• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Generic Wii Remotes: Your Experiences?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
As we all know, offical Wii remotes are terribly overpriced. It costs $60 for a Remote and Nunchuck. I normally don't go for generic hardware, but these controllers are really expensive.

So I found a generic Wii remote and nunchuck online, sold together for around $15. I purchased two of them for less than the price of one official controller, and effectively had two new Wii remotes.

When the controllers arrived, I checked them out. They looked and felt exactly like official Wii remotes, except that they didn't have the Wii or Nintendo logo on them anywhere. The FCC compliance labeling was gone, etc. Although, strangely, the Nintendo logo was in its normal location on the wrist strap, and the model number RVL-003 was still on the bottom of the remote.

Also, the wrist strap came with it, but unattached. I had to thread it through a couple of holes and tie a knot in order to attach it to the controller. The end result looks just like how the official wrist strap is tied off at the factory.

Finally, I tested the remotes in Wii games. I expected them not to work quite as well as the official remote, perhaps a bit jumpier or something... but to my surprise, they actually do work just as well as the real thing. Actually a little better in my case, because my real Wii controller is a little battered from overuse.

However, I did experience one issue. The remotes will NOT remain synced to the Wii whenever I enter a game, or exit back to the Wii menu. This can be dealt with, because I can always re-sync them through the menu using my official Wii remote... it's only a minor irritation.

In game, there are no issues whatsoever, the de-sync always happens when I load a game or exit back out to the Wii menu. It also happens if I open a channel, or load a VC game. Anything that would make the black loading screen with several Wii logo boxes appear, causes the remote to de-sync.

In fact, I watched the official controller, and noted that it's light ALSO goes off when this screen appears, but automatically reactivates when it's over.

The only conclusion I can come to, is that Nintendo made it this way on purpose in an attempt to discourage people from using generic controllers... I think it's some kind of authentication failure.

Anyway, have you ever used a Generic Wii remote, and if so, how has it worked out for you?

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Why yes I have purchased a generic Wii remote.

Mine works identically to my others. There are small details that I've noticed:

The material of the control stick on the nunchuck is a little off. I can't quite put my finger on it. (pun intended :P) The plastic of the Nintendo Wii remote has a little 'give' to it, but the generic controller lacks this subtlety.

The control stick and d-pad lack a bit of spring compared to the Nintendo remotes. It's not a terrible issue, just something that felt a little off. I didn't have to change the way I played or anything, but it was noticeable.

My controllers had no Nintendo logos. In fact the Nintendo Wii remotes don't have a logo easily noticed and it's easier to distinguish the two by, in fact, grabbing both controllers and press a few buttons rather than searching for a logo.

In conclusion,
Vote: Generic Controller

I've already danced this number with Game Cube controllers. I learned my lesson too; the never lasted more than a month before they just broke down and plain wouldn't work. I experienced this with both the Gamestop and Pelican brands, but 50$ wasted was enough to set me straight for good. What you guys say may be true, but I'm just downright too scared to ever try an off-brand controller again for ANYTHING. Same goes for accessories and the like, too. Even little stylus' I found didn't last as long as the Nintendo brand....

jugglaj91

I am me....
However, I did experience one issue. The remotes will NOT remain synced to the Wii whenever I enter a game, or exit back to the Wii menu. This can be dealt with, because I can always re-sync them through the menu using my official Wii remote... it's only a minor irritation.

In game, there are no issues whatsoever, the de-sync always happens when I load a game or exit back out to the Wii menu. It also happens if I open a channel, or load a VC game. Anything that would make the black loading screen with several Wii logo boxes appear, causes the remote to de-sync.

In fact, I watched the official controller, and noted that it's light ALSO goes off when this screen appears, but automatically reactivates when it's over.

The only conclusion I can come to, is that Nintendo made it this way on purpose in an attempt to discourage people from using generic controllers... I think it's some kind of authentication failure.

Anyway, have you ever used a Generic Wii remote, and if so, how has it worked out for you?

Is there a sync button on the remote? On the fron of the Wii there is a door where the SD card goes and there is a red button that allows for syncing new remotes? If you tried that and it still does as you say then I am at a loss of trying to figure out the problem. I didn't see anything about you syncing this way so I thought I would try to help.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Is there a sync button on the remote? On the fron of the Wii there is a door where the SD card goes and there is a red button that allows for syncing new remotes? If you tried that and it still does as you say then I am at a loss of trying to figure out the problem. I didn't see anything about you syncing this way so I thought I would try to help.

I just tried holding down the button on the Wii, and the button on the remote down simultaneously... and it didn't work. I'm not sure if that remote can sync that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom