• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Current Events Thread

Djinn

and Tonic
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/13/politics/john-boehner-bartender-poison/index.html

John Boehner's former bartender once made plans to slip poison into the House speaker's drink, or shoot him and drive away, authorities say.
Among the reasons driving the alleged assassination plot: Michael Hoyt heard voices that told him Boehner was evil. He thought the Ohio Republican was the devil. He blamed Boehner for the Ebola outbreak. And he thought the speaker was mean to him.

The 44-year-old Butler County, Ohio, man was indicted last week on charges that he planned to murder Boehner -- a plan that he made after being fired from the Wetherington Golf & Country Club in West Chester.

The story of Hoyt's arrest was first reported by WCPO in Cincinnati. According to a complaint filed in federal court in Cincinnati and obtained by CNN, police learned the details of his alleged plans after Hoyt called officers on Oct. 29.

"Hoyt told the officer he was Jesus Christ and he was going to kill Boehner because Boehner was mean to him at the country club and because Boehner is responsible for Ebola," United States Capitol Police Special Agent Christopher Desrosiers reported. "Hoyt advised he had a loaded Beretta .380 automatic and he was going to shoot Boehner and take off."

Police said Hoyt also emailed Boehner's wife, Debbie, twice.

"If I had any intention of hurting Mr. Boehner, I could have poisoned his wine at Wetherington many, many times," police said he wrote in one of his emails.

Police said Hoyt told them he heard voices that told him Boehner is evil, and that he wanted to expose the Ohio Republican as the devil. He blamed Boehner for the Ebola outbreak and believed the speaker was among a group of country club patrons who complained about his service and cost him his job.

He said he hoped sharing his threats with law enforcement officers would prompt Boehner to apologize, and force him to discuss the issue of Ebola.

Police seized guns and ammunition from the man's home. They said he kept a notebook that contained the words "John Boehner" and "Ebola," and that Hoyt had been treated for a psychotic episode about two years ago. Police placed Hoyt on a 72-hour psychiatric ward hold.

Boehner's spokesman, Michael Steel, issued a brief statement acknowledging the report Tuesday evening.

"Speaker Boehner is aware of this situation, and sincerely thanks the FBI, the Capitol Police and local authorities in Ohio for their efforts," he said.

A source familiar with the situation said Boehner and some of his key staff members have known about Hoyt since November, but didn't know the timing of the indictment.

Boehner and his wife also had a "level of awareness" of Hoyt, since the country club is near their home and he had worked there for several years, the source said.
I know it's not as intelligent and iron clad as the CIA's exploding cigar assassination method, but still weird to see that something like this actually goes on in the modern era.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
@Boehner incident
I'm not even sure if it is legitimate. These plots get whackier and whackier as time goes on. It's almost as if the would-be assassins are doing it just for their two seconds of fame, or out of sheer boredom. I am not buying these claims that he was "psychotic" or any of that "IM GOD" hullabaloo. The news too often cites mental illness in reference to the crazy (read: people who plot to or succeed in killing/harming others) people. I think they're just bored out of their minds.

It's good that they are being removed from society.

Djinn

and Tonic
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-is-building-a-600-mile-great-wall-to-shield-from-isis-2015-1#ixzz3OroMYVCT

Saudi Arabia Is Building A 600-Mile 'Great Wall' To Shield Itself From ISIS

When a raiding party from Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant attacked a Saudi border post last week, it was no mere hit on a desert outpost.

The jihadists were launching an assault on the new, highest-profile effort by Saudi Arabia to insulate itself from the chaos engulfing its neighbours.

The Saudis are building a 600-mile-long “Great Wall” — a combined fence and ditch — to separate the country from Iraq to the north.

Much of the area on the Iraqi side is now controlled by Isil, which regards the ultimate capture of Saudi Arabia, home to the “Two Holy Mosques” of Mecca and Medina, as a key goal.

The proposal had been discussed since 2006, at the height of the Iraqi civil war, but work began in September last year after Isil’s charge through much of the west and north of the country gave it a substantial land border with the Kingdom to the south.

The border zone now includes five layers of fencing with watch towers, night-vision cameras, and radar cameras.

Riyadh also sent an extra 30,000 troops to the area.

It is not the only fence with which Saudi Arabia has chosen to surround itself. Despite the difficulty of access to westerners, the country is relatively open to fellow Muslim nations, particularly during the Haj season when pilgrims from across the world come to Mecca and Medina.

However, that is changing in changing times.

It has also created a physical barrier along parts of the even longer, 1,000-mile border with Yemen to the south.

The attack last week is the sort of incident the Saudis hope to avoid. Three border guards, including General Oudah al-Belawi, commander of border operations in Saudi Arabia’s northern zone, were killed.

All four attackers also died.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/saudi-arabia-is-building-a-600-mile-great-wall-to-shield-from-isis-2015-1#ixzz3OxYw3JeR
So is anyone else amazed that here in the modern 21st century, with all of our politics, industry, technology, globalization, and the idea that we live in the modern age of reason, first world nations are having to build elaborate fortifications across their borders to keep out the rampaging barbarian hordes.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
That wouldn't work very well today. I actually laughed a little when I saw the title. But I understand why they would want to. It's kind of sad actually.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I think it's difficult to argue that there is no racism within the US Law Enforcement Agencies. Racism is sadly still a huge issue in the United States, and lately it's being shown to the public more than it usually would be.

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

キラ

Yo!
Of course America has racists, and other countries do too. But it's always been there, and it's just getting more attention lately because of the huge media spectacle of the Trayvon Martin case, which is why the Mike Brown case was big, because people started to say "Another black man was killed by a white man." So people decided to look for it and that's why people think it's a big issue now. It's not a small issue, but there are cases where black people kill white people. It's just not covered because the other way around doesn't get ratings because the media knows that people will buy into the idea that the same racism that caused slavery is running rampant. It exists, but it's not running rampant.

I realize I'm a bit late on this topic but now seemed like a good opportunity to share my opinion.

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Of course America has racists, and other countries do too. But it's always been there, and it's just getting more attention lately because of the huge media spectacle of the Trayvon Martin case, which is why the Mike Brown case was big, because people started to say "Another black man was killed by a white man." So people decided to look for it and that's why people think it's a big issue now. It's not a small issue, but there are cases where black people kill white people. It's just not covered because the other way around doesn't get ratings because the media knows that people will buy into the idea that the same racism that caused slavery is running rampant. It exists, but it's not running rampant.

I realize I'm a bit late on this topic but now seemed like a good opportunity to share my opinion.
I said this in an earlier post, but the reason we don't hear about the other way around is because the killers are actually arrested and processed successfully, unlike the unfortunately high number of cases where white cops/men kill unarmed black citizens. It's not just a matter of "Hey, whites are killing blacks!", it's a matter of "Hey, whites are killing blacks and getting away with it!".

It's becoming a much bigger deal nowadays because of social media. Ferguson is a perfect example. Tumblr and Twitter blew up with everything that was happening there, so it was almost impossible to ignore. Now we see more and more cases brought to light because people are taking advantage of how fast things spread on social media to get the word out. You're right, it has always been present, but it was a lot easier to ignore back then. These days, it's not. More and more people are starting to actually notice that it's happening. That's why it's a bigger deal now.

The problem I see for most people is understanding the differences between institutionalized racism and that (racism) of the individual. Darren Wilson might not necessarily be a racist, yet his job intrinsically enforces oppression of the working class where people of color tend to be the most marginalized. Another misconception is that slavery went away, despite the fact in the U.S. you're still forced to find a job or be without your basic needs.

キラ

Yo!
I said this in an earlier post, but the reason we don't hear about the other way around is because the killers are actually arrested and processed successfully, unlike the unfortunately high number of cases where white cops/men kill unarmed black citizens.
Maybe you're right. But, can I see some statistics on that?

The problem I see for most people is understanding the differences between institutionalized racism and that (racism) of the individual. Darren Wilson might not necessarily be a racist, yet his job intrinsically enforces oppression of the working class where people of color tend to be the most marginalized. Another misconception is that slavery went away, despite the fact in the U.S. you're still forced to find a job or be without your basic needs.
Maybe you're right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom