• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Geometry or Algebra?

Pick a math

• geometry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • algebra

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Majora's Cat

How about that
They're both ridiculously easy and uninteresting. Now what is interesting is algebraic geometry and analytic geometry, as Kitsu mentioned. I leave you with the topography of a standard 3D object:

kummer2.jpg

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Ah, good 'ole mathematics. I am a fast learner in the subject, so difficulty is not a concern with me, unlike some others. Some people can prove triangles congruent all day, but would have a panic attack upon seeing "Factor: 3x^4 + 2x^3 + 3x^3 + 6x^2." Option number one could range in complexity, depending on how much information was given. The latter is more meticulous and looks daunting at a glance, yet I would have to go with my lovely variables and exponents.

I'm in the process of getting my Geometry credit, and the subject doesn't feel as clear-cut as Algebra. There are multiple methods to approaching proofs which leads to having extraneous information that leaves me feeling confused. It also isn't as "hands on" as I think Geometry could be, mainly in architecture, but that's understandable in a high school setting. I do have a higher average in this math, despite having many criticisms directed toward it.

Algebra is a huge contrast. If you know the rules and formulas to solve or simply your problem, it can be done. If you need help with something, a teacher can give you a straight way to get the proper answer. The downside to this branch is that it has more room for error, which becomes apparent on quizzes that get dropped a letter grade for a few slip-ups in long division. Other than that, it is incredibly analytically bound and there is little room for having to notice or imply quantities in Algebra that can sneak their way into Geometry.

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
For some weird reason, when it comes to math, I really prefer the dry, pure math (which is the polar opposite with my preferences in any other subject) no illustrative flavor text or anything that could distract from the problem I need to solve. So algebra all the way, it's my favourite kind of math. Geometry was one of my least favourite forms of math (and I'm saying this as someone who loves drawing) - and honestly I didn't really think of it as math while in school... It was time consuming and didn't involve the thing I loved the most about math; solving problems.

I took Algebra in my Junior High year and I loved it. When I took Geometry my 8th grade year I didn't learn a damn thing from it because of new teacher (and majority of the time new teachers do terrible their first year)

So after that horrible year, Algebra/Calculus was just my forte. I mean who didn't enjoy the bottoms up equations? :p

キラ

Yo!
I guess I was pretty good at Geometry, but I was really good at Algebra. I sucked at both at first because of my issues at school when I didn't try. But, I eventually learned Algebra pretty well and was very good and helped other students in the class with their worksheets. I'm probably not as good as you guys at Algebra though. :sweat:

But, y'know... I really want to tell my old high school teachers about all the times I've had to use Algebra because they said it was so useful...

...A resounding zero times. Hahaha :cool:

Last edited:

Clank

Hmm
Honestly with how much they tie together you can't really consider them separate entities, so both I guess?

Also, the teachers that say you will use algebra are kind-of right, you can use algebra to help with many mundane tasks and to get the best out of something, but no, you don't need it, then again do you really need to know how to read? I mean it is really helpful no doubt(as is algebra and like all math), but do you really need to know how to read?

Mido

Version 1
Some people can prove triangles congruent all day, but would have a panic attack upon seeing "Factor: 3x^4 + 2x^3 + 3x^3 + 6x^2."

This segment describes my touch with the mathematical community. In that respect, there's no question that I am a man of the Geometry variety. I like Geometry because of its conceptual nature, and although some algebra is included, it is often at a basic level, and allows for thinking within the confines of a geometrical setting.

I used to like Algebra, but then I blew it in the eighth grade when I couldn't grasp the concept of multi-variable equations. My confidence was shot, and now my math is very clumsy. Maybe it is my weakness to algebraic work for the past two to three years that leads me to loathe Algebra. I mean, some concepts are indeed interesting, and to my dismay, will have to be used frequently, but still, I've grown to like Geometry, and I understand it a little more than Algebra.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Honestly with how much they tie together you can't really consider them separate entities, so both I guess?

Also, the teachers that say you will use algebra are kind-of right, you can use algebra to help with many mundane tasks and to get the best out of something, but no, you don't need it, then again do you really need to know how to read? I mean it is really helpful no doubt(as is algebra and like all math), but do you really need to know how to read?

*This is off-topic, but I really want to answer this question.*
Technically speaking, humans are not born to read. We have section of are brain dedicated for specific tasks such as speech, movement, mood, creativity, and so on. Surprisingly, nothing is devoted to reading. It is a concept entirely foreign to our race and must be instructed and further built upon as we age.

In order to translate the strange symbols known as "letters," "hieroglyphs," and "characters" into something that humans recognize as a real thing, several areas of the brain must be utilized. This is why a good book can feel highly stimulating, yet you get tired or bored after flipping through so many pages--the mind is putting up with a fair amount fair strain. Of course, illiteracy is going to put someone at a major disadvantage into today's society due to the importance of the written word.

So, no, you really don't need to know how to read; it is just recommended.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Ugh, neither, and I refuse to choose one. I never understood the fascination with mathematics, and why people love to solve things with an already set answer. It's redundant. I understand learning the basic ideas/formulas of math, because some of it is actually fairly useful, but when the hell will I need to use logs, cos, tan, sin, e, pi, etc. in a future job? I'm not going to be a math teacher, architect, engineer, doctor, or anything too technical. I don't need to know most of the concepts from Algebra or Geometry. What happened to thinking outside the box? Why do I have to follow a formula to find an answer? Just, why?

MCLink

DJ Barricade
geometry because its all formulas that can get the the answer every time as long as you remember them, which is easy for me considering i have a photographic memory

Algebra, Geometry, and -- by extension -- Calculus are all wonderful subjects that should be taught in all reaches possible. I believe that everyone should strive to understand Mathematics to the best of their abilities, because math allows us to think more critically about problems whether we realise it or not.

I never had a problem with either. You often hear of people with a strong preference to one or the other but to me its all the same. Actually, I can't think of much of anything to say about them. They just are. Just picked algebra cause it came first (for me in 7th grade).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom