• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ganon in the first game - mindless beast or a cunning prince of darkness

Ah, thank you! Though it only says he "lost his reason long ago", not him being completely mindless at that point. It probably goes more like this: Ganondorf has lost his reason while being sealed and creates the Calamity, it loses and then comes back 10.000 years later, where it has a plan to corrupt the Ancient Technology. It's full resurrection is prevented by Zelda, and after being defeated again by a Hero, he gets blinded by hatred and turns to Dark Beast. Again, blinded by hatred does not mean he's mindless forever. The same case happened in OoT. He lost his reason and turned to Ganon, he later gets casual control again. I don't believe BotW Ganondorf is mindless as a mindless Ganondorf literally does not work! A mindless Ganon only works as final boss resurrection like in Oracles but NOT like we see in Zelda I or Breath of the Wild!

Ah, thank you! Though it only says he "lost his reason long ago", not him being completely mindless at that point. It probably goes more like this: Ganondorf has lost his reason while being sealed and creates the Calamity, it loses and then comes back 10.000 years later, where it has a plan to corrupt the Ancient Technology. It's full resurrection is prevented by Zelda, and after being defeated again by a Hero, he gets blinded by hatred and turns to Dark Beast. Again, blinded by hatred does not mean he's mindless forever. The same case happened in OoT. He lost his reason and turned to Ganon, he later gets casual control again. I don't believe BotW Ganondorf is mindless as a mindless Ganondorf literally does not work! A mindless Ganon only works as final boss resurrection like in Oracles but NOT like we see in Zelda I or Breath of the Wild!

Honestly, ''mindless'' seems to be more of a colloquialism more than anything, as HH describes him as being ''bereft of intelligence'' during Zelda 1 despite him having a plan in that game. I think that ''mindless'' in Zelda terms is more like being insane. In the DT, he never seems to fully recover from this. His malice eventually grows and allows his spirit to leave his body in the form of a powerful calamity, allowing him to terrorize Hyrule even while his body is sealed. I think him not talking in the final battle in OoT is more about him being enraged beyond words than anything; even right before he transforms into beast Ganon he doesn't say anything, he just huffs and puffs and let's out a scream of rage. ALttP Ganon still had all of the mental faculties he had as a human intact, so I don't think his beast form by itself causes this condition. I also think that's a good reason why Ganondorf could very well still be insane, or mindless, or whatever you want to call it in BotW 2 despite regaining a human form. Imagine having a human sized god of destruction that only wants to destroy, destroy, destroy and get his hands on the Triforce. It would be an interesting dynamic.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd say mindless beast only due to the lack of prominent story elements in the first Legend of Zelda game—not that it's an issue unique to Zelda. Developed villains aren't exactly something video games did a lot back then.

I'd say mindless beast only due to the lack of prominent story elements in the first Legend of Zelda game—not that it's an issue unique to Zelda. Developed villains aren't exactly something video games did a lot back then.
Fair enough! Though the manual seems to counter this with how he reacts, plans and steals the Triforce of Power in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom