• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gender of Zoras

so I'm wondering, in Majora's Mask, are there both male and female Zoras? Like Zora Link has short hair in the back, as does his bassist, but other Zoras look feminine and have longer hair. Anyone know?

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
i think so, Lulu can lay eggs but Mikau can't so yes there are male and female zoras

David

But you called me here...
Since there are eggs and female names for some of the characters, we can assume that there are male and female Zora. We know from Twilight Princess that there is a queen of the Zora, and in Ocarina of Time, there was Princess Ruto. Both of them were obviously female. And we know that there are males: Prince Ralis from Twilight Princess, and the drummer, bassist, and Miku from Majora's Mask are all male. So to answer your question, there are in fact male and female Zoras.

I mean other than Ruto/Lulu, where can you find and differentiate between the two genders in OoT and MM?

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
Nintendo has the habit of only giving main story characters a unique look. Therefore characters like Ruto, Lulu and the Zora queen in TP have a feminine look, while the standard Zora don't have gender specific features. The same goes for the Gorons, Deku and basically every animal in the Zelda world except for the humans (because we humans would find it strange that a race resembling us has individuals with no gender differences). It is not uncommon in the animal world that there are no 'outside' differences between male and female animals. We want to see the Zora as humans and we all know that human males and females look different, but Zoras are not human so they don't have to follow the different human design for males and females. And I think Nintendo doesn't want to invest time in making two basis models for individuals that you only talk to once and then ignore because they are just there to fill the landscape and have no benefit to the adventure. It would be fun to see more unique individuals, but I don't think that Nintendo will break the tradition of unique story beneficial characters and standard character with a basic, genderless design.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Agreed with everyone else. There ARE female and male zoras, you can tell mainly from the important characters in games, but in TP you can tell because female zoras have different bodies than the male zoras. Caleb Simpson can somewhat prove it if you go to his video walkthrough here on ZD in the TP section. Right before he enters the 3rd dungeon of the game, he points it out.

Pen

The game is on!
I do agree that the Zoras look a little feminine, but I really don't think that Zoras are like the Gerudos (almost only females).

400px-TP_Zora.png

Think of a fish, it looks quite similar to all of the other fish, perhaps the same with the Zoras.
To be honest I even think that Prince Ralis in TP looks quite feminine. :)

Djinn

and Tonic
Even for a sidequest race added for some fantasy sflavor there is still alittle bit of variation among the Zoras.

15918.jpeg

It is standard for a side species of people added to a game to look the same unless there are a few notable individuals. The Dwarves and Elves in Final fantasy follow this. Every single member of the race uses the same character model except maybe the king and a single named individual meant to push the story in some way.

OoT was the same, all Zoras looked like this except Ruto and King Zora.
images

And every Zora to appear in the oracles used the one character model. Same as the Gerudo and the Goron. But the appearance of Ruto, Laruto, Lulu, Rutela, and one of the more semi-androgynous guards in TP
images

Lead me to think that there are female zoras. They just do not appear very often at all.

Djinn

and Tonic
I've always hated the fact thatyou can't figure out weather their male or female (outside of the really obvious ones(a.k.a. Ruto)). In fact, I don't like the Zoras period. I have to go finish later

To be fair, it is impossible to tell if fish are male or female in the real world. A hybrid fish/human might create the same problem to the beholder. You can only wonder just what they might think about Hyians looking at them. Strange people sometimes covered in hair, with no webbing on their feet. Wearing way too much clothing.

We actually have enough examples of female Zora to establish what they look like for the most part. Only Nintendo is lazy about placing more of them in games when there is no story driven purpose for them to appear. While we have still not seen a single female Goron, Gerudo child, female bulblin or moblin, or Sheikah unrelated to Impa. There just has not been a need for one to be in a game yet.

Caeda

Keyblade Master
I'm back! Sorry about that, we had to leave that second.

To be fair, it is impossible to tell if fish are male or female in the real world. A hybrid fish/human might create the same problem to the beholder. You can only wonder just what they might think about Hyians looking at them. Strange people sometimes covered in hair, with no webbing on their feet. Wearing way too much clothing.

We actually have enough examples of female Zora to establish what they look like for the most part. Only Nintendo is lazy about placing more of them in games when there is no story driven purpose for them to appear. While we have still not seen a single female Goron, Gerudo child, female bulblin or moblin, or Sheikah unrelated to Impa. There just has not been a need for one to be in a game yet.

You have a point there. I'm sure there are female Gorons, we just can't tell them apart from the rest. I don't know what is going on with the Moblins and I don't really want to know.

As for the Sheikah, I want them in Skyward Sword. It would make perfect sense, seeing as it's a preequal to Ocarina.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I personally do think that there are male and female Zoras, because they were shown in previous games. The only problem is that they aren't shown very much. The only Zoras that have been confirmed females were Lulu, Laruto, Ruto, and Queen Rutela. Other than that, you cannot be sure whether which Zoras are male or female. Females might exist, but they do not seem to be shown in the games as much as males do.

I totally forgot Laruto existed...

Anyways, What is with Nintendo not making it so that you can tell which ones are the girls?

Perhaps it is just a time-saving method. I think people tend to assume that something is male until they see confirmation of the opposite, and what Nintendo tend to do instead of creating creatures noticeably male or female they just make androgynous creatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom