• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gardevoir Vs. Gallade

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm going to assume this has been a discussion since the very introduction of Kirlia's alternate evolution, Gallade, in Generation IV. Being part Fighting (and having a design to showcase that), it's naturally a much more physical fighter than the once standalone evolution, Gardevoir, so, in turn, it's naturally going to appeal to more physical attack-oriented players. Gardevoir, being a pure Psychic type, would appeal to the opposite side of the crowd.

But with Gardevoir now being part Fairy, the discussion has taken on a whole new form. Gardevoir now has all-new advantages and disadvantages that go along with being a Fairy type, altering the strategy required to get optimal performance out of her.

For example, she's now weak to the Poison type, so sending her out to fight against them because Psychic is strong against Poison may not be the best move in certain scenarios. She's even more of a powerhouse against Fighting types now, though, due to the Fairy type being both strong against and resistant to them. I'm sure this would lead some people to say that Gardevoir is automatically superior to Gallade, since she could wipe him out with a move like Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast, but that's not exactly what this is about. I'm not pitting these two up against each other, I'm discussing their specific type match-ups & stats and how they correlate to different playstyles.

So the question posed is: Which do you prefer? The Psychic/Fairy Gardevoir? Or the Psychic/Fighting Gallade?

Editing this picture in because it's just too awesome to not be.

gardevoir_and_gallade_by_scorpiutza-d3h6cdk.jpg

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I think Gallade has better battle ability than Gardevoir because he can use many different typed attacks without TMs like Leaf Blade and Night Slash. Gardevoir is more restricted to mostly Psychic and now Fairy moves giving her a less diverse move pool.

Although, if these two were to go head to head, Gardevoir would win by a longshot because of the Psychic/Fairy typing and the fact she has a mega form.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think Gallade has better battle ability than Gardevoir because he can use many different typed attacks without TMs like Leaf Blade and Night Slash. Gardevoir is more restricted to mostly Psychic and now Fairy moves giving her a less diverse move pool.

Learning moves without TM's is basically irrelevant now, thanks to them not breaking after one use (a change I openly welcome).

Also, what are you talking about? Gardevoir absolutely has a wide range of moves outside of Psychic and Fairy, pooling in from Electric, Grass, Ghost, Normal, and even Fighting.

I prefer Gardevoir a lot more to Gallade, but I think that's because I don't like fighting types too much. I used Gardevoir up until late 30s I think, but switched her out to use Meowstic.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I haven't gotten to use Gardevoir or Gallade yet in Y, so the metagame on how to manage her new typing is gonna take some time to get used to.

All the same, though, I've always like Gardevoir more than Gallade. Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the Fighting type (I tend to get other non-Fighting Pokemon to learn Fighting-type moves - like Gardevoir) but because sometimes you just gotta go for style. She's one of the most beautifully-designed Pokemon, and I like using her in competitive battle even though I know other uglier Psychic types are technically better. (I don't care if Jynx is a better fighter, I'm not gonna use a black-faced racial stereotype! (Ok technically purple-faced, but you know what I meant!))

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I've tried both Gallade & Gardevoir before and after the fairy type thing. Both if them have their ups and downs, but I think since Gardevoir has a new type, it pretty much makes them equally good. Gardevoir is a solid Sp attacker and Gallade is a solid phys attacker, so you'll be able to chose which one will fit your team better. Personally, however, I like Gardevoir over Gallade, even before the fairy type add.

May I just point out that both Gallade and Gardevoir have high Sp. Def and a lower Defense, allowing both of them to tank more special moves (except physhock), but are left more vulnerable to Physical moves, where Gallade shines most, despite his typing disadvantages to his Gen III counterpart.

Sorry if I'm necromancing, but I just though this was a point worth bringing up.

Skunk

Floof
I like Gardevoir more because I tend to enjoy Psychic Types in general. Also, I think the new Fairy Type mechanic is really neat and opens up for some more interesting strategies. So yeah, Gardevoir over Gallade. also waifu did I just

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom