• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild "Ganon" is back

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Sorry, but I really don't see how slapping "Calamity" onto Ganon's name makes him any more "fresh and new" than he already is.

Having him circle the castle is cool, I guess, but that seems to indicate he's only after Zelda. He could have been traveling all over Hyrule or even following Link around, now those would have made him look threatening. Besides, we've seen this kind of thing before in TP.
The game says that he's trapped inside the castle, and the mist is his magic, which he's using to try and free himself.

The game says that he's trapped inside the castle, and the mist is his magic, which he's using to try and free himself.

It didn't HAVE to be like that, is what I'm saying.

This means it's the same old deal yet again; the seal on Ganon weakens, his power slips out, he manipulates the outside world until something lets him out, Link betas him. Mark my words; this is the plot.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
What's wrong with Ganondorf?
Just having regular Ganondorf again after they've spent all this time building up the convention-breaking aspects of the game feels like a "why even bother" kind of thing. That's why I'm glad that it's presented as "Calamity Ganon", at least they're trying to do something different with him, or at least seeming to.

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
Just having regular Ganondorf again after they've spent all this time building up the convention-breaking aspects of the game feels like a "why even bother" kind of thing. That's why I'm glad that it's presented as "Calamity Ganon", at least they're trying to do something different with him, or at least seeming to.
Oh, I see what you mean.

Hey guys. First time poster here. I just want to say that I don't understand how anyone could want a new villain yet again. I mean, sure, having a change of villain is nice every so often, but we had that with Skyward Sword. Ganon hasn't been a villain in a major Zelda game for 10 years (Twilight Princess) now, so I think it's about time he returned. He's the main villain of the series for crying out loud! You can't get a better villain in a Zelda game than Ganon. All other non Ganon villains have been failures, in my opinion (yes, even Majora).

Reactions: Dio
Hey guys. First time poster here. I just want to say that I don't understand how anyone could want a new villain yet again. I mean, sure, having a change of villain is nice every so often, but we had that with Skyward Sword. Ganon hasn't been a villain in a major Zelda game for 10 years (Twilight Princess) now, so I think it's about time he returned. He's the main villain of the series for crying out loud! You can't get a better villain in a Zelda game than Ganon. All other non Ganon villains have been failures, in my opinion (yes, even Majora).

We've already had better villains, they were failures like you said, but I'll take em over Ganon any day.

I always like a main cohort that isn't really the big bad but is still very menacing strong and has a good backstory, like Ghirahim, Yuga, Zant, or Onox/Veran, to help support the strength of the main villain

This was best used in SS (surprise, something good from the gameplay in SS) where Demise literally ****ing takes Ghirahim and rips the Anti Master Sword out of his chest like nobody's business

We've already had better villains, they were failures like you said, but I'll take em over Ganon any day.
Would you care to elaborate on why they're better, exactly? I don't actually think Ganon is the best villain, I think Ganondorf is the best villain (that's why I hope he appears in human form in Breath of the Wild at some point). He's a believable villain, while still being thoroughly evil at the same time. I also think he's a slightly tragic character. You see, I'm one of the few Zelda fans who actually liked the idea that Ganondorf is an incarnation of Demise's hatred, because it makes him more tragic, he never stood a chance of leading a happy life, he was always destined to be tainted by Demise's hatred... Combining this with his tenacity and iconic place in the series (all my non Zelda fan friends are only aware of Ganon as a villain in The Legend of Zelda franchise) I think he's by far the greatest villain in the series and quite possibly the greatest video game villain of all time (Bowser pushes him close, though).

Would you care to elaborate on why they're better, exactly? I don't actually think Ganon is the best villain, I think Ganondorf is the best villain (that's why I hope he appears in human form in Breath of the Wild at some point). He's a believable villain, while still being thoroughly evil at the same time. I also think he's a slightly tragic character. You see, I'm one of the few Zelda fans who actually liked the idea that Ganondorf is an incarnation of Demise's hatred, because it makes him more tragic, he never stood a chance of leading a happy life, he was always destined to be tainted by Demise's hatred... Combining this with his tenacity and iconic place in the series (all my non Zelda fan friends are only aware of Ganon as a villain in The Legend of Zelda franchise) I think he's by far the greatest villain in the series and quite possibly the greatest video game villain of all time (Bowser pushes him close, though).
Nah honestly Ganon is far more tragic than Ganondorf, especially in the downfall timeline. After losing his Gerudian form, he takes on the form of a beast, making him the most formidable form of Ganondorf or Ganon. He had the full Triforce, the body of a behemoth, and the cunning and wise mind of Ganondorf. Sadly, this all went to waste in OoX, where Twinrova's attempt to revive him went completely sour and he only gained a mind bent on destruction and lost his cunning prowess, leaving him literally a shadow of his former self.

The only villains I consider better are Majora, Ghirahim, and Lady Maud, all for different reasons.

You see, when Zelda has a villain, we barely ever get to see them in action, yet we're somehow expected to know how mean they are. Not with Majora though; we got to see him stealing Link's ocarina and horse, turn him into a scrub, calling the moon down, and laughing like a little bastard the whole way through. Other villains haven't been that impressive in this regard

What's also important for the threat factor is in the villains speeches. Zelda has a bit of a problem with cliches you see, but Ghirahim struck me another way; his detailed rants on just what he's going to do to Link really showed how sick he was.

Now Lady Maud is a weird one. She had all the problems the Zelda villains usually have, but she was a real breath of fresh air from the usual DEMON KING AWAKEN TO SPREAD DARKNESS thing. A villain with a unique plan always stand out from the rest, and Lady Maud seemed to do that in a positive way. Maybe it was just proper timing, I dunno.

Now about Ganondorf. I like him much better than Ganon, I always have. The giant pig monster just doesn't hold up anymore, but a sorcerer warlord king of a mostly female race leaves a lot more room for the things that make a villain good. But alas, I find him unable to "wow" me.

And I'll give credit where it's due; Ganondorf was pretty cool back in OoT. Unfortunately, when the series lost it's sense of direction, Ganon and Ganondorf both became a victim of it. Nintendo could redeem the two and send my jaw to the floor, but I have no reason to believe they will.

The only villains I consider better are Majora, Ghirahim, and Lady Maud, all for different reasons.

You see, when Zelda has a villain, we barely ever get to see them in action, yet we're somehow expected to know how mean they are. Not with Majora though; we got to see him stealing Link's ocarina and horse, turn him into a scrub, calling the moon down, and laughing like a little bastard the whole way through. Other villains haven't been that impressive in this regard

What's also important for the threat factor is in the villains speeches. Zelda has a bit of a problem with cliches you see, but Ghirahim struck me another way; his detailed rants on just what he's going to do to Link really showed how sick he was.

Now Lady Maud is a weird one. She had all the problems the Zelda villains usually have, but she was a real breath of fresh air from the usual DEMON KING AWAKEN TO SPREAD DARKNESS thing. A villain with a unique plan always stand out from the rest, and Lady Maud seemed to do that in a positive way. Maybe it was just proper timing, I dunno.

Now about Ganondorf. I like him much better than Ganon, I always have. The giant pig monster just doesn't hold up anymore, but a sorcerer warlord king of a mostly female race leaves a lot more room for the things that make a villain good. But alas, I find him unable to "wow" me.

And I'll give credit where it's due; Ganondorf was pretty cool back in OoT. Unfortunately, when the series lost it's sense of direction, Ganon and Ganondorf both became a victim of it. Nintendo could redeem the two and send my jaw to the floor, but I have no reason to believe they will.
]

Okay, I'll run through these villains one by one (although I can't really talk about Lady Maud as I haven't played Tri Force Heroes yet (although I am aware of the character and the story)).

Majora.
An overrated villain, in my honest opinion. So many Zelda fans adore Majora, and I can (to a point) understand why. It is a destructive, wicked, purely evil entity...but the problem is in how I just described Majora. It. You see, I don't think of Majora as a character, really. Basically, it's just an evil entity/demon inside a mask. It has no character development whatsoever. We don't even know if it's male or female (I personally think it's without gender but many of my friends think it's female). When you see it steal Link's ocarina and horse, bring the moon down, etc, etc...it's really Skull Kid who's doing all that. Granted, he's kinda possessed, but it's him we see doing all this stuff. The mask remains stoic, without showing any emotion at all. The only time we really see Majora come to light is at the end of the game.. Majora is very effective for the game in which it appears in, I'll admit. I've never been overly fond of Majora's Mask (the game itself), I've always found it to be a rather depressing game to play through (which, I suppose, is the whole point). It just feels weird, to me. It honestly barely qualifies as a Zelda game at all (no Zelda, Ganon, or Hyrule). It is a very good game...but a weird one. So, yes. Majora is a fitting villain, because it is a weird character/antagonist. I could never imagine Majora returning again and again (like Ganondorf does), it just wouldn't work.

Ghirahim.
I'm not gonna argue with you too much here, because Ghirahim is my second favourite Zelda villain. He's a deliciously sick, twisted, character. His only real failing is that he fails to follow through on the threats you mentioned. I never felt intimidated by the character at all, I never felt that he had a chance of actually defeating Link. He's all talk, basically.

I think you're right about Ganondorf, he is superior to Ganon. He just has more presence as Ganondorf and gives off a regal, powerful air. I personally think he was at his best in Wind Waker, in which he seemed more wise and broken. It was the first time I ever found myself feeling sympathy for him. Despite this, though...I do think in a strange way it would be better for Ganondorf not to appear in Breath of the Wild. The whole title screams that this is some kind of post apocalyptic world, and we already know that this game will take place in a ruined Hyrule. I just think under such circumstances it would be better for Ganon to be the villain instead of Ganondorf. An extremely powerful, wild being would be fitting for this game, I think... We'll just have to wait and see.

]

Okay, I'll run through these villains one by one (although I can't really talk about Lady Maud as I haven't played Tri Force Heroes yet (although I am aware of the character and the story)).

Majora.
An overrated villain, in my honest opinion. So many Zelda fans adore Majora, and I can (to a point) understand why. It is a destructive, wicked, purely evil entity...but the problem is in how I just described Majora. It. You see, I don't think of Majora as a character, really. Basically, it's just an evil entity/demon inside a mask. It has no character development whatsoever. We don't even know if it's male or female (I personally think it's without gender but many of my friends think it's female). When you see it steal Link's ocarina and horse, bring the moon down, etc, etc...it's really Skull Kid who's doing all that. Granted, he's kinda possessed, but it's him we see doing all this stuff. The mask remains stoic, without showing any emotion at all. The only time we really see Majora come to light is at the end of the game.. Majora is very effective for the game in which it appears in, I'll admit. I've never been overly fond of Majora's Mask (the game itself), I've always found it to be a rather depressing game to play through (which, I suppose, is the whole point). It just feels weird, to me. It honestly barely qualifies as a Zelda game at all (no Zelda, Ganon, or Hyrule). It is a very good game...but a weird one. So, yes. Majora is a fitting villain, because it is a weird character/antagonist. I could never imagine Majora returning again and again (like Ganondorf does), it just wouldn't work.

I don't see why ambiguous gender is a problem. I mean, a literal mask has none, but the actual Majora being an "it" makes it even more alien and mysterious. The things we fear most are the things we don't understand after all. And yes, Skull Kid is possessed and is the vessel, that doesn't mean Majora isn't responsible. Skull Kid did nothing malicious until Majora possessed him. Majora not stepping out to the center of the stage until the end is what most Zelda villains do anyway. Finally, it's says even more about Majora if "it" fits the nature of the game.

Ghirahim.
I'm not gonna argue with you too much here, because Ghirahim is my second favourite Zelda villain. He's a deliciously sick, twisted, character. His only real failing is that he fails to follow through on the threats you mentioned. I never felt intimidated by the character at all, I never felt that he had a chance of actually defeating Link. He's all talk, basically.

This applies to all Zelda villains, really (even the ones I spoke of.) What I found endearing about Ghirahim's speeches was that it was an vehement rant on how he's going to personally harm Link, rather than "the world will be covered in darkness" or anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom