• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games that you respect but don’t like playing.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Oh yeah, another one is the Mega Man series.

I get the appeal, I think the games that I’ve played are all very well designed for the most part, but they all merge together into one whenever I play them (eight of the twelve games in the classic series all have the exact same artstyle so can you really blame me?). To be fair, it might just be because classic and X are the only two series that I’ve played any amount of, and I do want to try some of the other games eventually, but as is I can’t say I particularly care for the franchise when up to this point they’ve all felt so similar to me.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Hades, though I'll absolutely admit I didn't give it as much of a chance as I should've, but clearly a lot of people see something in it that I didn't

Last edited:
Deckbuilding video games kind of turn me off from playing them. I don't mind deckbuilding but... not really in a video game. I know there are a lot of really cool games out there that utilize this but I just don't feel as interested knowing that's how the combat plays out.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
3D Mario games. I did a playthrough of 64 last year and it was ok, and I've watched my brother dabble in Galaxy and play some Sunshine, and while the levels themself seem fun, it's the need to revisit each one a couple of times in order to finish the game that turns me off. Especially when you have one spot you struggle with a lot and have to work your way back there every. dang. time. Same reason I dropped New Pokemon Snap.

MightyMario

The Vengeful Warrior | Drawn by Uwu_Oocoo2
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, the humor and music are great but the game I find myself getting bored with after a while.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The first game that came to mind was Transistor. I tried it out and got it when it was on a really good sale, and I just could not like the combat gameplay at all. It was immensely unfun. The art and music were beautiful, though, and it seemed to be weaving a pretty good story. But I could only get four hours in before I had enough and had to quit. Haven't touched it since. I'm sure for the people that could get through the gameplay, it was a great game. I did hear a lot of good things about it. I just couldn't stomach the gameplay at all.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Final Fantasy 13. I respect and enjoy the aesthetic, music, characters and story. I hate playing it though. I found combat to be thoroughly unpleasant and there is definitely a lot of combat to be done! I like real time combat rather than the turn based style so I had to really suffer through the gameplay to get the story.
This was me with ff7, I really liked the story they had going but i just couldn't really get into the turnbased combat. Although I will say it's got a much better combat system than pokemon, which is one of the only other turnbased games I've played. Playing paper mario and I like what they did, where the turnbased still relies on timed inputs and such, keeps it from being too boring

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This was me with ff7, I really liked the story they had going but i just couldn't really get into the turnbased combat. Although I will say it's got a much better combat system than pokemon, which is one of the only other turnbased games I've played. Playing paper mario and I like what they did, where the turnbased still relies on timed inputs and such, keeps it from being too boring

That's why I never played the original FF7, whilst I liked the sound of the characters and lore and enjoyed spinoffs such as Advent Children I knew the gameplay would be a huge pain for me. When I heard a remake was on the way I was excited to finally get to experience the story in a way I would find pleasant.

Turns out I love the FF7 remake. It's one of the best times I have had with a game.

The standard Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. The bog-standard turn-based combat really doesn't appeal to me.
Turn-based combat's gotta have some sort of fun but also useful gimmick to it to make it interesting for me (Wild Arms' force system, Golden Sun's weapon unleashes and djinni system, Legend of Legaia's arts system, etc). I suppose that's how I got as far into DQVIII as I did-- the tension gimmick was a nice little breath of fresh air for a while... until the game really started to get grindy.

Having said all of that, I absolutely understand why both series are as popular as they are today-- a lot of love and care is (generally) put into them; their worlds, characters, music (I have played so much Theatrhythm on my OG 3DS that the touch screen broke), and stories are all phenomenal, and the gameplay still appeals to a lot of people. It's just not my cup o' tea.

NastyLesley

Goth catboy thingy
Despite it being considered by many to be the peak of one of my very favorite franchises, I have a hard time playing Super Metroid.
Now this definitely isn't because it's a bad game by any means, it gets so many things right but after playing Fusion, Zero Mission and Samus Returns I cannot for the life of me go back to it. Much of it comes down to how movement feels, the jumps are too slow and floaty for my taste and the lack of a ledge grabbing mechanic feels very wrong. The music and sound design are great, the level design is fantastic and the graphics are spectacular but it doesn't feel very good to actually control Samus for me, at least by comparison.

I'll add Minecraft to my previous post in this thread. I think it's had a massive impact on the gaming industry moving towards more player created content, and I don't think we would have the Super Mario Maker games, some of my favorite games ever, without it, but I always disliked its aesthetic. I know that's such a superficial reason, but it's a turn-off for me. Maybe I'll try it and see if the gameplay delivers one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom