• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ganondorf Had Mercy?

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
In OoT we know that Links is sealed in the Sacred Realm and that Ganondorf went in the Sacred Realm to get the Triforce of Power. If Ganon was with Link and he saw that he had the Triforce, why he didnt kill him to get his piece.

I understand he left Link wander around to Zelda to appear but having two pieces of the Triforce it gotta be enough to find the remaining piece or at least feel it.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
No, Link had the blue cylinder protecting him, so no one could enter.
But in WW he had mercy, in the final fight he said "Do not fear, I do not want to kill you."

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As PhantomTriforce said, Ganondorf had mercy in WW, not OoT.

Ganondorf couldn't kill Link because Link was trapped inside the Chamber of Sages, while Ganondorf got the Triforce of Power and ruled Hyrule for 7 years. Besides that, I don't think Ganondorf really cared about Courage as an aspect. If you think about it, Ganny only wanted Power. If he TRULY wanted Zelda and Link's pieces, he would've killed them as soon as possible.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Also, given this part of his speech before the battle with him begins, he didn't know who the other 2 triforce holders would be at the time of the Triforce seizure ...

"... The 2 Triforce parts I couldn't capture 7 years ago .. I didn't expect they'd be hidden within you two!"

He likely learned who the mark bearers were at the same time that Link did .. in the Temple of Time via eavesdropping. He then captured Zelda and lured Link into his castle so he could obtain the True Force, but of course he failed miserably, lol.

Din Akera

Sniper
No, Link had the blue cylinder protecting him, so no one could enter.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by this? I don't think that is entirely correct.

and Link's spirit was sealed in the CHamber of Sages for 7 years, I have always believed to have been accessed through the sacred realm. Whereas Ganondorf only entered the sacred realm. When he touched the triforce, they split and, well you know the rest of the story. ^^

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I think I understand what the OP is asking. If I've got your post correctly, I think Ganondorf doesn't go straight after Link because he needs to make sure he gets all three pieces; this is why he bothered to capture Zelda after Sheik explained the importance of the Triforce to Link, such that Link would race after Ganondorf because he knew that Link would come and try to rescue Zelda, because then he would get the Triforce of Wisdom. What Link doesn't realize is that this is how Ganondorf is going to obtain all three pieces in one fell swoop, by defeating Link and Zelda in the final showdown, and obtaining all the Triforce pieces. This was the only way he could be certain that he would get all the Triforce pieces without any complications, because he knew that it was not only Link's destiny to stop Ganondorf, but also because Zelda actually told him to. There are several forces pushing for Link to go fight Ganondorf; if Ganondorf took the Triforce of Courage first, Zelda wouldn't rush in to get it back because she'd be much more cautious and less predictable.

If you're referring to after OoT, Ganondorf can't obtain the final Triforce piece (Courage) because the Triforce seemed to have been shattered when the Hero of Time brought it back with him to the child timeline, creating a time paradox. This is why the Triforce is shattered in WW.

Not to mention, there's always some sort of emphasis on obtaining all the Triforce fragments at the same time, hence why Ganondorf, Zelda, and Link are all engaged to some regard in almost every final battle where the Triforce is split.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The way I see it, there are 2 different Ganondorfs (and I do not mean physically 2 different Ganondorfs so do not confuse what I am saying). In OoT Ganondorf is this Gerudo leader who is trying to take over Hyrule (and succeeds until Link tears him down). He is power hungry and just wants to rule everything he sees. He's quite evil. In TP Ganondorf continues this plot and is even more deranged as he uses a whole other realm to try and take over Hyrule. We even see scenes of his creatures killing Hylian Knights. Ganondorf is so deranged, that in the flashback of him getting executed all he does is laugh when he realizes he can't be killed.

Now, in WW, we see a completely different Ganondorf. One who is not so deranged or evil. In fact, this Ganondorf is somewhat sympathetic. I know that he is trying to take over the world, but what many seem to miss is that he is trying to save old Hyrule. He wants to bring it back from the waters that it was condemned to. And not only does he want to bring Hyrule back to its former glory, but he isn't actively trying to harm anyone to do it. If Link had just given him the ToC then Ganondorf would have said "ok, kid, now get out of here." Ganondorf wasn't looking for Zelda to kill her, he was looking for her to get her power and be done with her. Ganondorf doesn't rage out into Ganon mode and he even seems to have a sliver of humanity when we see him talk about his plans. This is still an evil man, but also a man who knows that obaining power has its costs and he has seen him and the land he "loves" suffer from his thirst for power.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
In OoT we know that Links is sealed in the Sacred Realm and that Ganondorf went in the Sacred Realm to get the Triforce of Power. If Ganon was with Link and he saw that he had the Triforce, why he didnt kill him to get his piece.

I understand he left Link wander around to Zelda to appear but having two pieces of the Triforce it gotta be enough to find the remaining piece or at least feel it.
First off, we know that Ganondorf, evil as he is, is more of a greedy-evil than a destroy-everything-evil. He doesn't kill people just for the heck of it. He simply knocks Link aside with magic. He turns Ingo against Talon and Malon instead of destroying them all. His 7-year reign may have brought about destruction, but he isn't a mass murderer.

So, if he was able to see Link in the Sacred Realm, he'd probably not kill him. And, somebody else pointed out, he did not know who the two holders were. If he saw Link in the Sacred Realm, you would think he'd put two and two together, but the fact that he did nothing to Link in the SR seems to imply that he didn't see Link at all. Perhaps Link was protected by a barrier or held in a different location of the Chamber of Sages. In-game text says Ganondorf entered the Temple of Light:

"But, remember... Though you opened the Door of Time in the name of peace... Ganondorf, the Gerudo King of Thieves, used it to enter this forbidden Sacred Realm! He obtained the Triforce from the Temple of Light, and with its power, he became the King of Evil..." —Rauru

And then the in-game text also says the Chamber of Sages is within the ToL:

"This is the Chamber of Sages, inside the Temple of Light... " —Rauru

So, it seems the Chamber of Sages (where Link is presumably held for 7 years) is a separate room in the ToL, making me to assume that Ganondorf is able to touch the Triforce in the ToL (which is at the center of the Sacred Realm) without actually seeing Link at all. Prolly why he didn't try to kill Link. :>

Geh heh heh! Excellent work!
As I thought, you held the keys
to the Door of Time!
You have led me to the gates of
the Sacred Realm...
Yes, I owe it all to you, kid!
Ganondorf - OoT - after opening the door of time

He knew Link was there. It is impossible he didn't seen him because he talked to him. Too bad that we will never know what happened after that and before Ganon got out of the SR and Link was captured by Rauru and brought to sleep...

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Ganondorf - OoT - after opening the door of time

He knew Link was there. It is impossible he didn't seen him because he talked to him. Too bad that we will never know what happened after that and before Ganon got out of the SR and Link was captured by Rauru and brought to sleep...

I always interpreted that part as sort of a soliloquy ... not him talking to Link directly, but verbalizing his thoughts after watching Link open the Door of Time. Regardless, that line does show that yes he did know Link was there. But Link was likely sealed away in the Realm instantaneously and out of Ganondorf's sight (and mind since his purpose for invading the SR was to get the Triforce, not Link).

I always thought that simply Link fell asleep,his body where it was, and Ganondorf saw him, but didn't kill him. At this point, Link didn't have the ToC, so Ganondorf had no reason to kill Link. If he had known, he would have killed but he didn't- defiently that, wasn't an act of mercy. He just didn't see a reason to kill Link at that point.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I always thought that simply Link fell asleep,his body where it was, and Ganondorf saw him, but didn't kill him. At this point, Link didn't have the ToC, so Ganondorf had no reason to kill Link. If he had known, he would have killed but he didn't- defiently that, wasn't an act of mercy. He just didn't see a reason to kill Link at that point.

Yeah, he had no real reason to kill Link at that point. Link was just some measly child who he even toyed with outside of Hyrule Castle just moments before-hand. Ganondorf was may more powerful than Link was at that moment even before getting to the Triforce, so he had no reason to just mindlessly slay him like that. Plus, we all know Ganondorf is extremely arrogant, thought that he could just kill Link at any time if need-be, and didn't want to stray from his quest of getting the Triforce.

TwilightZelda

Zelda Fan #1
Now heres a thread that doesn't make sense to me, common ganon is a dark heartless-coldblooded killer, but if he did let you live then there is a reason why he wants you alive.

F

fanmail

Rauru:
However, you were too young to be the Hero of Time. Therefore your spirit was sealed here for seven years. And now that you are old enough, the time has come for you to awaken as the Hero of Time.

I doubt if Ganondorf actually saw Link in the Temple of Time. And if he did, he probably didn't see anyhing else that just a body. Because it seems that Links soul, Link spirit has been sealed in the Chambre of Sages.
And I even think Ganondorf had no idea it was Link who held the Triforce of Courage. And he had no idea that Princess Zelda held the Triforce of Wisdom. So that's why he never botherd to kill Link.

Oh besides that, if Ganondorf had really mercy in Wind Waker... why was he going to slay you with two samourai-swords, because he couldn't let you have a .. future?
Seriously. That guy had never mercy.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Rauru:

I doubt if Ganondorf actually saw Link in the Temple of Time. And if he did, he probably didn't see anyhing else that just a body. Because it seems that Links soul, Link spirit has been sealed in the Chambre of Sages.
And I even think Ganondorf had no idea it was Link who held the Triforce of Courage. And he had no idea that Princess Zelda held the Triforce of Wisdom. So that's why he never botherd to kill Link.

Ganondorf did know. The fact that he did was integral to the very reason and method behind his plan in OoT; the fact that he didn't kill Link was also necessary for his plan to work, and for him to get all three fragments with relative ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom