• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Shield Discussion

CrazyforCuckoos

Purveyor of Cuckoos
As you are all fully aware(hopefully) Skyward Sword will feature different shields, and upgradable stuff.

Speculate!(if...you wish of course)

I think one shield should absorb stuff and heal you.
Also: The mirror shield, if it appears in SS, should have an upgrade to deflect the beams and make them fiery.

That's all I got so far.

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I for one am really excited about breakable shields and being able to upgrade them. I think it will add plenty of depth to the game, as well as add an extra layer of challenge, if we'll have to buy new shields constantly.

I wonder if the three shields in the demo (Wooden, Iron, and Hylian) will be the only ones we get in the game. I hope there will be dozens of shields to chose from, all of them different in apperence and resistences. It would be soooo awsomely awsome!

I think this thread's title should be changed to General Shield Disscusion.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I for one am really excited about breakable shields and being able to upgrade them. I think it will add plenty of depth to the game, as well as add an extra layer of challenge, if we'll have to buy new shields constantly.

I wonder if the three shields in the demo (Wooden, Iron, and Hylian) will be the only ones we get in the game. I hope there will be dozens of shields to chose from, all of them different in apperence and resistences. It would be soooo awsomely awsome!

I think this thread's title should be changed to General Shield Disscusion.

Those probably will be the only three. Twilight Princess had three and the Hylian Shield was the best one. It also makes sense to have your shield break if the meter goes down. Shields do what they're called, they take hits for you. Sooner or later they're going to start breaking. I make shields and after a while they can get pretty roughed up.

CrazyforCuckoos

Purveyor of Cuckoos
I think there will be more then 3. I heard that the standard Hyrulian Shield is not going to be the best when they were talking about gameplay trailers.I think at least they should add 2-3 in sidequest that aren't necessary but would be awesome to get.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Those probably will be the only three. Twilight Princess had three and the Hylian Shield was the best one. It also makes sense to have your shield break if the meter goes down. Shields do what they're called, they take hits for you. Sooner or later they're going to start breaking. I make shields and after a while they can get pretty roughed up.

Twilight Princess had three shields, but the wooden shield and the ordon shield were exactly the same, and the Hylian Shield did nothing differently, except not burning. More shields in Skyward Sword would make way more sense.

Big Octo

=^)
I don't think they should have 2-3 extras besides the wooden, iron, and Hylian sheilds. Rather, they should have an optional indestructible sheild.

Last edited:
I hope that they're be a whole bunch of sheilds with a great verity of designs, maybe one to go with each tribe/area?

Abit off topic but the next 3DS Zelda should have a shop where you can disign your own sheild. You know, draw the image, choose the shape...that would be great.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I personally think we'll only get the shields we've been shown unlike some others think, but that's just me.

Anyway, it's going to be very interesting to see how this shield meter thing works, because we don't know how much damage the Wooden and Iron Shields can take right now before they break, meaning we'll have to find out on our own. My guess on that is the Wooden Shield is relatively weak (and burns, of course), the Iron Shield is durable, and the Hylian Shield is superior to all shields. (Someone said that it was said the Hylian Shield only takes damage from magic attacks, which would explain the golden bar around its meter.)

skybird11

state alchemist
when you think about it, this game will have plenty of different ways to attack and beat bosses(girahim at least) so the same may be true for defence. i hope they dont get too crazy with many upgradable sheilds with special powers... no. they should just have the 3 show in the game.

Didn't they say you could upgrade shields? If so, that's probably at least 6 or so varieties if there's 1 upgrade per shield.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
With the Shield breaking or Burning easily now implemented in SwS, it makes things more interesting.
So far we have seen the Iron Shield, the "Normal" Shield we see in the Traditional Link and a Wooden Shield. With those three basic sheilds, I bet there are other shields that are weak against water but strong against fire. Or a Shield that will break instantly when heated and cooled and heated and Cooled again then hit with a massive blunt weapon.

Protection in the game could bring a totally new experience in which we could plan our attacks and equip ourselves with certain gears so we can safely traverse through the area freely.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If it's as K4 explains, SS could be the best Zelda to date just because of its upgrade system. I just don't want them to go too upgrade-happy to where you constantly have to switch shields in any one dungeon although that would make those dungeons far more interesting than if you could simply waltz in without any problems.

ALL FOR MIRROR SHIELD, VOTE YES! ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom