• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Current Events Thread

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
All Out said:
The bill is killed! Virginia's horrible anti-gay bill that would have made it legal to discriminate against anyone even perceived to be lesbian, gay, or bi will never see the light of day.
https://www.facebook.com/AllOutOrg/...74828.169042736456594/962234050470788/?type=1

Thank god this bill was stopped. Good to see something nice happen for the human rights movement. Laws like that have to be stopped from ever passing, and the ones that already are passed have to be gotten rid of.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/02/who-really-owns-your-drones
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/miss-a-payment-good-luck-moving-that-car/?_r=1

I remember even a few years ago, people thought this kind of stuff was just conspiracy (even though it's been going on for years, but now it's more prominent than ever). More and more, complete control of all devices (now even cars and drones) is handed over to private companies that have no oversight, and in many cases are for all intents and purposes, above the law. I feel like this really says "told you so" to all the people who said opposition to DRM and copyright was silly and a waste of time.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I saw that the other day too. I understand not tolerating threats made against other students, but the intent really should have been taken into consideration. Suspension definitely sounds a bit drastic. Here is the article I saw on it.
It wasn't even a threat, though. Like, it was literally just "If you where this, you will disappear". No threatening at all.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What's the real issue here? The woman missed her car payment. Why should she be able to continue operating something when she failed to adhere to contract she signed? Before you hide behind the sentimentality of "but her daughter," think of all the other people who are not well-to-do who have familial and financial issues. Would you grant them the same exception that you do to the woman?

If I miss my utilities bill, my utilities get shut off.
If I miss my car bill, car gets shut off.
If the item I want to buy in the supermarket costs $10.09 and I have $10.08, I do not get the item.

As far as I'm concerned this is just how the real world works. Peoples' circumstances change all of the time. Things sometimes aren't fair. But even when the cards are stacked against you, you have to play according to the law of the land...or the law of the company who actually owns your items.

A few suspensions is not going to break his back. He should not have threatened anyone. As stupid as the suspension is, it will definitely teach him to respect the rules.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
A few suspensions is not going to break his back. He should not have threatened anyone. As stupid as the suspension is, it will definitely teach him to respect the rules.
But... he didn't threaten anyone. Literally he said "This ring can make you disappear.", which if you didn't known, is what it does in the books.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But... he didn't threaten anyone. Literally he said "This ring can make you disappear.", which if you didn't known, is what it does in the books.
The people who are trained (really they aren't properly trained) in school rhetoric will register that as a threat. It doesn't make sense to a commoner like you and I. But that's how people on school boards think. That's how they're told to think.

I know what the One Ring does. I'm sure the princ did too. But they absolutely have to register that as a threat. Imagine if the boy really WAS threatening people and was hiding behind a childlike guise (this is not unreal-- http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/22/girls-who-tried-kill-slender-man-264218.html ), and the principal or whoever let the boy fly under the radar.

What's the real issue here? The woman missed her car payment. Why should she be able to continue operating something when she failed to adhere to contract she signed? Before you hide behind the sentimentality of "but her daughter," think of all the other people who are not well-to-do who have familial and financial issues. Would you grant them the same exception that you do to the woman?

If I miss my utilities bill, my utilities get shut off.
If I miss my car bill, car gets shut off.
If the item I want to buy in the supermarket costs $10.09 and I have $10.08, I do not get the item.

As far as I'm concerned this is just how the real world works. Peoples' circumstances change all of the time. Things sometimes aren't fair. But even when the cards are stacked against you, you have to play according to the law of the land...or the law of the company who actually owns your items.

Get out of the MD if you're just going regurgitate incoherent gibberish that's the product of tumblr and textbooks put in a blender. You clearly have no intention of discussing anything. You like every post regardless of if it completely contradicts your previous post. Better yet, stop posting entirely. Your signature says "I'M A TROLL", but a few of your posts alone make that obvious enough to make your signature redundant. Nothing you post in these threads even makes any sense, and amounts essentially to spam.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You clearly have no intention of discussing anything.
Excuse me? I asked what the issue was with that one link you posted. I didn't see anything of note. If I have no intention of discussing anything, well, that's one thing. But for you to shut me down without addressing my question would make you nothing but a hypocrite. Maybe it's YOU that needs to get out the MD?

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
It wasn't even a threat, though. Like, it was literally just "If you where this, you will disappear". No threatening at all.
Oh, I completely agree. From the articles, it doesn't sound like a threat to me at all. However, the school treated it as such and like I said above, they should have taken the intent of the "threat" into consideration before taking such drastic action.

.... Things sometimes aren't fair. But even when the cards are stacked against you, you have to play according to the law of the land...or the law of the company who actually owns your items.
This is actually a great argument for tyranny. If we actually look at what law is, you might notice that it tends to place the cards that you noted 'are stacked against you' in someone else's favor. Fairness isn't even an option where law and authority are the things directly stacking the cards; You have no say in the matter. You may agree to a contract, but only as it's a means to your own survival. Again you have no say as to what's written in the contract. You only get to accept your exploitation and have a chance of living a better life, or suffer.

Another analogy might be a game of monopoly. Think of coming into a game midway or near the end. Chances are that most if not all of the property is already taken and the only way to get anywhere is by landing on owned property and paying rent. The only way you might get any sort of break is through sheer luck (e.g. you get a chance card in your favor). If you were a property owner, you get to collect the rent which provides the source of your income. If you don't own any, then the only means of getting income (to pay your rent) is through renting your capacity as a worker/laborer, and the person who picks you to be their laborer also decides how much your labor is worth despite what your rents are, or if even what they pay you is justifiable or 'fair'.

The differences between those who own the property and those who don't is the central tenet of class struggle. Law is there to enforce the ownership despite the fact that the entirety of the 'wealth' is create by those renting out their labor to survive. (i.e. money can't build hotels. Only laborers can do that).

Notes:

(Pëtr Kropotkin's Pamplet Law and Authority § I, 2nd paragraph)
In existing States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it.

If the road between two villages is impassable, the peasant says: — “There should be a law about parish roads.” If a park-keeper takes advantage of the want of spirit in those who follow him with servile observance and insults one of them, the insulted man says: — “There should be a law to enjoin more politeness upon park-keepers.” If there is stagnation in agriculture or commerce, the husbandman, cattle-breeder, or corn speculator argues, “It is protective legislation that we require.” Down to the old clothesman there is not one who does not demand a law to protect his own little trade. If the employer lowers wages or increases the hours of labour, the politician in embryo exclaims, “We must have a law to put all that to rights,” instead of telling the workers that there are other, and much more effectual means of settling these things straight; namely, recovering from the employer the wealth of which he has been despoiling the workmen for generations.
What's important to take from this is that law is simply a means of trying to make up for some sort of social (and sometimes technical) deficiency where as the social deficiency is inherent in a broken social system. Law can't fix underlying problem. Also take a look at Kropotkin's Conquest of Bread

(Conquest of Bread Chapter 1 § II)
We, in civilized societies, are rich. Why then are the many poor? Why this painful drudgery for the masses? Why, even to the best paid workman, this uncertainty for the morrow, in the midst of all the wealth inherited from the past, and in spite of the powerful means of production, which could ensure comfort to all in return for a few hours of daily toil? [...] It is because, taking advantage of alleged rights acquired in the past, these few appropriate to-day two-thirds of the products of human labour, and then squander them in the most stupid and shameful way. It is because, having reduced the masses to a point at which they have not the means of subsistence for a month, or even for a week in advance, the few only allow the many to work on condition of themselves receiving the lion’s share.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I understand where Storm is coming from with the car thing, but I highly disagree about the part with the kid. These suspensions are for nothing. First, I believe it's stated that the principal hadn't seen/read LOTR, and so didn't know what the ring did. Anyways, it still isn't really a threat. He was talking about the ring, not saying that HE was going to make the friend disappear.
As for the others, the first one was a bit of an overreaction, but I'll let it pass. But look at that second suspension and tell me it isn't a load of BS. With a straight face.

Left-wing uprisings against ISIS in Rojava

(http://www.cvltnation.com/anarchists-vs-isis-the-revolution-in-syria-nobodys-talking-about/)
While most Kurdish groups, especially those the US is friendly with, would some day like to establish a Kurdish state, in Rojava they have leap-frogged over the idea of the nation state into a more advanced system that they call Democratic Confederalism.
[...]

In the cantons of Rojava, there is a small central government with an absolute minimum of 40% female delegates, but most of the day-to-day work of running society happens at a local level, street by street and village by village. Democratic Confederalism's chief architect, Abdullah Ocalan, says that “Ecology and feminism are central pillars” of the system he has spearheaded, something that you would have to go very far to the margins to hear from Western politicians. In Rojava, men who beat their wives face total ostracism from the community, making their lives in a highly social, connected society virtually impossible. Instead of a police force and jails, 'peace committees' in each municipality work to defuse the cycles of inter-family revenge killings by consensual agreements between both sides – and it works.
(https://robertgraham.wordpress.com/2014/12/20/libertarian-revolution-in-rojava/)
...The education system in Rojava is non-traditional, rejecting ideas of hierarchy, power and hegemony. Instead of following a teacher-student hierarchy, students teach each other and learn from each other’s experience. Students learn what is useful, in practical matters; they ‘search for meaning,’ as we were told, in intellectual matters. They do not memorize; they learn to think for themselves and make decisions, to become the subjects of their own lives. They learn to be empowered and to participate in Democratic Autonomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom