• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games You Forget How to Play

Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?

You know, when you play a game for a while, then put it down to play something else and its weeks or months before you pick it back up again, and when you do you can't remember the controls?

Games like Zelda, Mario, Kirby and Smash Bros you don't forget how to play they're varied but simple pick up and play, but for me, games like The Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade Chronicles completely fall from my memory and when i pick up the game again being half way through the story I can never remember how to do special moves or chain attacks or anything that would help me out and so i have to go looking or experimenting for the answer.

Does anyone else get this? if you do which games do you forget how to play after a long or short while?

Last edited:

Dan

I don't believe I've ever had a game were I've forgot the controls. or how to perform a task. I've always needed to gain my mojo back for the specific game to get good at it again, but that's about it.
I suppose I could throw in street fighter combos but that's about it. :I

This happens to me all the time and usually in the RPG genre! One title I've had a particularly hard time getting back into is Chrono Trigger. I've completely forgotten the attributes of each character in my party. Chrono, Frog, Robo, and those two girls. These are all mundane personas who fail to differentiate themselves one from the other for me.

While Nintendo titles are traditionally easy to get into I have a hard time picking up the recent Zelda games. The touch and motion controls are largely foreign to me as I clumsily work to recall their intricacies. In regards to a more specific title from the company I will never feel natural playing Donkey Kong Country Returns no matter how hard I try to love the forced motion.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Pandora's Tower and Last Story I'm generally OK with but when it comes time to using the Monado's power in Xenoblade, I can never remember what each power does...I always need to access the level up power screen in order to memorise what they do and which order I've set them too! The only thing I forget with Pandora's Tower is that I can chain enemies together and have them take shared damage.

This never happens with any genre other than RPGs for me...specifically JRPGs...

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
After playing Skyward Sword for months, I attempted to play Twilight Princess. I swear, I felt stupid trying to use items.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I played TPWii and forgot how to play TPGC momentarily, does that count?

Oh, and once I forgot how to play Final Fantasy XII for the PS2. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again xD

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Oh. My. Gosh.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME. This usually happens when I am transitioning between Wii Zelda and DS Zelda. I always, ALWAYS, try to move Link on the DS with the control pad. Why must Nintendo troll me with these awkward controls? Anyways, after not playing Spyro for several years, I forgot the controls again when I picked up my copy of Enter the Dragonfly. It wasn't long before I got very confused. It also wasn't long before the game crashed. Why must these things happen to me?

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Well one time I was playing Pokemon White and then switched to Yellow and every time, I tried tapping the nonexistent touchscreen.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I'm actually pretty good at remembering how to play a game, I just a few minutes to get reused to it and I'm playing it like a pro again. The only thing that's a major problem is if I play Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask after playing Wind Waker I'll try to use the c-stick to move the camera but that uses the items.

doesn't usually happen to me, except this one time I can only think of. I had stopped playing SS for a lil bit (about 2 or 3 months idk) because I got TP got into that not. And when I switch back to SS, I had to start over to learn the controls again -_-

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
All the time! This happens to me with Medal of Honor. I like to go back and play Frontline just for memories, and I cant get anything right! Its like learning it all over again >.<

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
I'm terrible at this- I do it with music too. I'll learn a song and then forget it.
Once at a party, someone had Silent Hill 2 playing and they couldn't figure out the beginning part when James has to pick up the wood with nails to hit the monster with. I acted all cool like "hand it here, let me show you how it's done"...it was years after I had beaten it too...anyway, I looked like a total azz because I couldn't get the controls down right away. Even though I beat this game! One of the guys looked at me and said "are you sure you beat this game?" haha

WW IsDa Bombchu

Fez+Bowtie=Time
This happened to me with Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. I completely forgot what buttons did what, and ended up jumping off buildings accidentally in both games. To a lesser extent, this happened to me when I replayed Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 a couple days ago, but I remembered most of the stuff, save a few combos per character.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
:S This has only happened to me with DBZ Budokai 2 I still really haven't memorized the controls again though and Final Fantasy 6 I play it for days and not play it one day and forget the blitz commands. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom