• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games You Don't Like That Everyone Else Loves

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Yeah, they're out there. These games that people absolutely adore, but you just...couldn't get into them one way or another. I have a few myself, and was wondering...are there any games that you just couldn't get into, even though everyone else (your friends, gaming critics, etc) says they love them? This thread is actually inspired by a recent Caddicarus video I saw, so I can't take full credit for it, but I'm very curious to see what games other people just don't like as much as everyone else.

Myself, I'm not too huge of a fan of Banjo Kazooie (and I've only played the first one, so I have no opinion on Tooie). There are a lot of things to love about that love about that game: the level design, the music, the sound design (I love it when Banjo gets a Jiggy and he goes "DUH HUH!")...but there are some big flaws with it as well.

Namely, the music note one: If you die, you have to collect ALL the notes ALL over again. That. Is. Bullsh*t. There are 100 of these things in a level, and with each level they are harder and harder to collect. I get that its incentive not to die but...shouldn't failure/game over be enough incentive? Hell, shouldn't it be game overs that cause you to start over, not just a singular death? What's the point of 1 ups if continues are completely moot? This felt like a pretty big design flaw to me, as you needed music notes to continue on your adventure.

The other reason was my love and admiration for DK 64, which, in my opinion, is a far better 3D platformer collectathon. The levels were just as unique, if not moreso, the music was just as good (I mean, its Donkey Kong...come on...), the characters had their own unique personalities while barely saying a word...it just feels like an almost perfect game (there are still flaws with it, but they aren't as glaring as Banjo Kazooie's...I'm looking at you, pointlessly infuriating and down right broken minigames :mad:)

Phew, that's enough ranting for me. :P Anyone else got games that everyone else loves but just couldn't get into? Share your opinions here!

Note: Please don't let this turn into some flame war on what games are good and what are not. Keep in mind we all have the right to our opinions. Thanks in advance :)

Ericzander

tinyurl.com/mtkslrd
Portal.

In my opinion it is wayyyyy too over hyped. I understand that many consider it innovative, but it was basically one big headache for me (literally. It made my head hurt).

67ghost

no you're not
I never could get into Oot though I did beat it to get an opinion and it is my least favorite Zelda that I completed please respect.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Anything from Valve. Their games aren't necessarily as shallow as Call of Duty, but feel just as generic. Oh, and Call of Duty, Mega Man, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, and plenty of others that are escaping my mind at the moment.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
A lot of these FPS games. Call of Duty for instance. They're all exactly the same. The only thing different from game to game is the storyline and characters of the campaign, but no one plays these games for the campaign, and it shows because it's always shallow and boring. They play it for the multiplayer. Which is nearly identical. You can't distinguish it game from game. I just could never see the appeal. I bought one CoD game, and I said: "Never again." I wouldn't say it's a waste of money. But it's definitely not worth $60 and it shouldn't be constantly repackaged over and over and everyone just has to be on the latest one.

Also, PvP oriented games in general. I just don't like that kind of thing. So I don't like Smash Brothers. And I prefer to avoid competitive battles in Pokemon. I just don't like PvP, never have. I've seen people who could absolutely dominate in PvP, but hopeless in single player or co-op PvE. And people good at PvE, tend to be terrible at PvP and it just is an unpleasant experience.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Final Fantasy - I heard so many great things about that series, then I tried a game, and FINALLY when something happened, I had to choose from a menu what I wanted to do. It just annoyed the crap out of me and made me instantly turn off the game and get rid of it.

Elder Scrolls annoyed me with clunky mechanics (when you press a button only to have the character wave around instead of actually hitting anything it's annoying), forced first person POV to do anything in the game.

I also have yet to understand what's so fun about Mass Effect...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
There's a lot! And this is all subjective, as liking any game is, just incase people get their knickers in a twist like many do if you say bad things about a game they fangasm all over. As they desperately try and shout their opinion louder than yours. :P

Metal Gear Solid would be one of mine. I like it as a game, it's not bad, not the best stealth game and not the best action gameplay but it's still very fun, but I can't stand the story most of the time. So much inconsistency in the writing and portrayals of both the characters and story itself; all of the attempted strong story-line moments are ruined by moments of stupidity and silliness spread throughout which I feel just make me take it not seriously, so then when it actually tries to be serious it just doesn't work. It'd be like a clown trying to become President. Sure he might do a good job, but, 5 minutes ago he was just being a clown... and now I'm meant to take him seriously? Just doesn't fly for me. Also I find it horribly pretentious.

World of Warcraft is another. Perhaps I would have liked it more if I'd played it on release, but, I played it and it's just a really generic RPG. I was running around doing fetch-quests with a horrible, cliche storyline and un-inspired settings and races. But similar to Half Life, which is now quite generic, I'm sure back in the day WoW was revolutionary so thats likely why my opinion of it is a bit marred. Stuff has moved on now.

Aaaaaand... League of Legends I guess. Is the biggest game not to like! It's not so much that I prefer Dota 2 over it, I went from DOTA to HoN to LoL and then to Dota 2, so I've been around all the MOBAs, I just find LoL to be a bad example of them. It did a great job making the genre accessible and instantly gratifying for players, I respect that, but I just think the game itself is just bad. Real lack of depth in a genre of games famed for it. Just found it boring, and really dislike the art and character style. Inconsistent themed characters that I feel a 13 year old could draw in his Maths book. :P I respect it as a game for what it achieved, but don't like it.

Last edited:
I could never get into the Grand Theft Auto series. Well programmed game, but I just couldn't get into it.

I was never a big fan of Twilight Princess either. :/ I wanted to love it, and I just didn't. :sad:

I'm just not into the FPS genre much at all. So Call of Duty and Halo are two major, popular franchises that I don't care for. I also didn't get the hype for the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy when I went and emulated the first two. I didn't find them to be the holy grail of classic platforming that everyone claims them to be, especially considering the newer installments in Returns and Tropical Freeze (TF was hands-down my favorite of the four I've played).

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
No matter how hard I try...

• League of Legends
  • Mario main series games
  • Most FPS games (CoD, Halo, etc etc...)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Metroid
  • Civilization V
  • Gears of War
  • Garry's Mod (havent really tried it)

inb4 everyone tells me I'm objectively wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom