• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games You Regret Selling/Giving Away

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Sometimes when we think we're not going to play a certain game anymore or maybe just need the money, we end up letting it go. But occationally they can come back to haunt us in one way or another. So what games have you sold, traded, or even just gave away that you ended up regretting? It's not too often I sell my games and I haven't regretted letting go of any of the games I sold in recent years (much), but two from childhood come to mind

Four Swords Adventures
I got this when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, and my first impressions were not really favorable. It wasn't b/c it was in 2d, I definitely wasn't expecting it to look like Wind Waker or anything, but I think it was the structure of it. It was more level based and I really DID NOT like the fact that you couldn't save until you beat the level. I stopped at around Hyrule Castle. I ended up giving it to my friend to which my mom would scold me for doing so (rightfully so looking back). If it played more like a standard adventure game I might've kept it still. I have means to play it nowadays but I do wish I still had original copy of it.

Mario Party 4
This is a weird one b/c it wasn't my decision to part w/ it, it was my brother's. My brother randomly asked me one day if there were any games I had that he could sell. I didn't know why I didn't just say no, but I basically gave him Mario Party 4 b/c that was the one I'd be most willing to part with. And that still holds true actually, out of the games I had as a kid, Mario Party 4 was the only one I'd be kinda ok letting go. Though now that I think about it, I remember offering one of my Nickelodeon games and he said it wouldn't be worth much, ha. But yeah, the lame part was that I got no money out of it, he just sold it and that was that. Nowadays all the Gamecube Mario Parties are worth an arm and a leg so I probably won't be owning 4 physically anytime soon.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

It was Spring Break of 2010, I went with my mom into Big Lots and she bought a few things and I saw that they were advertising Wii games for only $5. My mom let me pick two games, one was a video game adaption of Bakugan Battle Brawlers, at the time I used to watch that show and collect Bakugan. The game was actually really good because it was just like the card game.

Kind of a tangent. Back on track! The other game I got was The Force Unleashed. The game was fun, but very short. At some point I sold it with a bunch of other games, for some reason, and now I regret it. I'd kind of like to replay it, but it will always only be a 5 dollar game to me so paying the price it is listed for online just seems not worth it. I should have kept it.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I feel your pain with Mario Party. I stupidly got rid of a lot games in the past because I figured I didn't need them anymore and mostly because my brother talked me into it as well.

Sure, they helped me get other games but it wasn't the wisest decision looking back either. I've since tried to get some back, like Resident Evil: Deadly Silence on DS and Twilight Princess on Gamecube because I figured REmake on Gamecube and Twilight Princess on Wii were obvious upgrades...

But one game I really really regret today is Mario Kart: Double Dash which I've seen just keep increasing in value. It was my first Mario Kart, therefore I have the most nostalgia for it, so one day I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet on it. I figured I had Mario Kart Wii so why do I need this one?

I also got rid of Mario Kart DS, another game I have huge nostalgia for just because I "upgraded" to Mario Kart 7... Luckily, I was able to get that one back.

While TMNT: Arcade Attack on DS isn't necessarily the greatest game, as a huge TMNT fan, I really wish I held onto this one, especially since it was the last game to release based around my era of Ninja Turtles. I was hesitant to trade it in, but again, my brother pretty much twisted my arm.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. I sold it and Super Mario Sunshine years ago at my aunt's thrift store. I didn't care much about keeping games back then, but now I realize with Nintendo games just how hard it can be to buy them again for cheap. I also regretted selling Sunshine for a while too, but the re-release of it makes me regret it a bit less.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
I did not sell this game - my dad did years ago - but I wish I had never lost our original copy of Lego Star Wars: The Video Game. We got Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, and my dad figured it was "better" so he got rid of our copies of that original game as well as its sequel, Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy. I am more sad about losing Lego Star Wars 1 because The Complete Saga reused more assets from and more closely resembled the second game. Plus, Lego Star Wars 1 made the prequels look cool.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Several games, tbh.

I was in the unfortunate habit of trading in games when I didn't want them anymore as a kid, so games like Super Mario Strikers, my SS gold remote bundle, several DS games, etc. I still kick myself over doing a lot of that.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Any games that I've ever sold really. I had a much more limited budget as a kid, so I'd sometimes sell old games to get a lower price on the new ones. It's something I regret now, so I'm sort of on a quest to recover those games. It's not something I'm actively pursuing, just whenever I feel like it.
Examples of games I still need to obtain: Wario World, Pokémon Snap, Vexx. Those are the ones I can think of right now, but there are a few more

MW7

I let someone borrow my copy of Ocarina of Time Master Quest about 13 years ago in high school, and the person has not returned it because I haven't seen them since high school. I'm not as concerned about the value which has increased as much as the access to the game. If it wasn't for Ocarina of Time 3d, I would be hunting the person down.

Probably two. Bit only a slight regret as overall I am ok mostly with selling them.

1. Game and Watch console - Snoopy Tennis
2. Terranigma SNES cart.

The first was given to me and it could be worth something now but oh well, that was ages ago.
The second I know is worth a ton. I sold it for cheap just to get rid of it (as part of a bundle). I stopped using my old NES and SNES games and sold them all. Maybe I should have kept it, oh well. It's easy enough to emulate these days, which is a good thing. I no longer own a CRT TV/monitor and have no want to enter the analogue to digital convertor rabbit hole.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Giving up Pokemon Red to Game Stop when its battery died cuz I didn't know it could be replaced and I just wanted it to be safely recycled. I was probably in middle or early high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom