• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Current Events Thread

Djinn

and Tonic
Staff member
Administrator
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/darth-vader-statue-unveiled-in-ukraine-151407101.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

A monument to Darth Vader has been unveiled in Odessa, Ukraine as a Soviet-era statue of Vladimir Lenin was converted into the Star Wars character to avoid demolition under a recent law against Communist symbols in the country.

Located on the premises of a factory in the Black Sea port city, the Lenin statue was slated to be taken down alongside many other remnants of the Communist past.

However, the factory’s workers and area residents suggested that the statue remain, but be transformed into what the artist says is the world’s first-ever monument to Darth Vader, local news web site Dumskaya reported.

The original statue of Lenin (left) and his replacement, Darth Vader (Photos: Getty Images/Dumskaya.net)

Aleksander Milov, a Ukrainian artist designer, and animator, who participated in the Burning Man Festival in Nevada earlier this year, was hired to transform the decades-old dilapidated statue into the Darth Vader monument, using parts made of titanium alloy. A WiFi hotspot was also installed in the statue’s head.

Dumskaya quoted Milov as saying that he hopes the monument will become one of Odessa’s tourist attractions.

Incidentally, Ukraine is also the only country where Vader and Yoda took part in a parliamentaryelection as the Internet Party of Ukraine put them on their list of candidates a year ago in an apparent PR stunt. The party didn’t make it into parliament.
Ukraine is recognizing their former soviet sith lord master.

Djinn

and Tonic
Staff member
Administrator
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/10/27/norcal-police-department-now-equipped-with-nunchucks/

ANDERSON, Shasta County (CBS/AP) — The police department of a Northern California town has decided to supply its 20 officers with nunchaku sticks, a martial arts weapon they say will help them take down suspects.

The police department in the town of 10,000 people was looking for a versatile tool that would limit injuries to officers and the people they detained – but that would still be an effective means of subduing an unruly suspect. Anderson’s top brass decided nunchakus were the way to go, said Sgt. Casey Day.

“It gives us the ability to control a suspect instead of striking them,” Day told the Los Angeles Times.

Day was recently certified to train the department’s officers on the proper use of the nunchackus, also known as nunchucks. Officers won’t be required to use nunchakus, he said. But if officers decide to use them, they must pass a 16-hour training program.

On the website of the nunchakus’ manufacturer, Orcutt Police Defensive Systems Inc., the restraint technique shows a male officer using the nunchakus to grip the ankle of a man who is kicking his foot toward the officer’s face. The photo also depicts a female officer using them to hold a man’s wrist.

“I see the value and the safety they bring to me,” he said.

Day hasn’t used his nunchakus, but is confident he will use them properly.

“I don’t go around looking for trouble,” he said.
Ah nunchuck squad....

Emma

Eye See You
Site Staff
https://news.vice.com/article/this-lesbian-couple-kissed-in-public-and-ended-up-in-jail-in-hawaii
An investigation has been launched into a police officer in Hawaii who allegedly arrested a lesbian couple for kissing in public.

Courtney Wilson and Taylor Guerrero are a Los Angeles couple who were vacationing in Honolulu in March when they were confronted by off-duty Officer Bobby Harrison in a Foodland supermarket. According to a federal lawsuit that the pair has filed in Hawaii's US District Court, they were holding hands while shopping and at one point hugged and kissed when Harrison "observed their consensual romantic contact and, in a loud voice, ordered plaintiffs to stop and 'take it somewhere else.'"

When they made it to check-out, Harrison confronted them again after witnessing similar consensual contact.

"He said, 'You girls don't know how to act. You don't know the difference between a motel and a grocery store,'" Guerrero said.

While Wilson was attempting to call the police, Harrison reportedly grabbed her arm and a scuffle ensued.

"I got punched in the face by him. I split my nose open. We were on the ground," Wilson told Hawaii News Now.

Guerrero tried to intervene between Harrison and her girlfriend when he allegedly shoved her. She responded by kicking the officer.

The two women were arrested and charged with assaulting an officer. After they each posted $12,000 bail, they weren't allowed to leave the island and eventually resorted to sleeping in a park.

The charges were eventually dropped. The lawsuit asserts that Harrison had accosted the pair because he "was motivated by invidious discriminatory animus toward gay/same-sex couples."

Foodland later apologized to the couple, and the Honolulu Police Department has now opened an investigation in response to their lawsuit.
But.... think of the children!

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGxh_NU1KUs)

So "President" Obama just gave out a speech tonight regarding the San Bernardino shotting in CA. And, I have a question. First and foremost, Obama digressed several times during the speech that the U.S. shouldn't test and reject Muslim communities at home and abroad out of "suspicion and hate". This isn't a point I exactly agree with, but then he went on to say that we need tighter gun control in the country so as to stop these attacks "that are all too common", such as not letting people on the no-fly list buy a gun.

So, let me get this straight: The two Muslims that killed 14 people in San Bernardino didn't represent Islam, but did represent the gun owners in America? Seriously? It's like the left wants to fix the gun problem and not the person problem.

Zorth

#Scoundrel

So "President" Obama just gave out a speech tonight regarding the San Bernardino shotting in CA. And, I have a question. First and foremost, Obama digressed several times during the speech that the U.S. shouldn't test and reject Muslim communities at home and abroad out of "suspicion and hate". This isn't a point I exactly agree with, but then he went on to say that we need tighter gun control in the country so as to stop these attacks "that are all too common", such as not letting people on the no-fly list buy a gun.

So, let me get this straight: The two Muslims that killed 14 people in San Bernardino didn't represent Islam, but did represent the gun owners in America? Seriously? It's like the left wants to fix the gun problem and not the person problem.
What are you trying to say? That all muslims in america are a potential threat, or what, not really following?

Deus

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
ZD Champion
The latest statistics are in and 50% of Brits identify as not having a religion. Religion as a whole is on the decline with the number of non religious growing. There is however a higher percentage of Muslims than we have seen before.

Obama is the worst presedent we have had. He throws everyone under the bus, refuses more bills than he accepts, and is a massive broken record with the Facade of an antique.

He thinks limiting gun ownership will help in stopping crime, when these people had guns dating back to their college years.

Here's another thing the Gov. has done:

Get rid of specific military equipment for the Police. They can't have armored cars, and most armor penetrating weapons.

The latest statistics are in and 50% of Brits identify as not having a religion. Religion as a whole is on the decline with the number of non religious growing. There is however a higher percentage of Muslims than we have seen before.
Religion is the bane of Justice, Government, and Law. This makes me feel better that at least one country isn't going to devolve into morronic Theocracy behind a drape.

Stitch

Lost
I know it may not exactly be current, but I'm surprised the events in Cologne, Germany on New Years Eve were never talked about on this forum. I mean, it was one of the worst cases of mass sexual assault/molestation in the western world, and I'm surprised it never came to my attention until recently.

It's not like I didn't hear about it, it's more that things like this make me so incredibly sick that I've grown tired of even talking about it. Sexual assault is bad enough on its own, but in this case it gets tied in with the rampant racism that is unbelievably, despite our history, resurfacing in my country. All I can do is shake my head in disgust - both at the fact that something like a mass sexual assault is even happening in a major German city in this day and age, and at the fact that our country's resident idiots immediately started to blame it on foreigners.

Stitch

Lost
It's not like I didn't hear about it, it's more that things like this make me so incredibly sick that I've grown tired of even talking about it. Sexual assault is bad enough on its own, but in this case it gets tied in with the rampant racism that is unbelievably, despite our history, resurfacing in my country. All I can do is shake my head in disgust - both at the fact that something like a mass sexual assault is even happening in a major German city in this day and age, and at the fact that our country's resident idiots immediately started to blame it on foreigners.
The trouble is that it was foreigners.
City police chief Wolfgang Albers called it "a completely new dimension of crime". The men were of Arab or North African appearance, he said.

Hence why I feel a total travel ban needs to be issued for middle eastern countries. Not because of Ethnicity, not because of religion, but because we cannot take a risk letting the sick minded in our borders.

DekuNut

Emperor of Rigel
Hence why I feel a total travel ban needs to be issued for middle eastern countries. Not because of Ethnicity, not because of religion, but because we cannot take a risk letting the sick minded in our borders.
True, but don't forget, there are already a good number inside our borders as well.

What would you do if there was war in your country and you had to flee to survive? How'd you feel if whatever country you were trying to flee to would just build a wall and lock you out because out of millions of people fleeing from terror a few are assholes?

DekuNut

Emperor of Rigel
Also, that would keep the brilliant and good-minded out as well. Einstein was immigrant. So is Arnold Schwarzenegger. There's both good and bad people in there, as there are in all populations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom