• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games You Both Love and Hate

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Are there any games you've played that you love to death, yet there are still parts of it you can't stand?

For example, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is one of my favorite games on the Switch right now, and it's easily my favorite in FE as a series. Yet, that only applies to half of the four routes. The Golden Deer route was amazing and is my favorite FE experience, and at the same time the Black Eagles route is my least favorite FE experience and I despise it so much I never want to touch it again. They are both part of the same game, yet I have such vastly conflicting feelings about them.

Does anyone else have such experiences with certain games?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Skyward Sword. It really speaks to me, and I really clicked with the motion controls but oh my lord some of the design decisions.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Hm. This one is a bit tough.

Metroid Prime is one game that fits this for me. I love the atmosphere, music, and exploration aspects of the game, but I hate the artifact hunt and the high amount of backtracking. The controls are also pretty dated by today's standards. Getting into a fight with multiple enemies can be annoying because there's not a good way of getting enemies off you easily and the camera is so stiff and hard to get to move in the way that you want it to. The Trilogy version fixes this somewhat, but I would really like to see the Prime Trilogy Switch version and (eventually) Prime 4 completely fix this with dual stick controls.

The other game I can think of is Spirit Tracks. I love the characters, music, and art style, but the stylus controls ruin it for me. I stopped playing because it was tedious to fumble around with a stylus when a d-pad would have worked so much better.

MW7

I don't think there's any game that I love 100% of it. In Ocarina of Time, I don't like all the steps you need to take between the Deku Tree and Dodongo's Cavern. In general I don't like the stuff that is in between dungeons in Zelda games with exceptions. In Twilight Princess I hate the tears of light quests but love the hidden village for example. In Skyward Sword I hate the Imprisoned but love the Silent Realms. In Majora's Mask I hate the Bottom of the Well but don't mind most of the other pre-dungeon tasks.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Fire Emblem Binding Blade b/c it was my first in the series which I really got into and the soundtrack is awesome, but it can be unfairly hard causing me to restart multiple times, and the standard ending is like the most unfulfilling thing ever, so you have to go out of your way to get the good ending

also I think even Star Fox Zero, b/c there's a great game in there but the bad things about it can really get in the way, and I'm not just talking the controls, more so the concept of it being a reboot

Star Fox 64
It's a good game, I really like it. I played the heck out of it back in the day. However there are a few things I really don't like about the game even though I like everything else about it.

The music.
When I heard it for the first time I was so disappointed. It just felt like orchestral styled background noise. It had none of the amazing energy that the music from the SNES game had. Sure the SNES game's music was not perfect, it was heading in the right direction.
A good example is Corneria in both games. On the SNES, the music hit you in the face, loud and proud urging you on to get to the end and win. On the N64, the music is so anticlimactic. I am aware Nintendo tried to fit the music around the chit chat. This helped bring the chit chat to the fore, but to the detriment of the music.
The rest of the N64 game's music is just as bad. However we need to qualify the word bad here. WHat the N64 has musically is well done. it;s just the total wrong genre of music for a Star Fox game. Star Fox games need music that hit you in the face and keep up with you while you destroy hundreds of enemy ships. The SNES game was on the way to doing this, but the N64 game failed at it.

Venom via Easy
It's exponentially easier to get a medal on Venom via hard, then it is Venom via easy. To the point I've medalled every stage back in the day on normal and hard except Venom via easy.

Cornerian Language
On the PAL version it existed as a vocal option. However it was quite different to the SNES vocals. I've not played the NTSC version of the N64 game in a long time but I believe it didn't have the Cornerian Language option. Nintendo should have used the SNES Cornerian language in the N64 game and just updated it to sound better.

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Dragon quest builders one - the third chapter where you cant get the blackspace for ages...

Last edited:

The Bread Pirate

Youtuber/Student/Christian
Twilight Princess.

It was my first Zelda game and I play it more than any other in the series, but it is seriously flawed. I wish the game took advantage of the open-world better, utilized more of the game mechanics it created, and wasn't so linear.

And don't get me started on the Twilight! I was not a fan of that gimmick.

Despite all that, it's still my favorite in the series. Mostly due to nostalgia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom