• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda Gannon or Ganon

a matter of opinion. do you call ganondorf gannon or ganon?

• gannon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ganon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CUCCOMASTER

..and all things will end
i know that there are people out there that call ganondorf, gannon. i dont care if i lose. its a matter of opinion weather its gannon or ganon. vote

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
This is the Japanese: ガノン

The symbols stand for: Ga - no - n. When translating names, it's only polite to give the freedom to the person who has that name - or in this case, created the character. While there have been a couple early instances where it's been anglicized as "Gannon", all literature in recent years have it as "Ganon". That's what the creators ultimately chose to go with, and we should respect their wishes.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
^ FE said it all. I just have a little more proof to add.

Here's an extract from the official Japanese manual that came with the game... even in the early Japanese it is Ganon... the only time it was spelled otherwise was in the PAL/US version of TLoZ... which was an error and has been since corrected. (this page: http://www.zeldadungeon.net/plogger...scans-japan/zelda01-japanmanual-page06-07.jpg )

I'm not sure what more proof you need. Ganon was always correct. Gannon is a one-time spelling mistake.

ganon.png

It seems a little sad you feel this is all in terms of "winning" and "losing". It was never a question, as EI said. This is what the canon states, this is what nintendo intended, therefore it is what is right.

Last edited:
Its Ganon. In the North American(?) version of the original Legend of Zelda, it was just a simple misspelling. Any remake or port of the game, such as the NES Classic Series for the Gameboy Advance of the Legend of Zelda, and I believe the Virtual Console version of it, as well, have been corrected, and it is spelled "Ganon."

i dont care if i lose. its a matter of opinion weather its gannon or ganon. vote

It's not a matter of opinion, the only time the term "Gannon" was ever used was in the english version of the Legend of Zelda for the NES. Even the game's manual calls him "Ganon" that's the only time in the series it has ever been used and it has been fixed ever since. Even Adventure of Link corrected it, although it was only mentioned like twice.

Kirino

Tatakae
Gannon was a screw up in the original,which has been fixed in the remakes.It doesn't get any more complicated than that.

H

Hyper-Red

I've always called him Ganon. Two N's doesn't seem to fit. Plus, it's Ganondorf, not Gannondorf. v.v

CUCCOMASTER

i didn't ask for proof. but i knew there was someone else besides me who calls him gannon. i was right. someone else did vote for gannon.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
It is and should be quite obvious that it is GANON, not GANNON. In every Zelda Game to date that Ganondorf/Ganon has made an appearence, it has been spelt Ganon.

"Gannon" which is what appeared on the original LoZ cover, was a mistranslation by Nintendo of America, (whose translation team was quite poor at the time) simply made a blunder. There are several blunders throughout the game.

Anyone who still belives that it is spelt "Gannon" is merely ignorant to the obvious facts that have been viewed by almost every zelda player in the world.

CUCCOMASTER

i told you i know all this stuff. you don't need to tell me. i just wanted to see if anyone else calls him gannon. and somebody does.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
i didn't ask for proof. but i knew there was someone else besides me who calls him gannon. i was right. someone else did vote for gannon.

i told you i know all this stuff. you don't need to tell me. i just wanted to see if anyone else calls him gannon. and somebody does.

But why? What reason is there to call him Gannon when it's clearly not his name? It'd be like calling Zelda "Zedla" or something, or Link "Linkk"... Sure, nothing's stopping you doing it, but... seriously what's the point? Expect the vast majority of other fans to get kind of annoyed about it, because to us... it's a rather odd and pointless thing to do. No offence meant, but I'm just saying. And just so you know, all the... "proof" everyone gave was to show you that it isn't actually a matter of opinion... there's only one correct name for him, Ganon, and calling him anything else is, well, incorrect. (excluding Ganondorf, of course =P)

Also, heads up... I think your sig's a little too big, you might wanna think about resizing it before you risk getting in trouble. :3

arkvoodle

Diabolical

But you're just being idiotic. It is clear that the spelling is G-A-N-O-N. You and jack are incorrect. Accept that.
You are just being ignorant to the clear truth that you are incorrect.

You may as well say that the game is called Thee leeggeend oof Zellda

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom