• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ganon's "Monsters"

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
Do you think that Ganon's monsters are evil replicas of natural hyrulean animals he creates out of dark magic, or that Ganon uses his power to take control of the animals and make them do his bidding.

I think he uses his magic to take over their minds. Ganon's mind can be in many places at one time (thanks to his Triforce piece), so he would be able to control every one of his "victims".

However, I also think he uses his magic to create certain creatures, such as floormasters and flare dancers, and to reanimate deceased creatures, such as stalfos and redeads.

B

blhand26

HeroDescendant said:
Do you think that Ganon's monsters are evil replicas of natural hyrulean animals he creates out of dark magic, or that Ganon uses his power to take control of the animals and make them do his bidding.
I think Ganon creates his own monsters out of dark magic.
Because to be honest even though he probably would be able to control all those minds, it's to much of a hassle. And if Ganon can make his own monsters why not just do that. Plus if Ganon was controlling the minds of every single one of his monster i think they would be a little smarter and harder to defeat.
Just my opinion. :):)
You know now that I think about it If Ganon can make his own monsters why not make them smart? Hello!!!! And if he can overlook where all his monsters are and take control of their minds why not do it right before Link storms in to save Zelda. Or before He even gets real far in his Quest when he's weak! You know. Now that I think about it Ganon is an Idiot. He has sooooo Much power but he keeps getting beat by a kid half of his age (more or less) o_Oo_Oo_O
Just my obersavtion. :)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
While I think some creatures are created by Ganon, I'm thinking that some of the monsters might be "creatures that spring up in the land" when evil influences are about - like hate personified, in a fairly animist way.

I remember that the Poe Salesman in OoT talks about Poes being "spirits of pure hatred" that spring up in the ravaged land.

The monsters could also be corrupted wildlife, animals and plants corrupted by evil influences in the land/Ganon on the move...

At least some of them could be "normal" malevolent wildlife that's just there and only "comes out of the shadows" when something is wrong in the land.

I'm a fan of the anime "The Tweleve Kingdoms." I also read the light novels. It's high fantasy with a Chinese flavor. In the world in which it is set, when a kingdom's king goes bad, dies, or goes missing, the land beomes infested with youma (demons, beast-type) that invade populated areas. It's' a sign of things being out of balance, a degredation of the land. Perhaps Hyrule suffers something similar? When the land is out of spiritual balance, monsters spring up/come out of the isolated places to attack people.

Just some of my thoughts.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
While I think some creatures are created by Ganon, I'm thinking that some of the monsters might be "creatures that spring up in the land" when evil influences are about - like hate personified, in a fairly animist way.

I remember that the Poe Salesman in OoT talks about Poes being "spirits of pure hatred" that spring up in the ravaged land.

The monsters could also be corrupted wildlife, animals and plants corrupted by evil influences in the land/Ganon on the move...

At least some of them could be "normal" malevolent wildlife that's just there and only "comes out of the shadows" when something is wrong in the land.

I'm a fan of the anime "The Tweleve Kingdoms." I also read the light novels. It's high fantasy with a Chinese flavor. In the world in which it is set, when a kingdom's king goes bad, dies, or goes missing, the land beomes infested with youma (demons, beast-type) that invade populated areas. It's' a sign of things being out of balance, a degredation of the land. Perhaps Hyrule suffers something similar? When the land is out of spiritual balance, monsters spring up/come out of the isolated places to attack people.

Just some of my thoughts.

Thats an interesting idea. But I don't think that creatures such as helmasaurs are naturally violent animals, they are herbivores after all (you can tell by their teeth, in TP if you look really closely you'll see). Some other creatures that I don't think are naturally evil are dodongos, kargaroks, octoroks, tektites, moldorms, peahats, leevers, bullbos, keese, chuchus, and many others. Sure some may be violent in nature, like dodongos, but I would think of that more as instinct, not evil. Monsters like floormasters, redeads, stalfos, bubbles, poes, and freezards would probably fit your description though.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Now that you bring up Octorocks...

Over on the North Castle forums, someone poised the question of how octorocks feed and what purpose their rock-spitting serves (is it how they hunt their food?) I said that I thought they'd probably get their food more like a common octopus does and that the rock spitting is likely something they do in self-defense. When a predator or threat (such as Link) comes around, they let fly with the rocks to chase it off.

Maybe. It all depends on Nintendo's intent here, really, but I imagine that's how an animal like an octorock would operate in real life.

As far as herbivores being non-violent... that's not entirely true. Rhinos and elephants are herbivores and they can be very violent if provoked or sensing a threat. I recall stories out of India of farmers being killed trying to oust destructive herds of elephans from their fields. Rhinos charge at the slightest scent or sound (they have very bad eyesight). Bison and cattle are notoriously dangerous and easy to provoke. I'm mildly afraid of the deer here where I live - the does have been known to charge people if they unientionally get too close to a hidden fawn.

Of course, none of that is "evil," just nature.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I gathered more often than not that the enemies you encounter are natural creatures that dwell within the areas you visit. Sometimes they are just animals that are defending their area, or they are predatorial and look at Link as a good meal.

Maybe some creatures are ones that are completely conjured up by Ganon, but I remember more than one occasion where people will tell Link before he enters a dungeon that the creatures within it have been acting strange because of the evil magic that has recently come upon the area. So, the magic that is there would have tainted the natural creatures to be more violent perhaps, but I think it's not Ganon conjuring up the creature from scratch.

The dark magic he's put upon certain areas will sway the inhabitants to act out in different, more violent ways, but I don't think he's personally telling each one to destroy Link in a certain manner. They just end up seeing red and are angrier and are more aggressive under the dark magic.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I would say, that some of the monsters were created by Ganondorf e.g Floor masters, wall masters, and of course, Phantom Ganon. Some were Reanimated from corpses by Ganondorf e.g Redead, stalfos, maybe even poes. Some were possessed by 'the big G' e.g dark nuts, wizzrobes. Some, are probably just territorial as is mentioned in another thread, like Tektites, octorocks, deku scrubs and wolfos.

There's one thing no one has ever considered. Perhaps some are actually provoked by Link. Sometimes Link will attack before the monster necessarily attacks him. Some just plain don't attack him unless he actually walks in the way (for example the sparks in MC just follow a path along a wall but being electric shock link if he goes near them.)

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something

I think he uses his magic to take over their minds. Ganon's mind can be in many places at one time (thanks to his Triforce piece), so he would be able to control every one of his "victims".

However, I also think he uses his magic to create certain creatures, such as floormasters and flare dancers, and to reanimate deceased creatures, such as stalfos and redeads.

Well, AS many have said before, most of the creatures Ganon has created are darkness infecting everyday creatures, like frogs, fish, pigs, etc. The ones that do not resemble any type of animal, like the Chu-Chus, are mere manifestations of his power.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
Well, AS many have said before, most of the creatures Ganon has created are darkness infecting everyday creatures, like frogs, fish, pigs, etc. The ones that do not resemble any type of animal, like the Chu-Chus, are mere manifestations of his power.

But then why would he create something so utterly useless as a chu-chu? Why not just create infinite hoardes of dark nuts?

BoxTar

But then why would he create something so utterly useless as a chu-chu? Why not just create infinite hoardes of dark nuts?

Maybe certain enemies like Darknuts take a lot of his power to create. That's why he creates a massive hoard of Chu-Chus, which would take very little of his power, instead of hoards of Darknuts. That's why there isn't hoardes of bosses in Zelda games. that, and it would just be unbelievebly hard to fight 100 Gohmas (for example).

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
True. Maybe another part of it is that if Ganondorf were to create endless hoardes of dark nuts or bosses. What if there were mutiny? I'm sure not even he would be able to face say... 20 dark links. He has to be able to defeat anything he creates. Besides, who needs minions when you are the most powerful manpigboar thing of all time?

I would think that some of the monsters are created by him, and some are there from the beginning without any real relation to Ganon. I believe Chu Chus, Like Likes, Keese, and Dodongos are enemies that have no relation to Ganon. But things like Moblins, Darknuts, Lizalfos, and Armos Knights apparently do.

I distinctly remember hearing one time that Ganon's minions hate him more than Link does. I believe it either came from a quote or an instruction booklet, or somewhere like that. But I do remember somewhere this was said. If that is so, it could also mean that those creatures were not created by Ganon, but taken over by him and made to follow his rules or die.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I would think that some of the monsters are created by him, and some are there from the beginning without any real relation to Ganon. I believe Chu Chus, Like Likes, Keese, and Dodongos are enemies that have no relation to Ganon. But things like Moblins, Darknuts, Lizalfos, and Armos Knights apparently do.

I distinctly remember hearing one time that Ganon's minions hate him more than Link does. I believe it either came from a quote or an instruction booklet, or somewhere like that. But I do remember somewhere this was said. If that is so, it could also mean that those creatures were not created by Ganon, but taken over by him and made to follow his rules or die.

I think that's in one of the (non-canon) Valiant comics, second part of "Day of the Triforce." It's a take on early Zelda, first game and AoL... in that particular story, Zelda was storming up Death Mountain to take care of Ganon herself when he'd been weakened by the loss of the Triforce of Power for a day. She ran into enemies (Darknuts, I believe) who bascially told her that they hated Ganon even more than she and her people did, and if she failed to destroy him, she'd have to face their wrath.

The Valiant comics are all downloadable at North Castle... was where I read it. If that's what you're thinking of, however, keep in mind that it's not strictly/truly canon as far as the games go.

I think that's in one of the (non-canon) Valiant comics, second part of "Day of the Triforce." It's a take on early Zelda, first game and AoL... in that particular story, Zelda was storming up Death Mountain to take care of Ganon herself when he'd been weakened by the loss of the Triforce of Power for a day. She ran into enemies (Darknuts, I believe) who bascially told her that they hated Ganon even more than she and her people did, and if she failed to destroy him, she'd have to face their wrath.

The Valiant comics are all downloadable at North Castle... was where I read it. If that's what you're thinking of, however, keep in mind that it's not strictly/truly canon as far as the games go.

Right, and thanks for figuring out where I heard that from. I normally don't believe the comics, actually I don't believe them pretty much all the time. But there are some things in them that I like to think is possible, even though they are non-canon. I could easily see Ganon's minions hating him. I could also see Link's father being a knight of Hyrule, as he was in the comics. Since there isn't any in game backstory to support these ideas, i think they are the closest things to being a good story. Now the whole thing with Majora being a dancing, man eating, wanting to die beast, I'm not so sure about.

BoxTar

Yes, not all enemies are all created by ganondorf. Some are just regular Hyrule creatures, only they are very territorial, to put it in a nutshell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom