• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games You Don't Like That Everyone Else Loves

Salem

SICK
There's isn't that many game that I dislike that most people like, I'm sheeple I guess....

Donkey Kong 64: It's just too complicated and dumb
Gears of Wars series: Actually I don't like close-up third person view type games in general, but sometimes I have to endure...
Borderlands 2: I haven't played the first one but I don't like the second one so I don't think I'll ever try the first one.
Metriod Fusion: to SOME extend, I don't hate it, it's just okay, not amazing like Super Metriod.
Zelda Skyward Sword: like Fusion, I don't hate it, it's just the worst Zelda game I ever played.

The reason I didn't mention Metriod Other M is because I assume it's universally hated by other Metriod fans unlike SS which I think is well liked? I dunno, I don't keep track of these things very well.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Minecraft

It seems that almost everyone loves this game and I just don't see the hype. I see that it's creative, I see the charm, I see that it's about starting from nothing etc; however, every time I play it I just get incredibly bored. Playing with friends is slightly better, but on your own it's just quite painful. You're alone, isolated and accompanied by just nothing. The music is quite depressing and it just puts me in a bad mood. When I motivate myself to play it I just don't see why I should. What should I do? Build a house? Spend hours of my life collecting stuff, surviving, and eventually dying? I just don't see the reward from the time put in. One day I played for like 2-3 hours and I was doing pretty well and got a lot of good items/materials and I just lost it all. I'm too impatient to play and I can't spend hours on a game anyway.

Skyward Sword

I've voiced my opinions on this game a lot and I think I have come to the conclusion that it's just not for me. I think it's a great game in its own right, but something just didn't click and it left a really sour taste in my mouth. Was it part disappointment? Oh yes of course and I'm not afraid to admit that; however there were so many missed opportunities and shortcomings in this game is. Maybe it's just not my idealistic view of what a Zelda game should be.

MMO's

This isn't anything specifc but I'm just not fond of this genre whatsoever. It seems like on big cluster**** for the sake of it. Just throw a lot of people online within the same world. I know that's it's selling point but that's my problem. It just seems like a lack of depth. Boring mission layouts, countless micro transactions, little story, and too much happening at once. Yeah just not for me. Oh and for these rumours about a Fallout MMO... Yeah don't do that, I beg of you.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Just to name a few off the top of my head:

-Call of Duty
-GTA
-Mass Effect
-The Last of Us
-Uncharted
-God of War
-Skyrim
-League of Legends
-Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
-Kingdom Hearts

Last edited:
Honestly, I think that the last of us is absolutely awful. Sure, the voice acting and graphics are great, but everything else sucks. The gameplay is boring and repetitive, and the story is generic and lacks any decent twists.

-15/10

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Minecraft It's boring and I don't understand how or why people sit there for hours building **** and killing monsters. There's no end target to any of it. It's just...why?

Twilight Princess I love Zelda and this game had such great ideas involved but the end product is just... sucky.

League of Legends I'm glad this has been mentioned because it reminded me of this game and how boring and dry it is.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Elder Scrolls. Just, the entire series, but particularly Oblivion. I don't get why a non-linear open world is so awesome when there's no actual variety to the scenery and ultimately no purpose to the game. Just wander around and do things until... what, exactly? What's the freaking point?!

People rag on linear games so much these days, but honestly I like clearly knowing what it is I have to do. It gives me goals to work towards even while I can still screw around off to the side every now and then.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Half-Life. I don't much like first-person shooters, but this game absolutely puts me to sleep. What's the appeal? I've tried to look up good reviews online to psych myself up but I don't get far before I become bored with it.

Bioshock Infinite. It looks like it's trying awfully hard to be deep and important, and in the process feels about as overblown and pretentious as James Cameron's Avatar. If you're going to send me a message, don't whack me in the face with it every five seconds; incorporate it into the structure of the gameplay or the story in a subtle, gradual way (a great example of this is Phantasy Star II or Xenoblade). The anti-religion theme is also remarkably trite by this point, and if they were going to take that route, I wish they'd done something more interesting with it.

I'll add that I'm sick of games in general aggressively campaigning to be artistic. The last generation was the worst about this, with numerous games feeling more like amusement park rides that led you by the hand through a set of contrived setpieces so they could "send a message" or "develop character." These games appear very much like big-budget, damn stupid modern Hollywood blockbusters.

For the record, I am not talking about artistic games like Braid, Okami, Portal, Cave Story etc., which are fantastic games with a fantastic story and atmosphere. I am talking about Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, and their ilk. I don't connect with their stories. I don't understand what's so exceptional about them. And honestly, they don't seem much like games at all, but more like average movies with average interactive components. Bioshock Infinite represents all of this.

And after reading all the articles, all the reviews, all the obsessive shouting about how Bioshock Infinite was artistic, the game seems about as intellectually stimulating and artistic as the Matrix sequels.

Super Mario Sunshine. Several frustrating shines are required to complete the game, the player doesn't get to make many choices, and the objectives can be long and tedious. The two console Marios that bookend it got things right; this game is just a mess.

Final Fantasy X. IX was much better and infinitely more charming; why don't people ever talk about that one?

Elder Scrolls. Just, the entire series, but particularly Oblivion. I don't get why a non-linear open world is so awesome when there's no actual variety to the scenery and ultimately no purpose to the game. Just wander around and do things until... what, exactly? What's the freaking point?!

People rag on linear games so much these days, but honestly I like clearly knowing what it is I have to do. It gives me goals to work towards even while I can still screw around off to the side every now and then.

Oblivion is easily the worst Elder Scrolls game. Its main story provides little motivation to explore, its world is bland and lifeless, and very little of it seems to have been hand-crafted. Towns and quests are decent, but the level scaling makes questing miserable and unrealistic. It also ensures that no matter where you are in the world (which already looks boring), you always feel like you're doing the same thing and never feel like you're getting stronger. It all comes off as a bit silly, like a low-budget renaissance fair version of The Elder Scrolls.

However, your description doesn't gel with my experience of Daggerfall, Morrowind, or Skyrim--particularly Morrowind. Morrowind has more variety in its landscape than you're likely to find in most games. Also, its main quest is one of the more interesting stories I have seen in a game, with deep, complex lore that requires you to remain invested. Early in the main quest, as I wandered into a remote ashlander camp, I truly felt like I was on an alien world. Specifically, I felt like Paul Atreides from Dune first encountering the Fremen. How many games let you experience that?

The games are full of little moments like that. If you need a set of objectives to follow, boot up Morrowind, take the silt strider to Balmora, and start talking to Caius. He'll set you on a linear path you won't soon forget. Perhaps people don't talk about the main quest in this game enough, so you don't feel compelled to follow it, but trust me, it's worth it. It'd be a shame to miss out on the writing itself, which is novel-worthy.

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Oblivion is easily the worst Elder Scrolls game. Its main story provides little motivation to explore, its world is bland and lifeless, and very little of it seems to have been hand-crafted. Towns and quests are decent, but the level scaling makes questing miserable and unrealistic. It also ensures that no matter where you are in the world (which already looks boring), you always feel like you're doing the same thing and never feel like you're getting stronger. It all comes off as a bit silly, like a low-budget renaissance fair version of The Elder Scrolls.

However, your description doesn't gel with my experience of Daggerfall, Morrowind, or Skyrim--particularly Morrowind. Morrowind has more variety in its landscape than you're likely to find in most games. Also, its main quest is one of the more interesting stories I have seen in a game, with deep, complex lore that requires you to remain invested. Early in the main quest, as I wandered into a remote ashlander camp, I truly felt like I was on an alien world. Specifically, I felt like Paul Atreides from Dune first encountering the Fremen. How many games let you experience that?

The games are full of little moments like that. If you need a set of objectives to follow, boot up Morrowind, take the silt strider to Balmora, and start talking to Caius. He'll set you on a linear path you won't soon forget. Perhaps people don't talk about the main quest in this game enough, so you don't feel compelled to follow it, but trust me, it's worth it. It'd be a shame to miss out on the writing itself, which is novel-worthy.

Morrowind, huh? Interesting, I'll have to find a copy of it somewhere. Might take a while, those older XBox games are kinda hard to find in my area, I may just break down and order a copy online. But yeah, soon as I get a chance to (and remember to) I'm selling Oblivion. The stealth was cool, and I liked sneaking into people's houses and robbing them blind (I've got quite an impressive book collection sitting in my house at Anvil) but other than that the game is just stupid.

Bioshock Infinite. It looks like it's trying awfully hard to be deep and important, and in the process feels about as overblown and pretentious as James Cameron's Avatar. If you're going to send me a message, don't whack me in the face with it every five seconds; incorporate it into the structure of the gameplay or the story in a subtle, gradual way (a great example of this is Phantasy Star II or Xenoblade). The anti-religion theme is also remarkably trite by this point, and if they were going to take that route, I wish they'd done something more interesting with it.

I'll add that I'm sick of games in general aggressively campaigning to be artistic. The last generation was the worst about this, with numerous games feeling more like amusement park rides that led you by the hand through a set of contrived setpieces so they could "send a message" or "develop character." These games appear very much like big-budget, damn stupid modern Hollywood blockbusters.

For the record, I am not talking about artistic games like Braid, Okami, Portal, Cave Story etc., which are fantastic games with a fantastic story and atmosphere. I am talking about Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, and their ilk. I don't connect with their stories. I don't understand what's so exceptional about them. And honestly, they don't seem much like games at all, but more like average movies with average interactive components. Bioshock Infinite represents all of this.

And after reading all the articles, all the reviews, all the obsessive shouting about how Bioshock Infinite was artistic, the game seems about as intellectually stimulating and artistic as the Matrix sequels.

While I do agree that Bioshock Infinite does seem to be trying too hard at times to be artistic, its natural aesthetic is what drew me in. Much like Okami, I just love how everything looks and sounds in this game. The steampunk subculture is a favorite of mine, I've been getting quite invested in it, and the 1910's steampunk look to everything, the flying cities, etc. really drew me in and still captivate me. And I also have a blast with the gameplay, the Vigors, the various steampunk guns, etc.

And yes, while others may be insisting the anti-religion theme isn't what it seems to be and that the ending changes everything, I don't see how. If the game wasn't really meant to be shoving the anti-religion theme in our faces, why did it shove it into our faces every minute? I don't buy that the ending will be the saving grace that absolves the game of this [*note, I still haven't finished it as of this writing but I plan to today], it doesn't get to say "Faith in a higher being is corrupting" all throughout the game and then handwave it away at the end like "Whoops, that's not what we meant to say, it's something else entirely'. No. Own up to the message you're portraying. I'm actually getting pretty pissed off about it, now that I really think about it. I very seriously contemplated taking the game back and selling it after Booker drowned Prophet Comstock, I got so mad with how much they were shoving the "religion is bad" theme in my face. And looking online at the developing team it seems the main staff is pretty anti-religious and wanted to explore that theme in the game, which explains a lot.

So, I'm at a very weird conflict where I love the aesthetic and gameplay but hate the message it's portraying.

*EDIT* I finished the game, and I am no longer in conflict with how I feel about Bioshock Infinite. The anti-religious and anti-faith messages out-weight the cool aesthetics and fun gameplay for me now, and I hate this game.

Last edited:
Super Mario World.

I find it to be very sloppily designed with huge flaws, and a step down in every significant aspect from Super Mario Bros. 3. Blue Yoshi and the cape make 80% of the levels completely trivial since you can just fly over them, and being able to revisit levels means you never run out of those items. The world map is a nice touch, but even that is a downgrade from SMB3 in that there is nothing to interact with on the map itself. It simply serves as a visual representation of the world, and though it has many branching paths, there is nothing to do on the map whatsoever other than choose what level to play. When you compare this with SMB3, which had many distinct maps with varied environments, and each map had its own unique elements, even the interconnected world aspect of SMW falls flat.

For instance, World 3 in SMB3 has bridges that raise and lower, the pipe world has giant piranha plant map tiles that send you to a mini area, World 8 has the giant hands that can randomly pull you into a level, there are wandering hammer bros in most worlds, there are toad houses to visit and minigames to play, etc. SMW has none of this, yet it is praised as being an expansive game with a fantastic world. I just don't get it.

Couple that with the fact that it has less items, lacks the inventory system introduced in 3, and lacks the variety in environments 3 had, and SMW has always been the weakest console Mario game for me, maybe next to Lost Levels.

Other than that, I'm not a huge fan of Pokemon X and think it's completely forgettable and mediocre as a game, and completely rests on the core gameplay systems of the Pokemon franchise instead of crafting a good game on top of those mechanics.

Edit: remembered some others

I don't like most games that run on the Source engine (TF2, L4D, etc.). Movement feels very sloppy and it feels like you're on ice 24/7. I also don't see the appeal of MOBAs like DotA2 and LoL.

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff

Just based on what you said... I get the feeling that you have never played any TES game before. But since you mentioned selling your copy of Oblivion, it more so seems like you just played it for a few days or so and gave up. It certainly is a weak point in the series. But it isn't that bad if you give it a chance. In fact, that's how all the TES games are. They feel odd starting out, and then people just give up there. but if you stick with it, it'll grow on you and you'll be obsessed. Also, a lot of people got turned off of Oblivion simply because of the bad voice acting and weird character models. But the game play and story was still good.

Non-linearity is what makes them so popular. And there actually is a variety of scenery. Every game has its own unique areas and landscapes. And it can be as linear as you want it to be. You can single-mindedly pursue the main quest if you want. And just go from quest to quest and not do anything else. Though it'll probably make the games more difficult. Especially Morrowind, that game is rather unforgiving.

Morrowind, huh? Interesting, I'll have to find a copy of it somewhere. Might take a while, those older XBox games are kinda hard to find in my area, I may just break down and order a copy online. But yeah, soon as I get a chance to (and remember to) I'm selling Oblivion. The stealth was cool, and I liked sneaking into people's houses and robbing them blind (I've got quite an impressive book collection sitting in my house at Anvil) but other than that the game is just stupid.
No, don't get Morrowind on Xbox. It was made for PC and it was a very, VERY bad port to the Xbox. Very laggy and glitchy. And you're going to want to get the unofficial patches anyway. The game's nearly unplayable without them.

Salem

SICK
Super Mario World.

I find it to be very sloppily designed with huge flaws, and a step down in every significant aspect from Super Mario Bros. 3. Blue Yoshi and the cape make 80% of the levels completely trivial since you can just fly over them, and being able to revisit levels means you never run out of those items. The world map is a nice touch, but even that is a downgrade from SMB3 in that there is nothing to interact with on the map itself. It simply serves as a visual representation of the world, and though it has many branching paths, there is nothing to do on the map whatsoever other than choose what level to play. When you compare this with SMB3, which had many distinct maps with varied environments, and each map had its own unique elements, even the interconnected world aspect of SMW falls flat.

For instance, World 3 in SMB3 has bridges that raise and lower, the pipe world has giant piranha plant map tiles that send you to a mini area, World 8 has the giant hands that can randomly pull you into a level, there are wandering hammer bros in most worlds, there are toad houses to visit and minigames to play, etc. SMW has none of this, yet it is praised as being an expansive game with a fantastic world. I just don't get it.

Couple that with the fact that it has less items, lacks the inventory system introduced in 3, and lacks the variety in environments 3 had, and SMW has always been the weakest console Mario game for me, maybe next to Lost Levels.
As much as I love Super Mario world, I agree with everything you said about it.

Although I would say Super Mario Bros 2 is my favourite Mario game but that's just me. It doesn't use too many power-ups the health upgrades don't carry over to new levels so you can;t really "break" the game and have too much power-ups like Mario World.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

I got it from the 3DS ambassador program. It was my first time playing a FE game, so I didn't know what to expect. I only played it for about 5 minutes before I got fed up with the gameplay. Not my style at all.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I know this game is generally really well-liked and popular, but I don't like it. There were a few parts I did enjoy, like The City in the Sky and such. But overall, I was not pleased with the game. From the drab and dreary colors of the art style to the story to the annoying characters (particularly Midna, I can't stand her) to the dungeons and puzzles and bosses (I found them all far too easy), Twilight Princess is not a game I would want to play again. I just don't like it.

Bravely Default

I don't know if it's popular or not, but I played the free demo from the 3DS eShop. While the story did intrigue me a little, the gameplay drove me away pretty fast, just like what happened with FE: The Sacred Stones.

The Mario Kart series

I don't like racing games. At all.

The Mario Bros. Series

I've played a couple Mario games, and I liked Super Mario Galaxy. But in general I'm not a big fan of the series. It just doesn't really click with me. I'm not very into platformers.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
From the Zelda Series:
Skyward Sward - I just couldn't get into that game. I played it once and tried to replay it but I just couldn't get myself to it. The controls are not the reason because they worked fine for me. It was just the game in general. I never had the Zelda feeling with it. The graphics were not what I expected, the music was not that great except for some themes. The only thing I liked were the realms but besides that I didn't like that game one bit. What Azure has against Midna is what I feel towards Ghirahim. I dislike him so much I almost vomit when I see him on screen. This is a game I would easily sell and never regret it.

Pokemon:
I played it and I enjoyed to level up my pokemons but it is not my kinda game. I just can't get into it. I just don't even get the hype about this game and how everybody is so in awwww for Pokemon but I bet it is just me :P

Games like GT:
I'm not into racing. I played a racing game once which was Senna's GP and became world champion with it. But to me it is boring. I just don't get myself playing racing games and doing nothing than buying cars, upgrade cars, drivers and drive for hours.

Mario basketball, tennis, soccer, party, olympic games etc:
I LOVE Mario games but I just don't like these games. They seem to be so limited. Yes of course there are tons of side quests and minigames but these games are all a bit of the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom