• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild "Ganon" is back

I don't see why ambiguous gender is a problem. I mean, a literal mask has none, but the actual Majora being an "it" makes it even more alien and mysterious. The things we fear most are the things we don't understand after all. And yes, Skull Kid is possessed and is the vessel, that doesn't mean Majora isn't responsible. Skull Kid did nothing malicious until Majora possessed him. Majora not stepping out to the center of the stage until the end is what most Zelda villains do anyway. Finally, it's says even more about Majora if "it" fits the nature of the game.

This applies to all Zelda villains, really (even the ones I spoke of.) What I found endearing about Ghirahim's speeches was that it was an vehement rant on how he's going to personally harm Link, rather than "the world will be covered in darkness" or anything like that.

Majora being alien and mysterious is exactly why it doesn't appeal to me. Yes, being mysterious does work up to a point, but I feel with Majora we're left with just too many unanswered questions. I mean, we never see Majora at all, really, not even at the very end of the game, it's still latched onto the mask even in the final battle. Even if you do count the final battle as seeing the real Majora, I still think it's a little late in the day. Stepping out to the center of the stage at the very end is never effective, in my opinion (that's why I think Ganondorf's weakest appearance was in Twilight Princess). It does fit the nature of the game, but I don't exactly mean that in a positive way, because I don't really like Majora's Mask. I, of course, acknowledge that it's a great game, but it just doesn't feel like a Zelda game to me, and Majora doesn't feel like your typical Zelda villain (to most people, this is seen as a positive, but for me...it's a negative).

As for Ghirahim, well...you're kinda right. He's no different to any other Zelda villain, really. In the end, they all fail in following through on their threats (although Ganondorf does actually kill Link in the Downfall Timeline). But, with Ghirahim, I never even felt a sense of threat. I mean, even though I'm not too crazy about Majora, I must admit that I did feel intimidated by its sheer presence. In the final battle, you do feel like Link's in danger here, but with Ghirahim I never felt threatened at all. I couldn't take him seriously. Despite this, though, I do still love the character because he's just so eccentric and colourful.

Well, I'd like to add that I'm pretty psyched for Ganon to return to the console. Everyone is all uppity because they think it's either going to be just Ganondof again or some cartoonish monstertBut, to put it into a little perspective we haven't seen straight up Ganon (not Ganondorf in Ganon form that doesn't count) since ... four swords? I for one am glad to see him make a debut in the new 3D format and believe there is alot of potential for him to strike out as a fresh take on a timeless character. To take Ganondorf's image of swave arrogance and dominateing control that they've built up during this Millennium and turn it into a tragic, horror inspiring creature of chaos and destruction could be a brilliant choice, investing people further into the web that is this lore. That being said there is alot of opportunity to mess up, or dumb down this opportunity, but I have high hopes all the same.

Reactions: Aku
Sorry, but I really don't see how slapping "Calamity" onto Ganon's name makes him any more "fresh and new" than he already is.

Having him circle the castle is cool, I guess, but that seems to indicate he's only after Zelda. He could have been traveling all over Hyrule or even following Link around, now those would have made him look threatening. Besides, we've seen this kind of thing before in TP.

I like the idea of Ganon breaking free of the seal relatively early in the story or at least having him speak to you in a manner similar to that of the other mysterious voice. In this manner he could threaten us and even give us a look into his past and motivations. Especially when exploring Gerudo desert. His insight and his views on his homeland would be interesting.

It would also be nice to have his voice exude some sort of control at different points. Perhaps damaging us or draining our stamina to increase the difficulty.

Aku

Well, I'd like to add that I'm pretty psyched for Ganon to return to the console. Everyone is all uppity because they think it's either going to be just Ganondof again or some cartoonish monstertBut, to put it into a little perspective we haven't seen straight up Ganon (not Ganondorf in Ganon form that doesn't count) since ... four swords? I for one am glad to see him make a debut in the new 3D format and believe there is alot of potential for him to strike out as a fresh take on a timeless character. To take Ganondorf's image of swave arrogance and dominateing control that they've built up during this Millennium and turn it into a tragic, horror inspiring creature of chaos and destruction could be a brilliant choice, investing people further into the web that is this lore. That being said there is alot of opportunity to mess up, or dumb down this opportunity, but I have high hopes all the same.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised even if they made this a different Ganon altogether. Ganon(dorf) is dead in the Child and Adult timelines, and in Downfall AOL Link prevented him from being resurrected altogether. So unless this takes place on an utterly new timeline, Ganon I is likely dead, and this thing... does not show much sign of ever having been human. I could be wrong, and this could very well be the Dorf, but the people in that game (the Old Man) don't seem to treat it like it's the Dorf.

But yeah, I'm psyched myself, especially because this thing looks scary, while at the same time (based on Aonuma's words) being well able to back up it's monstrous reputation (epic level difficulty more then likely.)

I like the idea of Ganon breaking free of the seal relatively early in the story or at least having him speak to you in a manner similar to that of the other mysterious voice. In this manner he could threaten us and even give us a look into his past and motivations. Especially when exploring Gerudo desert. His insight and his views on his homeland would be interesting.

It would also be nice to have his voice exude some sort of control at different points. Perhaps damaging us or draining our stamina to increase the difficulty.

That would be pretty swell, like if Ganon was only locked up for the first portion of the game and takes an active role after that. You are able to converse with him at certain points in the game, get the info of his past from his point of view, and maybe even accept missions from him.

Alas, my prediction is this; You see him by the castle and you fight him at the end, anything between that is exposition. And he's a mindless pig monster as usual.

Aku

That would be pretty swell, like if Ganon was only locked up for the first portion of the game and takes an active role after that. You are able to converse with him at certain points in the game, get the info of his past from his point of view, and maybe even accept missions from him.

Alas, my prediction is this; You see him by the castle and you fight him at the end, anything between that is exposition. And he's a mindless pig monster as usual.
Oh gosh do you know how awesome that would be? Whether or not this is the Dorf, I'd love to be able to side up with him like some games do by letting you side up with their baddies.

Although I wouldn't necessarily say 'Alas he'll be a mindless pig monster again' but alas, that Ninty will never do this. Having him try to slowly seduce you into a life of evil over the course of the game would show his super evilness, especially once he starts promising you power and status, and other stuff like that. I think the only thing would be to show that the evil path does not pay off, like either being used up and tossed away at the end, becoming an unwilling vessel for Ganon's essence (he possesses you), or getting turned into an easily controllable (by Ganon) mid-level pig monster or demon that Ganon decides to sic on the populace every now and then for fits and giggles.

I don't know if Ninty would be into that however (siding with the bad guy) as they might think it could a bad influence on the *sighs* younger players.

Definitely a fun idea if one thinks about it though. :)

Oh gosh do you know how awesome that would be? Whether or not this is the Dorf, I'd love to be able to side up with him like some games do by letting you side up with their baddies.

Although I wouldn't necessarily say 'Alas he'll be a mindless pig monster again' but alas, that Ninty will never do this. Having him try to slowly seduce you into a life of evil over the course of the game would show his super evilness, especially once he starts promising you power and status, and other stuff like that. I think the only thing would be to show that the evil path does not pay off, like either being used up and tossed away at the end, becoming an unwilling vessel for Ganon's essence (he possesses you), or getting turned into an easily controllable (by Ganon) mid-level pig monster or demon that Ganon decides to sic on the populace every now and then for fits and giggles.

I don't know if Ninty would be into that however (siding with the bad guy) as they might think it could a bad influence on the *sighs* younger players.

Definitely a fun idea if one thinks about it though. :)

The biggest obstacle of it all, unfortunately. But I suppose it could work if they somehow set up Zelda as the real villain, should a Ganon path be chosen. Like this could be a Ganon that wants to rule Hyrule and he could say the land was actually destroyed by it's own people in a civil war (with himself as a scapegoat) when they decided move forward in advanced weaponry.

Pure brainstorming on my part, I know, but I'm sure Nintendo can pull something like this off, I just don't think they want to.

Aku

The biggest obstacle of it all, unfortunately. But I suppose it could work if they somehow set up Zelda as the real villain, should a Ganon path be chosen. Like this could be a Ganon that wants to rule Hyrule and he could say the land was actually destroyed by it's own people in a civil war (with himself as a scapegoat) when they decided move forward in advanced weaponry.

Pure brainstorming on my part, I know, but I'm sure Nintendo can pull something like this off, I just don't think they want to.
Well, they could always set the game into the future and say the royal family became corrupt, which isn't implausible, given they showed it before in OoT's past (the bloody X crosses.) It could also allow them to have Hylia statues and Zelda at the same time, meaning that after her first mortal incarnation Zelda 1 went back up to being a goddess, while her main human descendants had her magic but not necessarily all being good.

Now if Ganon goes about saying he wants to rule Hyrule, he's gonna have a tough row to how, especially given that anything associated with 'Ganon' tends to make people think 'Death, destruction, evil pig demon.' People are naturally going to want to stop him, unless he can prove that his intentions are not that... malignant anymore or even that he's not Ganon the Dorf and that he's totally a different and good guy, promise. (And good demons/monsters do appear throughout Zelda, so it's not too implausible either.)

Now I could say that how he could 'show' that he's not a baddie to be feared is if he destroys many of the roaming monsters. He also has to prove that these royals are not good guys like they used to be, and in such a way that people will know it's actually not a trick, and yes he's telling the truth.

Maybe he could try to pull the Master Sword out himself? The sword can't be handled by anything that is evil, so if this Ganon is not evil, he could theoretically wield it. That would be one example of proof.

Well, they could always set the game into the future and say the royal family became corrupt, which isn't implausible, given they showed it before in OoT's past (the bloody X crosses.) It could also allow them to have Hylia statues and Zelda at the same time, meaning that after her first mortal incarnation Zelda 1 went back up to being a goddess, while her main human descendants had her magic but not necessarily all being good.

Now if Ganon goes about saying he wants to rule Hyrule, he's gonna have a tough row to how, especially given that anything associated with 'Ganon' tends to make people think 'Death, destruction, evil pig demon.' People are naturally going to want to stop him, unless he can prove that his intentions are not that... malignant anymore or even that he's not Ganon the Dorf and that he's totally a different and good guy, promise. (And good demons/monsters do appear throughout Zelda, so it's not too implausible either.)

Now I could say that how he could 'show' that he's not a baddie to be feared is if he destroys many of the roaming monsters. He also has to prove that these royals are not good guys like they used to be, and in such a way that people will know it's actually not a trick, and yes he's telling the truth.

Maybe he could try to pull the Master Sword out himself? The sword can't be handled by anything that is evil, so if this Ganon is not evil, he could theoretically wield it. That would be one example of proof.

It's pretty hard to predict what a well intentioned Ganon would be like, but I think if Ganon wanted to rule Hyrule with genuine good will, he'd probably use Link to warn people of the evils of the Royal Family and the generations of war they caused. Next, he'd try to convince everyone how much better he is by having Hyrule's current problems handled efficiently and/or peacefully with Link's help. Link and Ganon become popular because of this, and when Zelda declares Link an enemy and orders his death, this becomes Ganon's opportunity the fully expose the Royal Family by showing everyone what they do to enemies (The Shadow Temple.) The causes a revolutionary uprising that ends with Ganon in power.

I'll stop right there before this turns into a fanfiction. This is all assuming Ninty would want to have a Ganon path and present Ganon as a good guy. I'll eat my hat if either happens, though.

Aku

It's pretty hard to predict what a well intentioned Ganon would be like, but I think if Ganon wanted to rule Hyrule with genuine good will, he'd probably use Link to warn people of the evils of the Royal Family and the generations of war they caused. Next, he'd try to convince everyone how much better he is by having Hyrule's current problems handled efficiently and/or peacefully with Link's help. Link and Ganon become popular because of this, and when Zelda declares Link an enemy and orders his death, this becomes Ganon's opportunity the fully expose the Royal Family by showing everyone what they do to enemies (The Shadow Temple.) The causes a revolutionary uprising that ends with Ganon in power.

I'll stop right there before this turns into a fanfiction. This is all assuming Ninty would want to have a Ganon path and present Ganon as a good guy. I'll eat my hat if either happens, though.
I would imagine he might become like some of the other deity-like creatures that are out there, like Jabbu Jabbu and the Great Deku Tree, only more powerful because he can wield the TriForce and they can't (presumably.) I'm thinking he'd quite likely 'offer' to take the whole TriForce so that humans and other beings couldn't get tempted by it, preventing wars and any evil guy from taking it (like a new evil King of the Gerudo, maybe?) The only thing is that Link would have to be able to take Evil!Zelda's ToW away from her and Link would have to relinquish his ToC, so that he could give it to Good!Ganon.

Yeah, it's hard not to keep going on this alternate possibility stuff. :) I myself would be jaw dropping if Nintendo does do a Ganon path, because I think with Nintendo's talk about breaking Zelda's conventions, anything's possible at this point. What that will look like is hard to say, since I don't know what convention (for Ganon) they might be breaking, the only one I can think of remotely is that this guy may not be the Dorf. But I could easily be wrong.

Masked Bastard

formerly Captain B
Unlikely to be a remake. Link is a grown up and besides, as cool as mixing the costume up would be, rebooting the game that invented the green tunic, but getting rid of it altogether? kind of a slap in the face.

Could occur anywhere near it though. Or even not at all.

A couple things I wanna say here:

1. Ganondorf has evoked, in my opinion, some of the best moments in the Zelda series thus far. I don't think that can be argued against. The moment inwhere Twilight Princess where he dies standing up, then continues to stand is a moment of "this will never end". It's a fantastic symbollic refusal to give up being "Evil Incarnate". (I highly recommend rewatching this scene to watch Zelda and Link's reaction to his death. There's an odd sadness Zelda experiences and a gravity that hits both Link and Zelda with a realization of "this may never end". As if all of a sudden they get hit with every respective reincarnation's memories and futures. )

That being said...

2. I'd love to see some new or fresh way to approach Ganon the entity. I believe this could be done with the inclusion of Ganondorf, it would just be much more difficult at this point. A new or false identity similar to Agahnim on ALttP would be interesting. (I would almost vouch for the Old Man secretly being a Ganon illusion if I didn't already think he was the previous King of Hyrule. Just would be a cool idea, though kinda Bioshock-esque.)

Here's to whatever happens! Calamity Ganon, visually, is already an intriguing version of Ganon. I trust that whatever happens will leave most Zelda fans happy. To my knowledge, I haven't ever detested a Zelda villain- Ganondorf or not.

I believe that Calamity Ganon is the incarnation of hatred that Demise was talking about in SS.

It's possible. I don't think the people in BoTW (such as the old man) would know who Demise is/was so they could be calling it Ganon because he was recent enough to be remembered by name. Destroying Hyrule completely should be Demise's thing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom