• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gamestop, Just Why?

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
So I can buy a new 3ds XL at best buy for 10 dollars cheaper then they'll sell a used one.
I don't get it. Or should i say i won't get it from them.

Infact they are selling used normal 3ds's for the price of a new one else where 159.99

Why would i want to do that? So I don't get a box?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Stores that trade and sell used games have paid a certain price to the seller for the game, in order to make a profit they must sell it for higher than they purchased it (sometimes they will at loss to get rid of stock though).
With new products they will often have a sale and this will push the new console price below the preowned one, they just do this to rid of stock too or to bring in customers to look at other things to buy. Buy the new one if it is cheaper.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I understand they are a business and all, but they are just horrible about competitive pricing. Actually I wonder if they'll price match? I've never actually asked them, but given the vibe they always give off, I'd assume they don't.

They'll buy a console for like 3 cents or $60 in store credit, resell it used for the same price of a new console, there is a certain disparity of it.

So even if you sell to them you don't really sell to them, you just get a discount against other products.

It just makes you have to stop and ask, do they even check other stores prices.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Probably not, it's a tough business to be in though. Especially with the threat of digital download games etc.
Their prices are pretty ridiculous but if you don't want to pay that price then look elsewhere, it is fair enough to not want to pay full price too.
As for price matching, I live in Australia and go to EB Games (owned by GameStop) and I purchased my Wii U on launch day there. Here is the story:
I had a preorder that was only slightly paid off ($100) and had it there for a while. The full launch price was $430 (#australia) but 3 days before launch another store (K-Mart) put preorders up for $370 for the same model, the premium pack.
On launch day I called up EB Games and asked for a price match, I told them I'd bring in the competitors catalogue for proof and they told me no so I walked into the store with the competitors catalogue and told them to give me my money back and I'd go get it from K-mart. "Actually, we will price match that for you", "Oh, will you now?" I said :P
I walked away saving $60 (that's $20 less than a whole other game), they are all talk until you say you are going to buy from a competitor instead. To be honest there is no way I would have been able to get to the nearest K-Mart :P

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
The annoying part is the online listing for best buy still shows 199, but instore on the shelf its at 179 when i went there earlier this week.
To prove its cheaper I'd have to drive there and take a picture, or simply be quite the dagger eyes about it.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
It's because they essentially have a monopoly on the used games market. They don't have any serious competition, so they can basically do whatever the hell they want with their prices. Greedy *******s. <.<
Well next gen is going to hurt them badly, if MS possibly even Sony stick to their guns on the used games.

They'll have to do something that other stores can't offer. Like maybe retro games on shelves. Or Some how offer new games in a way better then else where.

Which honestly I don't like buying new from gamestop, they always open the package.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Current information points to there being no used game fee on Xbox One. People should really learn to research. Sources have said the fee actually pertains to the game store, not the player. Bout time!

And you'll find that a lot of dedicated game stores actually have horrible prices. Dedicated game stores over here like GAME, I've always found them to be the worst places to buy from Day 1. They never really have good prices. Other places which earn their money from a wider range of products seem much more willing to offer games and consoles for cheaper. I haven't bought from GAME in years, I've been buying from big supermarkets like Tesco. They're always cheapest.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've seen this so much and frankly it's idiotic. It's like they are just waiting for some idiot who doesn't bother to check prices to come and buy it. I've tried letting them know whenever I've come across some of their used games that are priced well above what you pay for the new game (especially if the new game is sold cheaper within the block), of course nothing is done.

I understand that they have paid a certain amount (even though they give pretty poor deals to those who want to sell their consoles/games), but if they don't follow the market they will end up with a game/console that won't sell because the price is too high.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Current information points to there being no used game fee on Xbox One. People should really learn to research. Sources have said the fee actually pertains to the game store, not the player. Bout time!

I doubt it.

This whole thing about GameStop is rather silly...I haven't purchased anything from GS since I bought Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the Wii U some odd days ago. The thing is that buying used from them is never going to work out. Try Vintage Stock/Movie Trading Company or your (other) local game store instead; GS rips people off willingly and they will not stop.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Ive never had problems like this with game stop. Im able to always get games and systems cheeper then other places. (Although that might be from all the Redboxes) target has 60 as a price tag for a game game stop has 52 as a general price tag. Another thing Is like with any store I see when they have buy 2 get 1 free.(usually once a month up here.)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

Yeah, most likely due to the fact that Micro$oft gets a hefty amount of the profit. No doubt this will make buying used games pointless on the XBONE, since they will wind up costing MORE than the retail price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom