• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Feelings on Rocks

Austin

Austin
What are your feelings on rocks? I see a lot of rocks daily, I just thought we'd talk about them.

Rocks are quite fun to kick while walking. They're also fun to throw at things. But I don't like big rocks; big rocks are scary.

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
What a random topic. :P Well, personally, if you find them in the right place, they can be really pretty. I think rocks hold more than just physical value sometimes. And I love using rocks for random art projects, like pet rocks. ^^

Rocks are the foundation of this planet. Where would we possibly be without them?!

Rocks help us explain many natural phenomena as well. Try tossing a pebble at some water and you'll see what I mean. some good physics comes into play with those ripples. ;)

Ignatius rocks are definitely my favorite type and I someday hope to find some real ones close to a volcano preferably an active one.

Igneous rocks are pretty neat, as they appear in areas of volcanic activity. That's kinda cool and stuff, especially those of the felsic variety - such as granite - but mafic rocks aren't too bad. Rocks often creep me out as well, however, seeing as how they can often be found bundled together with seashells, of which I am morbidly fearful. By that, I am referring to sedimentary rocks - rocks composed of various sediments and other detritus. Because of this, I avoid going to beaches.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
What should I think of rocks? There are so many of them that it's rather hard to list every one of them, even when doing groups alone. They also come in various shapes and sizes, far too many to recount, if only in a simple sentence. But rocks have multiple purposes. Depending on their dimensions and weight, they can be skipped across a flat, calm plane of water...unless they're heavy, in which case they'll immediately plunk beneath the surface and leave behind a ring of ripples. They can be thrown to smash windows and litter your neighbor's yard, but both can be considered vandalism, since some of the grass will get bent, so don't do that. Just know that rocks are a beautiful part of this green Earth.

ms0olc.jpg

Additionally, many people appreciate other types of rock:

15eedu.jpg

And as a special shout-out to the Roc, a large bird-of-prey in Arabian legends known to carry off elephants:

350uzgh.jpg

As for my general feelings on rocks? One type is awesome to listen to, and another, although a fictional creature, has an intriguing backstory to learn about. But regular rocks that sit around all day are in fact quite uninteresting, except to gaze at.

Last edited:

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I love rocks! I was a rockhounding 10 year old fiend back in the day. I'm still interested and collect them, just not as much. I also like collecting rocks from the beach :)

Oh, rocks... I love them. However, in elementary school, I was harrassed for having such an interest... all recess long, I'd search along gravel piles and dried streams, and I probably looked like an ostrich getting ready to plant my head in the ground. People would walk by and throw rocks and mulch at me. :kawaii:

After third grade, I begun getting more and more into fossils as well, so I'd be finding all of these brachiopods and trilobites... <3 Still love granite when I see it--especially the really coarse-grained kind where the mica pieces really stand out. x)

Rocks, minerals and fossils were kind of my thing before fonts. I'm still interested, though, I don't have recess anymore so my primary time to go rock hunting is nonexistent now. ;/ I still have a bunch of geology and rock books stashed in my room somewhere, though. Earth science was also the first thing that really got me into the sciences, so...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom