• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games you wish you played as a kid

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Have you ever discovered a game too late that made you think "man, I would've been really into this as a kid"? I'm sure plenty of us went back to play a few games that we missed out on when we were younger, but what are some games that you really wish you played much sooner?

I never played Animal Crossing, but I think I would've been really into that game as a kid. I always wanted to play something sim-like when I was younger, just have my own little world or something and pretend to do daily tasks. The games I had were action based so I remember I would make up my own mundane scenarios in them. I never saw it in stores so I wouldn't learn about it until Brawl, but had I known about it when I was 8 or so, I would've been all over it.

27496-animal-crossing-gamecube-front-cover.jpg

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Nothing really comes to mind, I'm glad I didn't grow up gaming, but I remember my time with Minecraft got off to a slow start and I wish I'd picked up on it sooner.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I would have liked to have played more Metroid games when I was younger. Maybe then I'd be a bit better at platforming and aim, not exactly my strong suits. Mostly all I had back then were dumb educational games and super girly games, stuff with make-up and ponies and other various forms of nauseating nonsense that my sister loved. I really wanted to play stuff with action and adventure, but the few games I had were way to hard for me to get far in. Even Metroid using Narpassword would've been good, that way I could explore and have fun gaining skills without worrying about getting murdered constantly.

Maybe then I'd be a bit better at platforming and aim, not exactly my strong suits. Mostly all I had back then were dumb educational games and super girly games, stuff with make-up and ponies and other various forms of nauseating nonsense that my sister loved.
You won't see me admitting this a lot but one of the best GBA games my sister and I grew up on was Kim Possible 2. Like the show, it probably was marketed to more of a "girly" audience--heck, one of the items in the game was literally lipstick or something, but it was a hecking fun game. It was an action platformer that had collectibles and stuff and I loved it so much. Replaying levels and finding entire hidden routes was so exciting. Never played the first one but the third one was pretty good. Not as fun as 2 tho.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
You won't see me admitting this a lot but one of the best GBA games my sister and I grew up on was Kim Possible 2. Like the show, it probably was marketed to more of a "girly" audience--heck, one of the items in the game was literally lipstick or something, but it was a hecking fun game. It was an action platformer that had collectibles and stuff and I loved it so much. Replaying levels and finding entire hidden routes was so exciting. Never played the first one but the third one was pretty good. Not as fun as 2 tho.
Barbie's riding club was one of my more played PC games as a kid

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
pfft, my friend had offered to just give me that game a few years back but I passed on it, I should've just said yes, I actually asked him about it like a month ago and he said he gave it to someone else

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Didn't get a lot of games when I was younger because we were poor. So there's some I missed out on until later on. Animal Crossing would have been fun to play as a kid. I didn't know about it til I was a little older, and me and my sister rented one of them.

Mario Party would have been fun to play as a kid too. I think I didn't get to play one until like 8 or 9. I have two sisters and a brother, so having 3 other people to play with when we were younger and everyone still lived at home would have been a ton of fun.

MW7

There are a lot of games I played way after their original release: A Link to the Past, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country 3 are a few. Most of those I loved even though I played them 10-15 years after release. The ones I have trouble really appreciating are Star Fox 64 and Donkey Kong Country 3 which I think would have been different when I was younger.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
I mean, I'm not really an adult yet but I wished I got into gaming as a whole when I was younger, while I played games frequently as a young kid, there was only a few that I actually put time into and I wish I'd branched out more.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Despite growing up early enough that my first console should’ve been a GameCube, my first console was actually a Wii.

I remember seeing a used GameCube at Game Stop and asking my dad if I could get it because it looked really cheap, he said I could either get the GameCube now, or wait until Christmas to get a Wii. Ultimately I think I made the right decision as I didn’t know a single think about the world of gaming outside of “Mario” and the only mainline Mario game on the GameCube was complete ass so I don’t think I would’ve been nearly as into gaming as I am today if I had gotten the GameCube. Still, sometimes I wonder how things would’ve been different if I chose the GameCube instead.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I wish I’d gotten into the Ys series much earlier than I have. I only got into it when VIII came out and then I immediately played Ys Origins and bought the rest of the series available to the West through Steam once Azure Sage made me aware that I could, but I’m still yet to play through those. I was very excited though and happy to play Ys IX Monstrum Nox upon release last year. Hopefully that won’t be the last release in this series.

Barbie's riding club was one of my more played PC games as a kid
There was a Barbie Spy game that I was really into when I was around 10yrs old. I was definitely not the intended demographic, but it was one of the first games I can ever remember completing and I feel like it was pretty solid.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I wish I’d gotten into the Ys series much earlier than I have. I only got into it when VIII came out and then I immediately played Ys Origins and bought the rest of the series available to the West through Steam once Azure Sage made me aware that I could, but I’m still yet to play through those. I was very excited though and happy to play Ys IX Monstrum Nox upon release last year. Hopefully that won’t be the last release in this series.
it's confirmed that they're working on a new Ys game, don't know if it's Ys 10 though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom