• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

GameTrailers.com Timeline Theory

linkman8

True and Noble
Mases presented this timeline theory to us at one point in time, and I found it to be one of the most compelling theories I've ever seen. Obviously it's a little dated, but good nonetheless. I'd encourage all to watch.

To put it simply, I strongly disagree with the majority of these theories. The split timeline surprised me and opened my eyes, but pretty much everything after that seemed completely random and baseless. The oracle games undoubtedly took place directly after Majora's Mask, considering the game ends with Link riding away from Termina on horse and that the oracle games begin with young Link traveling by horse before he unexpectedly discovers the temple housing the essences of the triforce. I honestly thought that was a given. It's for the player to decide whether ages or seasons comes first. That being said, it is possible that Link's Awakening occurred after the oracle games, because, if I'm not mistaken, a linked version of either oracle games ends with Link waving goodbye to the residents of Labrynna/Holodrum while standing inside of a boat that looks oddly similar to the boat Link used to sail to Koholint Island. Coincidence? I think not! Ah, but that is arguable.

Everything after the split time timeline just seemed over-analyzed and didn't capture my interest. I salute gametrailers for the attempted insight, but some things in video games should just go unexplained.

There you have it, my (admittedly biased) contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BBladem83

i see your point, thats actually well thought out, i actually never payed attention that there was a boat b4...

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
BBladem I figured I'd post this to encourage you, I just used this to help generate a graphic for my theory, which argues directly against this one. Thanks for making this easily accessable.

I don't want to stray too much off topic, so I'd like to ask what people feel is wrong with this theory, some people have stated that they don't believe this one to be true for a number of reasons.

Simply put, I want to know what those reasons are.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think many fans really like the Game Trailers timeline simply because a big name site took a shot at it, made it very presentable with awesome videos, and clearly displayed a timeline that is understandable to many fans.

It was perfect for those who weren't hardcore Timeline fans. They were intrigued by their detail and just went with it perhaps because they really have much else to follow.

I love there timeline beacuse of how they presented it and how many examples they use to prove it.
What they should have done was get some information from the original jappanise ones to get the real information, not from US, land of political correctness that ruins everything.

T

thelegend0fzelda

OMG DID THEY EVEN PLAY THE ORACLE GAMES? THEY were not! NOT! MADE TO CONFIRM THE SPLIT THERE WAS GOING TO BE A 3RD ORACLE GAME!!!!! Game trailers... FAIL!

S

Shawnogohma

My timeline is the same as Gametrailers

I wont post a link to the vid to avoid trouble, but if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I prefer Hyrule B.

Game Trailer's timeline insn't very well constructed at all. There is a lot of information that they made up in that video to place certain games in certain places. So I don't agree with it at all.

Here are a few things they screwed up:

It has never officially been confirmed that Gustaf, the ancient King of Hyrule who's ghost comes to you during MC, was the Hero of Men mentioned during the intro of MC. A lot of people believe he is, and a lot of people also believe that MC takes place first, but no where during MC has it been confirmed that he is that same Hero. Althought MC may make sense to take place first by other reasons, this is not one that is accurate or factual.

GT's timeline states that after Link leaves Termina (MM Child Timeline or Hyrule A as they call it), that he tries to return to Hyrule via the sea, where he then gets shipwrecked and ends up on Koholint Island, where Link's Awakening takes place. All of this is made up. The true placement of LA was meant to take place after ALttP, where LA's manual directly talks about Link leaving Hyrule to clear his mind and search for enlightenment incase Ganon is to return. Also, it is clearly shown at the end of Majora's Mask that Link is back in the Lost Woods, where he is riding Epona.

They also place LoZ after LA, in which they say that Link returned to Hyrule to find that "Ganon had won the war". The question here is, what war? GT never makes any reference to a war taking place in Hyrule on the Hyrule A (Child) side of the Timeline. This timeline was also created before TP was even released. In TP, we find that after the events of OoT on the Child Timeline (Hyrule A), Ganondorf was sent to trial for attempting to take over Hyrule, and ended up being placed in the Twilight Realm after an attempted execution.

One thing that they do get right is the placement of AoL after LoZ, but placing both after LA is completely wrong. GT talks about the actual Legend of Zelda, in which the Prince of Hyrule had his sister, Zelda, placed in a deep sleep. Then, sometime later, the Prince felt really guilty for what he had done, and ordered that every female princess born into the Royal Family thereafter should be named Zelda. This would make perfect sense as to how all the Zelda's have the same name, but are obviously different generations of Zelda. However, it would not explain how if this Zelda, talked about in the manual of AoL as being the original Zelda before any other, was never referenced to in any other game in the series. The supposid sleeping original Zelda obviously remained in the North Castle for ages on end until Link was able to awaken her in AoL, but it seems odd that she is never talked about in any other legend besides AoL, which takes place long after some of the other titles. Also, she is never referenced on the Hyrule B side of the timeline at all, meaning she is still sleeping in the North Castle in that timeline. I don't believe the people of Hyrule would just completely abandon and forget about their sleeping beauty like that.

GT then places FSA after AoL (and completely ignored FS's placement altogether). This makes no sense because Ganon was destroyed in LoZ. The entire purpose of the monsters coming after Link in AoL was to kill him so that they could revive Ganon. Since Link was never killed in this game, Ganon was never revived, and thus could not be living in FSA. Many actually believe FSA takes place before ALttP, which makes more sense. GT actually places FSA before ALttP in their timeline, but only uses Ganon's trident as a backup for that reasoning. To me, thats a pretty weak example of why a game should be where it is, as Ganon has seen to use the trident in many other titles as well. It is more likely that FSA takes place before ALttP because Ganon is still in the Dark World during the game apparently. ALttP talks about the sages sealing Ganon within the Dark World in a previous age, but this cannot be the same time they sealed him in OoT, as he broke free of that seal and went on to create the events which took place during WW, plus, it would place ALttP between OoT and WW, which wouldn't make any sense either, as WW clearly states that Hyrule saw an age of peace after OoT until Ganon escaped. The sealing of Ganon in the backstory of ALttP must be a different time which he was sealed.

And my last reason is the last portion of GT's timeline, which states that the Oracle titles, which we will call OoX, took place at the same time on each side of the timeline. Honestly, I can't figure out how GT was so oblivious as to come up with this theory, as it is proven just by playing OoX that each game transpires after the first one you beat. So really, their order comes in whatever fashion they are played and completed in.

So theres my two cents on GT's timeline. I know its a lot, but they messed up a lot.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I wont post a link to the vid to avoid trouble, but if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I prefer Hyrule B.

what do you mean you prefer Hyrule B?

ive seen the video but im not sure what youre talking about.

Hyrule B just means the adult timeline. how do you "prefer" the adult timeline?

The GameTrailers timeline is a outdated piece of rubbish.
It has tons of mistakes on it such as LA being after MM.

The true placement of LA was meant to take place after ALttP, where LA's manual directly talks about Link leaving Hyrule to clear his mind and search for enlightenment incase Ganon is to return.
Or OoX

In the manual of LA it says that you defeated the King of Evil. But Ganon didn't proclaim he was the king of evil until he touched the triforce in the AT.

When ZeldaInformer comes back up I'll link an article that thoroughly destroys this timeline.

But, yeah, this theory is a piece of crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom