• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Genetics

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Everyone plays the genetic lottery of life. Some are winners, others are losers. Or maybe you got extremely lucky in one area, and are unfortunate in another.

What would you say are some of the ways you either won or lost the genetic lottery? Could be your height, health problems, appearances, or anything.

As for myself I think I'm more of a loser when it comes to genetics. Poor eyesight, flat feet, asthma, extreme allergies (that results in eczema), teeth issues, extreme sensitivity to heat, and probably a few other things.

I'm not sure if there are really many ways I could say I won. I do have extreme double jointedness/flexibility but while those can be neat and interesting it also causes joint issues such as my shoulders constantly popping out of place. I'm around average height for a female, so I guess that could count as a win. I also have blue eyes, which I don't think would normally be considered a 'win' but I think it's pretty nice so I'll count it.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
All things considered I think I turned out alright. I like my hair when it cooperates and I’m pretty tall. I’m decently strong, I benched for the first time the other day and got to 100 which I guess is good but I don’t know much about these things. I’m a little overweight but that’s not really a genetic thing, just something I could change.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I think I did ok.

My main negative is my freckles. They have faded a lot since I showed my already outdated face in the picture thread, but they are still there and I absolutely hate them with all of my being.

My hair is also crazy uncooperative and I need a lot of max strength product to tame it.

My positives are that I am deceptively strong and athletic, have an above average intelligence, good social skills, a straight face and I have no allergies.

I have really low patience though and most likely will have Alzheimer's disease when I am older.

I hate my freckles SOOO much when I was younger I almost considered covering my face with makeup to hide them. I feel like they dramatically decrease my physical appearance and my ability to attract chicks...

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Pro's:
- Being tall ( 1.78m which might be 5ft10 or something). I hated it as a kid. But I started to love it when I got older. Now I don't even care anymore and am very happy with my height.
- Very thick and fast growing hair. My hair reaches my butt. It's very thick and shiny all the time. I broke my fav comb a few weeks ago because of my hair being so thick.
- Strong bones. I don't suffer from a sore back and don't break anything easily or even get bruised.
- Looking younger for my age. People always think I'm younger than I am. Sometimes I find it annoying but it's always better than being asked if I'm 50 :P
- Strong body. I'm very lucky my body is strong. I hardly break anything (I never had a fracture or something). I also got a very strong back.

Cons:
- Very sensitive skin. My skin tears easily. We haven't had cold winters for years now but even with the slightest bit of cold my skin is cutting itself open. I need to wear gloves all the time during winter to protect my hands. Old wounds won't heal unless spring arrives.
- Food allergies. I swear there will be a day I can't eat anything but have to mash it all together and "drink" it through a straw. It's ridiculous. Eating cheese and my belly is swelling, eating nuts and I got an extreme cold. Eating crisps and getting blisters in my mouth.
- Nose cramps. Yes this is a thing too. I suffer from it since I was a child. Waking up every morning and immidiatly being "welcomed" by a very nasty pain in my nose. It lasts for a few seconds but boy does it hurt like hell!
- Calf cramps. My mother had those too and I got it as well. Jumping out of my bed at night because of this. Oh lovely mother. Thank you sooo much .........not.
- I. CAN'T. STAND. THE. HEAT. Whenever it's getting 25C+ I start to get insanely moody. It gets really bad. I get headaches and start to snap at people randomly for no reason at all.
- Rage. That's my biggest flaw. I got anger issues and can get in an extreme rage.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I forgot:

My body is weird. For my liquid needs I go from full to empty really fast. What I mean by that is that I can go many hours or a whole fencing tournament or something and not need water, and then all the sudden be dying of thirst (It's the worst feeling).

Cons:
alopecia areata, bad eyesight.

Pros:
Strong masculine features, never grew wisdom teeth, 6'1'', thick body hair

Last edited:

Ninja

Well well well
Chalk me down for 50/50.

Pros
  • Only Asian I know that can grow a full beard in 2 days.
  • Tall for my race, I'm 6ft.
  • Wide chest and broad shoulders for the chicks.
  • No allergies or chronic health issues.
  • Born with the pre-disposition to love dogs.
Cons
  • I can get fat so easily if I'm not careful.
  • Horrible at math from birth
  • Prone to stretch marks. Used to weigh 290.
  • Bad teeth. Six crowns so far and fillings even with proper care.
  • Hard to explain but I have chicken skin on my upper arms.
  • Low physical pain tolerance.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Chalk me down for 50/50.

Pros
  • Only Asian I know that can grow a full beard in 2 days.
  • Tall for my race, I'm 6ft.
  • Wide chest and broad shoulders for the chicks.
  • No allergies or chronic health issues.
  • Born with the pre-disposition to love dogs.
Cons
  • I can get fat so easily if I'm not careful.
  • Horrible at math from birth
  • Prone to stretch marks. Used to weigh 290.
  • Bad teeth. Six crowns so far and fillings even with proper care.
  • Hard to explain but I have chicken skin on my upper arms.
  • Low physical pain tolerance.

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN BY THE CHICKEN SKIN THING!! I used to have that a lot and it was so weird!

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Pros:
Mother's Side: Male Pattern Baldness for all men.
Father's Side: Mall Pattern Baldness for 2/6 men, including father.
Outcome: Got to keep my hair... for now :)

Father's Side: A genetic cluster frak. Look, the families on my dad's side going back multiple generations don't have family trees. They have family constellations, okay?
Mother's Side: Grandfather adopted, so genetic history unknown. Extended family are healthy eastern european so pretty good genetics there.
Outcome: No major genetic health concerns... yet. Diabetes and heart disease are most statistically likely given immediate relatives, but probably won't manifest in my case. Heart disease probably will later.

Weight and Metabolism: Mother has a high metabolism. She's the only child to inherit that from her father. My Dad's side has a pretty balanced metabolism, but guys tend to run a bit hot.
Outcome: An efficient metabolism means I don't gain weight. I burn nutrients quick and don't eat much. This does mean that I am rail thin if not properly exercised.

Cons:
Eyesight: Both sides of the family have severe genetic visual impairment for pretty much everybody. I never stood a chance.
Intellect: My Dad's super smart. Like, not genius smart but still pretty scarily smart. My Grandfather and uncles are also pretty high on the intelligence quotient. My mother's family is of thoroughly average intelligence. The net result is that I am smart enough to be annoying but not enough to be useful. fmr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom