• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gen V: Does Unova in Black/White 1 Seem Unfinished to You?

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I was looking at the maps for Unova in Black 1 and 2, and I noticed that the Unova in BW1 seems sparse compared to other regions. Even if the earlier regions were smaller, they still utilized almost all the space available and made interconnecting paths to make trekking across it more interesting. Not so with BW1 Unova; it's just a southeastern peninsula, then the lower part of the center island, a ring of cities and landmarks following the sub tunnels, and then the Pokemon League tacked on top.

What makes me think this even more, though, is the landmarks drawn into the empty spaces of BW1 Unova. Reversal Mountain is seen on the map but never visited. There are also conspicuously empty forests in the northeastern and southwestern parts which beg to be filled in; this is also confirmed by looking at the Subway map and noticing the yellow and maroon lines. These areas are all populated in BW2, of course, with Aspertia City in the southwest, Humilau City in the northeast, and Reversal Mountain in the central east. (The only point of dissent is that the blue line still doesn't lead anywhere. Perhaps they wanted to add yet another area to the map but still couldn't get it worked out in time.)

This makes me think that, since they were likely working on X and Y at the same time as BW1 was wrapping up, they had to rush near release date and cut out parts that still weren't working. They had their strong linear narrative down pat but had to trim off some of the side stuff. This could serve to explain why the next games were direct sequels instead of merely the same thing slightly tweaked as it has always been before; they used that year to fix the other stuff while their main force was hard at work with X and Y, as well as using this opportunity to create a somewhat different Pokemon story.

What do you guys think? Is this something you noticed as well, or am I speaking balderdash?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Nintendo releasing an un-finished game? That would be Onix-ceptable! I hope it wasn't the case.

C

coolkoalakid

I don't know. . . I know Unova is supposed to be based on New York City, and it shows.

Yeah I heard about this controversy where they think the area above Castelia city is based on ground zero because there is construction equipment area and it is pretty barren.

Fig

The Altruist
The game wasn't unfinished, but rather had an unfinished feeling to it. Even when I only defeated the Champion and the extra features were about to appear, I felt as if something was missing in the game. Perhaps that is why, Nintendo and GameFreak decided to create Pokémon Black 2/White 2, and with Black 2/White 2, I did felt more of a sense of completion as I continued to make progress in my game file. All in all, I'm glad that Black 2/White 2 finished what Black/White started. :3

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I too felt B/W were unfinished. You couldn't rebattle anyone, well Gym Leaders anyway..and the whole region just felt like it was empty after beating the E4. It's hard to explain, but yeah I agree with how B/W feels like an unifinished game. No question about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom