• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games We Overlooked

Majora's Cat

How about that
The past decade or so has brought several masterpieces into the world of gaming. The majority of these obtain the attention that they deserve, but some tend to go unnoticed. It may be because of another major game release around the same time period or just a lack of interest surrounding the release. Some games are extremely successful at the time of launch, but later fall in obscurity and start to become ignored. Or maybe the franchise isn’t well known? Whatever the reason may be, some truly stellar games have been lurking in the shadows, largely unseen by the public eye of the modern day.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

normal_GCN_Metroid_Prime_2_Echoes_ss01.jpg

Ten minutes into the game and you’re hooked. That’s how magnificent the second Metroid Prime game is. If there is one thing that the game gets absolutely right, it’s the balance of difficulty. While some sections of the game can be challenging, it’s immediately balanced out by a more straightforward section. However, the difficulty level does not fluctuate to the point where the player gets sucked in and out of the game.

In true Metroid fashion, MP2 progresses in a very straightforward way. Linearity is usually one of Metroid’s distinguishing characteristics, and Metroid Prime 2 doesn’t stray so far from the pack. Although at some points in the game the player must decide for himself/herself which route he/she should take, there are still a limited number of options, and enough searching and backtracking should lead you to the correct destination.

What really sets Metroid Prime 2: Echoes apart from the other Metroid Prime games is the inclusion of Dark Aether, an alternate realm that is modeled exactly like Light Aether. The world of Dark Aether is ruled by the evil Ing, who are on the verge of finally defeating the Luminoth of Light Aether and taking the entire planet for themselves. It’s up to Samus to serve as the savior of the Luminoth and defeat the Ing at the three Temples of Dark Aether. The driving force behind the gameplay (AKA the story) is well-written, but there’s a noticeable lack of voice acting.

Dark Aether is the main obstruction in the player’s progression. Dark Aether’s atmosphere rapidly drains Samus’ life if she steps out of designated safe zones, The dark energy also makes normal enemies much more powerful. To add another dimension to the gameplay, Dark and Light beams give Samus the ability to access doors, shoot platforms and perform other beam-specific functions to move along. Bosses also make appearances several times in the span of one hour, so the player should be ready for multiple heart-pounding boss battles.

The overall package is a great one. Echoes is much like the Majora’s Mask of the Metroid series because of how different and dark it is, but is also similar to Twilight Princess because of its alternate dark world. Being the sequel to Metroid Prime, MP2 had some mighty big shoes to fill. However, the game takes the best attributes from the best games and mixes them all masterfully. The product? A one-of-a-kind experience that towers above its competition.

The Legend of Zelda

Level_3-13.bmp

What? No, you don’t think LoZ has been “overlooked”? Among the possibilities I listed in the first paragraph, I would say The Legend of Zelda fits most comfortably under the “descended into obscurity” category. We owe the existence of Zelda games today to the great originator. How is it even possibly to miss it? Well, the game is incredibly old. Younger gamers tend to go for the 3D Zelda games first. As their allegiance to the series solidifies, they take the oldies out for a spin.

I have personally ignored The Legend of Zelda. I had almost completely forgotten about its existence because I was so entangled in the affairs of the people of Clock Town and too busy sailing the Great Sea. There’s nothing wrong with that, but the massive amount of spectacular Zelda titles that have been released since the late 1980s tend to suck the attention away from the NES classic. That’s why The Legend of Zelda deserves a spot at this table of overlooked masterpieces.

Gamers should pay more attention to the oldies. Okay, great, you want to play Ocarina of Time. But that does not mean that LoZ isn’t an amazing game. As time passes by, video games get better and better (they do not get worse like perishable food), and young gamers are more enticed by these new titles. Whatever happened to saving the best for last?

Enough rambling. LoZ is good enough to stand on its own two feet and make a name for itself (even in the highly developed video game industry of today). Ignore the outdated visuals, the clunky controls due to the awkward Classic controller and the player will find an adventure every bit as engrossing and endearing as the best games on the market today. After all, most 2D Zelda games are almost just copies of the original, plus a few new items and a shiny coat of gloss to make them look visually impressive.

Zelda games certainly lack a sense of overwhelming difficulty nowadays. That can be both a good thing and a bad thing. LoZ’s enemies were ridiculously powerful. This is made worse by the fact that Link is poorly equipped to go out into the overworld. Dungeons could be conquered in a span of 20 minutes, but the real challenge came in the form of enemies and bosses. If Link dies, he is brought right back to the same spawning point in the overworld every time. This can be infuriating, and add on top of that the fact that there is no in-game overworld map and that there are numerous dangers in the heavily populated overworld, and LoZ becomes one of the most frustrating Zelda games ever.

The above paragraph seems mostly negative, doesn’t it? Wrong! All Zelda games can be frustrating at times. Our love for the series is based on our hatred. Zelda is the franchise we love to hate. And if that’s truly the case, then LoZ is one of the greatest offenders. Spread the love and hang on everyone, because LoZ is one hell of a rollercoaster ride.

Cave Story

Cave.Story%252B.v1.0.cracked-THETA-www.intercambiosvirtuales.org-7-20111119.jpg

The PC classic of 2004 was the highest-rated game on MobyGames, a very peculiar aggregate review score site that has a strange arrangement of the top rated games. However, Cave Story does deserve one of the top spots. The game was eventually moved to Wii’s Virtual Console, which is where I stumbled across this lovable game.

To sum Cave Story up in a few words, it is pure platforming bliss. The weapon upgrades are fun, and I liked how when the player sustains a certain amount of damage, their weapons gets downgraded. The soundtrack is so ingenuous and nostalgic that part of me thinks that I’m playing some old 8-bit NES game. Gameplay is relatively simple, but Cave Story is no ordinary 2D shooter. Different weapons have different capabilities, and it’s up to the player to figure which weapons are best to use on which enemies.

CS is a well-paced title. There are small villages that serve as safe havens, and there are some more dangerous areas in the game. The player will oftentimes come across a power-up that cannot be accessed at the time (very much like Metroid). It’s almost as if the game’s developers are taunting you, but when you come back later in the game and find a way to access the item you so cherish, all you can do is smile.

The Wii release wasn’t really big news, but it remains the second highest-rated VC game behind World of Goo. Still, Cave Story doesn’t get enough recognition for its brilliance these days. Many do not even know of its existence, and I am disheartened at the thought of that. Any fans of platforming games should look into Cave Story because it is a must-have for any and all retro gamers.

So those are the three games that I think deserve much more attention. What games do you guys think you or the general public overlooked?

MW7

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island- I don't know about when it was released whether or not it was relatively ignored, but I do know that when most people mention the greatest Mario games that this game tends to be overlooked. This game was just pure fun, and is almost like a weird experiment within the Mario universe gone right. For this reason I'd say it's the Majora's Mask of the Mario series- pretty different but still incredibly fun.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon- This game came out just before Ocarina of Time, and honestly it was comparable in that it felt like a 3d Zelda game. The game plays like if Super Mario 64 and Zelda were combined into one strange 3d platformer/adventure game. The similarities to Zelda are endless: there are dungeons, you pick up items along the way, one of the items is a blatant rip-off of the hookshot, and your health meter even looks similar. The game had numerous quirks like having poorly translated Japanese humor everywhere, but overall it is the gem of my N64 collection.

LEGO games in general- You know how back on the N64 there were excellent collectathon games like Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64. Nowadays that genre seems to have disappeared mostly. Well I think that the Lego series of games is the spiritual successor of these games. The Lego games are more linear, but they do capture the same spirit of the you're not finished until you have 100% attitude.

That's all I have, I really don't play too many games that are obscure but really good. Oh wait what about Ocarina of Time... too soon, I guess we haven't overlooked that one yet.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link-Just because it's different doesn't mean it's worse. In fact, Zelda II is one of the freshest apprpaches any series has ever seen throughout videogame history. Familiar faces like Link, Zelda, Ganon, and Darknuts return but the famed action adventure franchise suddenly becomes an amazing RPG! Oh, and hte difficulty greatly increases the game's replay value and overall fun factor!

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island-Once again, just because it's different doesn't mean it's worse. A fresh approach for the franchise putting the spotlight on everyone's favorite green dinosaur.

Super Smash Bros.-Whereas Melee and Brawl are where it's at, the original Super Smash Bros. is still an achievement in its own right. Head to head with Goldeneye 007, this is the best multiplayer experience on N64. The character roster and features of this game may be slightly lacking but the balanced gameplay more than makes up for this.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask-Majora's Mask has a clear vision quite possibly more than any game before or after it. The game attempts to be dark and depressing and this feeling of despair never leaves the game. It's a shame therefore that the title under performed in terms of commercial success.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages:A lot of Zelda games on this list! For some reason, only the more traditional titles take the spotlight! here is another great example of innovation with a link feature revealing the true ending of the games.

Pikmin-One of the best looking games on Gamecube. True gamers, recognize this as one of Nintendo's best franchises but this beauty was overlooked by many gamers. And while you're at it, pick up the even better Pikmin 2.

Super Mario Sunshine-Mario cleaning up graffiti. Unusual, yes. Fun, yes. An unusual platformer but a unique one that shouldn't be hated for its break from tradition.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks-A more limited overworld doesn't make this a bad game. Excellent boss and dungeon design more than make up for this and this can rightfully claim to be Link's best portable adventure.

dazzsheil

All Hail Shadow
Final Fantasy II(Not FFIV,FFII For the Famicom)-Never heard too much about it,nor a re-make that it deserves unlike FFVII.
Super Smash Bros.-Probably in comparison to Brawl noone would think twice about picking brwal over this.
Smackdown VS RAW 2008 Featuring ECW-Everyone I know despises this game because of the storyline! A Wrestling game is n ot about a story,It's about the gameplay and this game was brilliant.
Metroid II:Return of Samus-BEST DAMN GAME EVER! I think the reason why this was overlooked is the same reason why people feel Link's awakening is underappriciated,t's between the two juggernauts of the series

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
250px-Yoshi's_Story.jpg

In this game Baby Koopa, jealous of the Yoshis' happiness, had cast a spell over the Yoshi Island so that it turned into a story book and stole their Super Happy Tree, which also permeated the island with a dismal atmosphere. However, six eggs survived the spell and hatched, and by instinct the Yoshis became aware of the danger. They set off to retrieve the Tree and restore their happiness.

Yoshi's Story has received heavy criticism for being extremely childish. Its levels are simple, which disappointed many people--fans and reviewers alike--since being a sequel to Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island, a game known for its variance in difficulty, it was expected to be much the same. Instead Nintendo released this side-scrolling story book--a visual volume that children could basically look at and interpret for themselves. You had to find and slurp up thirty fruits before you moved on. The overall colorful environment of each stage kept up a consistent juvenile feel as they saw it. This is an example of what it might look like, depending what level you were on:

YoshisStoryInline_1190158147.jpg

The music was also half-flavored to them, basically revolving around a single tune with multiple renditions to it. This tune was bouncy and very upbeat, oftentimes getting stuck in my head. Although the soundtrack consisted largely of this

[video=youtube;d2c1qLVb2JI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=d2c1qLVb2JI[/video]​

It still complemented the game very well, for me, since I had something great to listen to as I pushed on.

Lastly, the greatest part to me: the controls. Some had been taken from the SMW prequel, such as the Tongue Slurp, while others were introduced in Yoshi's Story. Think of the Ground Pound, my personal favorite in this dino's arsenal. Yoshi could jump in the air, "flutter" as he did, then turn around and bomb himself onto the stage. This made Shy Guys nearby change into the color of their favorite fruit and squashed other enemies in his path. But Egg Toss was the primary defense when it came to enemy-killing. Made it such a fun challenge to see if I could nail Shy Guys, especially the ones who taunted me by flying above with fruits.

Hope this encourages more people to try it out and/or enjoy it. :)

zellinkda

one of many
good idea for a thread:yes: anyway in my mind there's a lot. first things first, the entire series of Professor layton on DS and soon to be 3ds has been overlooked. I love it every time i play it. these games are full of puzzles, brainteasers, a magnificent storyline and more! if you don't know the order is ( note: these are US titles if you were wondering.) the first game is Professor layton and the curious village, Professor layton and the diabolical box, Professor layton and the Unwound future, (the lost future in the UK) Professor layton and the last specter (it might be spectre's call in the UK let me know if i'm wrong)

also, the oracle games. everyone i ask says they were good, and i SO want to play them. this is the 10th anneversary of them. did anyone else notice? i just don't want these games to drift away.................

the legend of zelda adventure of link. I guess people didn't like the difference about this game, but I do! that's really all i can say about it...........

the legend of zelda: Majora's mask. big time deserves attention. if they don't give this game attention by the 10th anniversary i will scream. I love this game and i don't get why so many people hate it.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Nice thread! However, I would say that a trademark of the Metroid series is UN-linearity. Sure, the main goal is the same and you have to get there, but you can get there in so many different ways.

The Mother series(Earthbound). So sad that the games did not sell well besides in Japan.

Nyan Cat

Nyan! Nyan!
Earthbound
Illusion of Gaia
Yoshi's Story
Zelda: Adventure of Link

I can try and bring up these games in a conversation and poeple have either never heard of them or they act like they are the worse games ever based on others veiws.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
One of the most overlooked games I have ever played is E.V.O The Search for Eden for the SNES. It was so overlooked that it sold few copies and now it is collector's item. The story behind the game is that you are a life-form that starts out as a fish. Your goal is to get to Eden. Along the way you gain EVO points and these are used to evolve certain parts of you body. There are thousands of combinations and many secret evolutions that are pretty hard to find the right combos for. You play through 5 worlds, at the beginning of each world you evolve into a whole new kind of creature. You start as a fish, then you evolve into an Amphibian/reptile and from there you can choose to become a mammal or a bird. This game is amazing and there is no other game like it. Unfortunately if you want a copy, you will probably have to pay at least $75, and that is on a good day. It is a well made game and worth your time.
588313_40197_front.jpg

Illusion of Gaia
Final Fantasy II (Famicom)
Final Fantasy V
LoZ: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Final Fantasy III (Famicom/DS)

That's all I got for now...

Secret of Mana for the Super Nintendo. It was made by the same developers as Final Fantasy and was quite an enjoyable game. The game let you play with two people. (there were three your party).
I would really suggest looking it up. I loved playing it a long time ago and there are times when I just want to go play the game nowadays even though I haven't played it in years. I think the game is considered rare? Not entirely sure on that though.

250px-Secret_of_Mana_Box.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom