• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games You Hate but Everyone else Love

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
i would say the final fantasy games they all suck and furthermore- final fantasy 13 III! what!? a sequal to a sequal of a sequal? it makes no sense!!

Well FF13 wasn't a sequel, but I see no harm in having multiple sequential sequels myself. I mean think about it, a story so expansive that it needs to span several games isn't a bad thing automatically! :P

Also, have you played FF12 (for PS2)? That one seems to be rated highly even by non-fans.

Mario Galaxy, really everyone loves it and its a pretty decent functional game for a one designed for motion controls and it looks nice but... i just don't like it, the idea of it feels too desperate, not far enough removed from elements we saw in Sunshine, and its just feels like a mess, it looks it too, it used to be simple to choose worlds, open a door and jump into a painting, but now we have a hub we can fall off of which is just tossed together without a care... the levels aren't that inspired really, i've seen better level ideas in previous mario games including Mario Kart. Mario feels quite limited now too, i know he isn't that far removed from his moveset in M64 but there isn't much call to use them as there was in 64, 64 still feels bigger too and the worlds felt like worlds, big long levels of terrain where a fall wouldnt kill you.

I hate Mario's current tendency to have levels suspended above pits, Mario 3D Land did the same. Was there a bomb that blasted the Mushroom Kingdom into floating pieces?

Hanyou

didn't build that
I no longer hate Twilight Princess. I did on release. I hated the art style, the story, the world, much of the music, the characters, and the gameplay that was linear without needing to be.

After playing it a second time, I respect what they wanted to do with the art style, though the cartoonish proportions of the character models, for example, and the limited power of the Wii compromise their vision. There is a real dissonance there. I love the dungeons, and they're some of my favorite in the series. I like Colin and the Zora Prince.

On the other hand, I still despise Midna. I don't feel that the danger to Hyrule is made clear enough. The story is really about the Twilight Realm, but we rarely visit it and when we do, it is ugly as sin.

I wish Twilight Princess had actually been about Link, Hyrule, and Zelda, that the towns had been richer, the characters more interesting, the setting more varied. I feel like the vision of the world deserved it. But for the most part, it was a mess.

That said, I know not everyone else loves it, and there's a vocal subset of the Zelda community that despises the game. I have come to respect it, but I still don't like it.

Mario Galaxy, really everyone loves it and its a pretty decent functional game for a one designed for motion controls and it looks nice but... i just don't like it, the idea of it feels too desperate, not far enough removed from elements we saw in Sunshine, and its just feels like a mess, it looks it too, it used to be simple to choose worlds, open a door and jump into a painting, but now we have a hub we can fall off of which is just tossed together without a care... the levels aren't that inspired really, i've seen better level ideas in previous mario games including Mario Kart. Mario feels quite limited now too, i know he isn't that far removed from his moveset in M64 but there isn't much call to use them as there was in 64, 64 still feels bigger too and the worlds felt like worlds, big long levels of terrain where a fall wouldnt kill you.

I hate Mario's current tendency to have levels suspended above pits, Mario 3D Land did the same. Was there a bomb that blasted the Mushroom Kingdom into floating pieces?

From what I've seen, this is a fairly common criticism. Allegations of linearity (when really, the game is not structurally more linear than any Mario before it, and is less linear than a vast majority) and a limited moveset are not rare.

I was initially disappointed when I heard that Mario Galaxy wasn't as "free" as Mario 64. In hindsight, I don't think my past self had much of a point. Mario Galaxy doesn't have to be Super Mario 64--it has its own identity, and I'm glad for that. I just can't fault the impeccable level design and platforming.

Super Mario Galaxy built on Super Mario 64, but I think it also did something different: it brought the best gameplay of the 2D games into the 3D realm. That accounts for the majority of the design choices that are commonly lambasted. Fortunately, I think it also preserved some of the best of Mario 64, such as the concept of a hub world. In fact, the hub world in Galaxy is much more streamlined.

I acknowledge the differences between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64, but strongly disagree with anyone who thinks those differences are weaknesses.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
the limited power of the Wii compromise their vision. There is a real dissonance there.

*Limited power of the GameCube. It would have looked significantly better had it been native to the Wii. ;)

Fortunately, I think it also preserved some of the best of Mario 64, such as the concept of a hub world. In fact, the hub world in Galaxy is much more streamlined.

While I can't deny that Galaxy's hub overworld was flawlessly designed, I can't say that I think it's appropriate for a Mario game, 3D or not. I don't see why we should have to travel to different portions of a given area just to get to different worlds. That's why I love Galaxy 2's return to a traditional map. It's so much quicker, so much more convenient. Of course, it still had the Starship Mario to mess around with, so it didn't completely get rid of the hub part, but I actually prefer this, as well. I think it's a great mixture of the two styles, as we can still get 1 ups and whatnot while still having a proper world map. It's definitely the style 3D Mario should keep using in the future.

Last edited:

prince rallis

I'm a huge metal fan.
Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness(I've already explained why I hate this game here)
Pac Man Party,Ruined one of my favorite childhood video game series with the change of everyone pacman sounding like a child (What happened to his Pac Man World 3 voice that was like perfect for him.) and alot other stuff
And last is Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis,I know people hate this game but my brother acctually LIKES this game(don't ask me wants wrong with him because I dont know)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
From what I've seen, this is a fairly common criticism. Allegations of linearity (when really, the game is not structurally more linear than any Mario before it, and is less linear than a vast majority) and a limited moveset are not rare.

Limited move set is fine and is, in fact, one of the reasons Mario doesn't need to be linear. However, play the first course in Super Mario 64 and the first course in Super Mario Galaxy. Bomb-Omb battlefield's first star is one of the more limiting stars of the game--but you are still given more freedom than you are in Super Mario Galaxy.

In Super Mario Galaxy, you follow a direct path to Dino Piranha and that's the end of it. In Super Mario 64, you can explore a new world, walk down the path to King Bomb Omb or teleport or fly or use a canon and/or use the other teleport as well. Heck, maybe you see the star behind Chain Chomps gate and decide to get that first and this is, again, one of the more limiting stars.

SMG's courses are as linear as SM3DL's courses.

I was initially disappointed when I heard that Mario Galaxy wasn't as "free" as Mario 64. In hindsight, I don't think my past self had much of a point. Mario Galaxy doesn't have to be Super Mario 64--it has its own identity, and I'm glad for that. I just can't fault the impeccable level design and platforming.

I honestly just feel this should have been a handheld release. It didn't even feel like a 3D game. It felt, again, like SM3DL: A 2D game with 3D graphics.

I acknowledge the differences between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64, but strongly disagree with anyone who thinks those differences are weaknesses.

I feel like it took out some of the best things SM64 had to offer. SM64 offered unique worlds filled with exploration while SMG returned to the linear paths of the 2D titles. The controls felt awkward and on SMG, more more than SM64, which is disappointing seeing as this is coming from a newer title. But really, the most disappointing thing was how constricted the game felt. I know some games, like Zelda, have something to gain from this. But Mario didn't use any of the benefits of linearity and ultimately suffered.

To be honest, I cannot understand games that have any sort of content that is a problem in society.

I mean violence here, mainly; not horror violence like Resident Evil (which is acceptable as it's fictional), but games like Grand Theft Auto.

A game where you go around killing people, stealing cars and other things that are a major problem in reality. Isn't that a sort of bad influence?

And let's not forget war games (Call of Duty, Medal of Honour...). War is, imo, one of the worst things in world history, in every aspect; and to make games that focus on killing people in a battlefield seems to me kind of immoral (yes, I know it's a game and it isn't really happening but most of you know what I mean).

DarkestLink

To be honest, I cannot understand games that have any sort of content that is a problem in society.

I mean violence here, mainly; not horror violence like Resident Evil (which is acceptable as it's fictional), but games like Grand Theft Auto.

A game where you go around killing people, stealing cars and other things that are a major problem in reality. Isn't that a sort of bad influence?

And let's not forget war games (Call of Duty, Medal of Honour...). War is, imo, one of the worst things in world history, in every aspect; and to make games that focus on killing people in a battlefield seems to me kind of immoral (yes, I know it's a game and it isn't really happening but most of you know what I mean).

I don't think it's a bad influence...but where's the joy in it? I find it disturbing that people gain a pleasure in pretending to kill innocents....

Austin

Austin
I wouldn't say hate, but I really don't understand the fuss over the two Galaxy games. They're solid titles but they don't come anywhere close to Mario 64 or even Sunshine, as far as 3D platformers go.

I despise Sonic Adventure 2. So much. I tried really hard to get into the game but every time I thought I was almost having fun in a Sonic level they made me play as Knuckles or Tails for five or six levels. Those characters have some of the most mind-numbing, utterly unenjoyable sequences I've ever played in a game. I don't understand how anyone likes it.

I don't think it's a bad influence...but where's the joy in it? I find it disturbing that people gain a pleasure in pretending to kill innocents....

There's still a line between reality and fiction. People enjoy it because it doesn't hurt anyone else in real life, so why should anyone feel guilty about it? It's the same with movies. People do enjoy watching others get killed. Although, going into that would go off topic.

LOL

I'm deaf, For real
Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past. Okay... Okay... Stop gathering around me, it's getting crowded in here. I know that game was most loved but I don't like bird's eye games. I just didn't feel like i knew my surroundings very well.

DarkestLink

There's still a line between reality and fiction. People enjoy it because it doesn't hurt anyone else in real life, so why should anyone feel guilty about it? It's the same with movies. People do enjoy watching others get killed. Although, going into that would go off topic.

I understand the joy in being a villain in an RPG game, but that isn't what GTA is...

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Sonic '06. I don't particularly LIKE it, but I appreciate the fact that the game itself had some sort of potential to be something great. Other than that it sucked. :loss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom