is Koume & Kotake and Ganondorf himself.

But these are the facts that support that theory:

1. Midna talked about a banished tribe (gerudo in this case) and Arbiter Grounds was in Gerudo desert.
2. The Ancient Sages stated that Ganondorf led them in an invasion of Hyrule in order to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm.
3. Midna's line before she stabs Zant: "Do you forget that our ancestors lost their king to such greed?"

Indications:
1. Zant actually has a Gerudo Symbol, check this image.
2. Midna's true form actually looks like a Gerudo, especialy the red hair.
3. Ganondorfs magic resembles alot like the Twili magic, especialy the warp partical thingy...

There is no way the gerudo are the twili. Ganondorf was executed and there were already twili there when he arrived. The gerudo do not use magic except Ganon Koume and Kotake.
I think Ghirahim's group will become the twili in skyward sword as his magic looks similar to twili warp particles and also he has a similar nose to human midna.

DLC

Soul Drummer.
About the twili being the gerudo, no. The skin is too different and the twili's actions and personalities are to different, as wel as their customs. Also, despite the fact that zant wore a gerudo symbol, I believe it's just something to either mess with zelda theorists, or simply a cameo. This theory is random, and i got it from one of axles mailbags ( I think) but it's that all of those slips sealing the death sword were put there by the last of the gerudos after many had been killed by the death sword and the lack of transportation to hyrule, depriving them of food, guys, and stuff. Just sayin'.

L

Links shadow

i agree with what RegalBryant said they would die and snce 1 gerudo male is born every 100 years they would die out

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom