• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Question Re: Xbox 360 —> Xbox Backwards Compatibility

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Hello. I've asked this general question before, but before I actually spend money on games, I want to be 100% sure that this is possible.

I'm very interested in buying The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY Edition for the Xbox and play it on my Xbox 360. It is my understanding that most/all Xbox games are playable on Xbox 360, and all one needs is to have one's 360 connected to the intrawebz.

I'm pretty sure Matt and other MS-centrics have confirmed this, but I want to make super extra mega uber sure before I put actual money on it.

Confirm? Thank you all in advance.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Yes, Morrowind is backwards compatible on the 360. But it's an extremely buggy way to play an extremely buggy port. The game was originally made for PC. It was lazily ported to the original Xbox, and the backwards compatibility on the 360 was very buggy. It might work but parts will be unplayable. You'd be better off getting the PC version on Steam or GOG and playing that. And installing the unofficial patch and code patch at least. They'll fix most of the issues. Any computer today should be able to play it. Even bad computers. And I mean actual bad computers, not really good computers that PC gaming elitists say are bad. My laptop was a very, very low-end computer when I got it in 2010 and it can play it just fine.

Very appropriate thread, i have been considering getting morrowind as well as JEdi Academy, KOTOR 1 and 2. Any feedback on those versions for OG xbox?

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Your mileage will vary. A lot of people reported bugs, and others, minus minor bugs, were able to complete the game, though the general consensus is that it is a very buggy port. You PC should meet these requirements:
Recommended:
800 MHz or faster Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon processor
256 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS or ATI Radeon 7500 or faster video card.
So I'd recommend getting the PC version. It was recently on sale on Steam, but if you want it now, you can pick it up for $15 USD. If you've waited 14 years to play it, I'd wait a little while longer and pick it up for under $10 during a sale, but that's just me.

Also Kotor 1 and 2 have some lag issues and framerate issues (which existed on the OG Xbox version too). Both are great games, though. I doubt a little bit of input lag every now and then will ruin the experience (unless its terrible).

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I don't own a Windows-based computer, because Microsoft, so the PC version is not an option for me. I've done extensive research on playing it on Mac, and it simply does not work. Any of the attempts to port the game to run on OSX or beyond have ended in a literally unplayable game. I'll take buggy over can't-play-it-at-all. And besides, like Adventurer, there are some other Xbox games that I've wanted to try. Not many, but some of those old Xbox games do beckon.

I really do appreciate the response though. ^^

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I believe its fairly easy to use. I know of quite a few people who have used it, and I wouldn't call any of them computer wizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom