• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ganon = demon?

C

caleb89sw

Where exactly did the idea that Ganon is a demon come from? As far as I can tell, the only time he's referred that is mostly in the japanese versions before they were translated to America. Other than that, he appears to have no demonic qualities. Am I missing something, or what?

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
No you are right he isn't a demon but some people thing that his beast form is a demon form and that is how people started thinking that Ganon was a demon when he is a beast

Anubis

The most inactive active
I would say that he is a demon. At the very least, he looks like it.
In most of the games, the Triforce of Power corrupts him. And that he gains a demon form because of his evil doing.
What I've heard (seen on TV, and read in books. :3) of demons are that they often have horns (lol) and that they are evil.
Maybe a little fur too, and some can transform. But that's not the point. Ganon is a demon, atleast that's my opinion of him.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Not an easy question. For me, he is still human (Gerudos are still a human race). Even when the Triforce of power corrupts him, he is still a human. The beast form and his mighty powers only granted him because of the Triforce.
Without the Triforce of Power, he would just be the evil thief Ganondorf, a male Gerudo (maybe with a few special abilities).

Ganon is not a born demon. A true demon is born into his body. The Boar look alike of Ganon shows only his true character (like Link transformed into a Rabbit or a Wolf). So, no, in my opinion neither Ganondorf nor Ganon is a demon. He is a human granted with some mighty powers of the gods.

If Ganon is a demon, than, a well known deceased German dictator should go by that title too.

Last edited:

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
Hmm...maybe this will be revealed in Skyward Sword? Anyway, I think this might go back to the Multiple Ganon Theory, where the original 'blue' Ganon is the demon and modern one isn't.

From what I've heard Axle say, it's has something to do with him being the King of Demons, or something, in the original game.

Pretty much that. In the first Legend of Zelda game, he was referred to as "Gannon, Prince Darkness", which was later corrected as a Japanese mis-translation to be Ganon, the "Prince of Darkness". That title is also associated with the devil, whom is believed to be a demon, so I suppose that's the whole story behind that one.

As for the whole "pig/boar" appearance, that has more to do with his greed, I think. That form reflects his character--which he has extreme lust for power. When you call someone a "pig", you call them that because they are being greedy. Not that I am aware of, does a boar have anything to do with being demonic.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
Ganon is called a "Daimaou" in LoZ, which translates to "Great Demon King," so Ganon has been a demon since the very first game. In ALttP, we learn that he also has his own "makai" (demon world) and "mazoku" (demon tribe).

In regards to the more modern story, Ganondorf is just a human that can use dark magic, but then the Triforce of Power turns him into a demon (to reflect his evil) pig (to reflect his greed).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Ganon is called a "Daimaou" in LoZ, which translates to "Great Demon King," so Ganon has been a demon since the very first game. In ALttP, we learn that he also has his own "makai" (demon world) and "mazoku" (demon tribe).

Just because he was called the Demon King in the original Zelda doesn't mean he's a demon. Ghirahim refers to himself as the Demon Lord, but he doesn't appear to be a demon to me.

Oh yeah, the timeline. I meant original as in release-wise.

Yeah, that's what we call a retcon. He was just a pig beast in the beginning. They changed that later.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
So the fact that something doesn't look a certain way to you overwrites anything that's confirmed by the games and the developers?

And yes, just because he was called a demon in LoZ means that he's a demon, especially since even ALttP, OoT, and I believe even TWW all referred to him as such as well.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
So the fact that something doesn't look a certain way to you overwrites anything that's confirmed by the games and the developers?

Did I say that? No. I was just giving an example.

And yes, just because he was called a demon in LoZ means that he's a demon, especially since even ALttP, OoT, and I believe even TWW all referred to him as such as well.

No, it doesn't. Nintendo never actually called him a demon. And, even if that was the case, the fact that he was Ganondorf before Ganon means that they retconned that. Ganondorf is human. Ganon is Ganondorf. Therefore Ganon is not a demon.

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
No, it doesn't. Nintendo never actually called him a demon. And, even if that was the case, the fact that he was Ganondorf before Ganon means that they retconned that. Ganondorf is human. Ganon is Ganondorf. Therefore Ganon is not a demon.
Nintendo actually did call him a demon, and I'm pretty sure they did so in every game he has appeared in.

I don't feel like gathering quotes from every game, so I'll just quote the most recent game in which Ganon appears:
Sages said:
In the shadows resides an evil demon of darkness…
[...]
That one's name is Ganondorf.
A leader of thieves who once invaded Hyrule to establish dominion over the sacred place.
A man who was feared as a demon thief for using magic that had evil powers.
So he's even referred to as a demon in his human form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom