• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Shield Discussion

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm expecting roughly five shields: Wooden shield, Hylian Shield, Mirror Shield, Iron Shield and 1 more.
Even on the forums, you insist on busting Operation Moonfall.
Fix'd.
I'm hoping for the Mirror Shield, if it appears as a usable shield, to look somewhat similar to OoT v1.0's mirror shield, I don't care if it is similar to the Islamic flag/symbol or not, it looks freaking awesome. Also, I'm pretty sure the Hylian Shield only has a gold bar so it can appear to be OP (overpowered) for the demo; I heavily doubt the shield, being made with simple metal, would be able to withstand any and all attacks sans magic.

Some people just like to hate on OM, this isn't the place to discuss that though.

WhiteRundas

Ice Hunter
I don't think that there should be more shields than these we already saw.What is the sense of having many shields with different functions?In a difficult situation you could only switch the shield to make it easy and this would make the game pathetical easy.
I have nothing against the Mirror Shield because it is used in puzzles, but shields that have specific resistances (or different functions) shouldn't be in the game in my opinion.

Because I haven't seen the shield meter go down in any footage of SS, I think the shield can stand up to most attacks. At least with the Hylian Shield. AFAIK, there's no gameplay footage where Link uses the wooden buckler, but you can assume it won't stand up to attacks as good as the Hylian Shield can.

Many of you might have already seen this, but I thought I'd just re-post it here. The shield featured in the screenshot below appears to be a 'new' shield. I believe, however, that this shield is the result of the upgrading system in Skyward Sword. Also take note of 'John' [my name for the fix-it guy].

In a nutshell, I think the image below might offer us a glimpse of a shield in the process of becoming the final?, Hylian Shield. It appears to be in its final stages [of upgrading].

004.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, I have noticed:
1. basic wooden shield. circular with bird footprint.
2. square shield. two bird prints.
3. Purple Shield 1. seen in the post above. has two 'wings' and a 'ray' at the top.
4. Purple Shield 2. seen here. has a different design, with a full bird on it.
5. hylian shield. traditional.

Last edited:
it's a petty that the HUD does not appear in this take, i'd like to compare the amount increased.

And it's almost certainly the Hylian Shield.

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
1.) Simple Round Wooden Shield

2.) Banded Shield. More durable than wooden.(as stated in recent video)

3.) Iron Shield. Won't break as easily as the wooden ones.

4.) Red Iron Shield

5.) Marine Blue Shield Prt 1. (simple gold brid claw)

6.) Marine Blue Shield Prt 2. (light ray and gear symbols)

7.) Final Azure Blue Shield, Shield that protects better against electic beams[Hylian Shield] (Hyrule doesn't exist, so Hylian Shield dosn't either)

8.) More than Likely Mirror Shield of some sort, which will reflect beams back at enimies. (possibly will use magic?)

There's my list of shields that i've evaluated. The Mirror Shield is the Only Unconfirmed one so far, so cross yor fingers and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm thinking the Purple Shield will evetually become the Hylian Shield. It's almost there already, but only missing the Hylian Phoenix emblem. At least you can see some of the golden wings on the side, so it would just need to be adjusted.

Shield Progression

I'm new here so i don't know if this has already been discussed but i think I've got a pretty good handle on how the shield upgrades through the game.
First we start with this, basic wooden shield, nothing special.View attachment 17493
It gets upgraded to this, the banded shield, somewhat stronger.View attachment 17494
After that we get bumped up to a steel shield.View attachment 17496
These last two could be in the wrong order, but based on the designs i think this one comes firstView attachment 17499It's got the same bird foot theme as most of the earlier shields.
This one looks more similar to the Hylian shield. the yellow parts on the side look like bird wings and then the top part looks like suns rays but could be light coming off the triforce i guessView attachment 17495
And finally the designs on the hylian shield are pretty obviously custom for Link. He's the only one with a red bird and so obviously that symbol is supposed to represent him. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
It has been confirmed that the Wooden Sheild comes first then the Iron
1st View attachment 17502 2nd View attachment 17503 3rd View attachment 17504 4th View attachment 17505
It has? It's been confirmed that the wooden shield upgrades directly into the banded shield. I think it works more like this:

The wooden shield has one line of upgrades, including the banded shield. This line all has a set of characteristics (wooden, weak to fire, etc.) and each upgrade increases durability.
The iron shield is obtained a different way and has its own upgrade line. These share a different set of characteristecs (iron, strong to fire, weak to magic, etc.), each upgrade increasing durability.
Finally, the kite shield has another line of upgrades sharing other characteristics (kite-shaped, strong to fire and magic, etc.), each one increasing durability. The Hylian Shield would be the last upgrade on this line.

attachment.php
->
attachment.php

attachment.php
-> ???

attachment.php
->
attachment.php
->
Hylian-Shield-Small.png

Notice that the first in each line has the bird talon(s) on it. The banded shield and the second kite shield also have a very similar wing-like pattern.

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
Yeah, and most likely we will get another shield after the Hylian Shield (Mirror Shield?) and maybe after that would be this ultimate shield that does everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom