• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games With Movie Elements

MW7

I was thinking the other day about video games that "borrow" major elements from movies. The only two examples I could think of were Luigi's Mansion borrowing from Ghostbusters obviously for the ghost catching and Majora's Mask borrowing from the time loop from Groundhog's Day. Now coincidentally these are both Bill Murray movies, but I don't want to limit the discussion to his movies. Also don't limit yourself to Nintendo games only. So are there any interesting elements from movies that you noticed play an important role in video games? And please don't say things like Goldeneye borrowed from Goldeneye because it's Goldeneye.

Also I felt like this could go in this board, the entertainment board, or the general board so I arbitrarily chose this one.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I've got another example of that.

A lot of people probably know this already, but Solid Snake looks like Kurt Russell in Escape from New York. In fact, Kojima himself said so and that it was on purpose.

Kurt-Russell.jpg solid-snake-20080606013343719_640w.jpg

EDIT: Reignbow below just mentioned the similarities with Kyle Reese and the NES Snake. I'm not talking about the same thing, but funny how Metal Gear always seems to borrow from movies, isn't it?

Attachments

• 322c6d8c715c14aa2a190ddbd1e947ce_snake.jpg
    322c6d8c715c14aa2a190ddbd1e947ce_snake.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
the original Megaman series as well as the Megaman X and Zero series make the use of vehicals that closely resemble vehicals from the Star Wars movies, on top of that in the first Megaman X, the final boss Sigma has a lightsaber and Zero has a lightsaber as well

On the subject of Metal Gear, it's been said fairly widely, including by The Angry Video Game Nerd, that Snake, from the cover of the NES Metal Gear, looks a lot like Kyle Reese from The Terminator.
MichaelBiehn_SolidSnake.jpg

Also, though Majoras Mask came before The Two Towers, the sequence in which Link holds onto Epona while the Skull Kid steals her always reminds me of the scene in which Aragorn is caught on a Warg as it goes over a cliff.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Starting with NFS Underground, the Need for Speed series started to use The Fast and the Furious as a major influence.
Destroy All Humans owes a lot to Sci-Fi movies of the 50s. In fact, Plan 9 From Outer Space is included on the disc.
The Stranger in Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is modelled after Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Silent Hill 2 and Lost Highway share a lot of elements, most notably a mysterious doppelganger of the protagonist's wife.
In Chibi Robo, toys come alive when no humans are around. Just like in Toy Story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom