• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games that you respect but don’t like playing.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
When I say this, I don’t mean it in a “if you like that sort of thing” way. I mean it in a “I fully understand why this game is a masterpiece, but I don’t personally care for it” way.

Undertale is a pretty obvious one personally. I get why it has such a massive fanbase, and can even share some of the same emotions towards it as so many others have, but every time I sit down to try and finish even a neutral route play through I just can’t enjoy myself. It’s a brilliant game with one of the most beautiful soundtracks I’ve ever heard, but I can’t get into it.

I could probably think of a few more, but I don’t feel like it right now, so are there any games that you feel this way towards?

Pretty much any Metroidvania for me. I understand that people love the thrill of battling hard bosses and returning to previous areas with new unlocks, but it's a frustrating experience for me.

Old school Fire Emblem also falls into this category for me. Permadeath is a cool idea, but I stress out over it. Having mechanics like Mila's Turnwheel is a good sweet spot for someone like me who wants leeway to make a mistake without being completely carefree.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I've kinda come to realize that I feel the same about Metroidvanias. For me, the problem comes in with how aimless the ones I've played tend to feel. Being given the freedom to explore is fine, but when there is a goal and I'm given next to nothing to know what I need to do next, that's endlessly frustrating.

Also Super Mario Bros. 3. A more specific example, but I just don't enjoy it that much. It's good, but I'd always rather be playing World, Yoshi's Island, or basically any other 2D platformer given the choice. Hell, I'd rather play the original SMB before 3.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
the super mario galaxy games are the first that come to mind. I totally get why people love them, and I think they’re graphically beautiful games. but I’m not at all a fan of the camera angles when playing.

I also really hate to say it, but… skyrim. I wanted to love that game so much. I was so excited when I finally got it. but I just… couldn’t get into it. was so disappointed when I had been looking forward to playing it for like, years. totally get why people obsessed over it, though. maybe I’ll even try to get into it again one day.

ALSO
I have the highest respect for any horror/survival games, such as resident evil, outlast, anything like that. I absolutely love watching gameplays of games like that, it’s one of my favorite things to do and I do it almost daily actually. but they are NOT for me to play. I’m way too anxious for that hahah

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I don't really like turn based combat all that much. A lot of RPGs use it and I find it repetitive and kind of boring at times.

I'm more into actually fighting with controls like in Ori, Splatoon, or Zelda.

An exception for me would be pokemon, but I take breaks between playing because eventually I get a bit bored with all the battles. Pokemon Let's Go Eevee has been better because you don't have to battle every pokemon you want to catch, but that's like an exception for Pokemon games lol

Still love pokemon though, mostly for all the cool pokemon and completing the pokedex (my completionist self loves filling it up lol)
but the gameplay can get tiring at times for me.

I haven't bought a lot of games with turn-based combat, but that's because whenever I do buy games it's because I look into them and make sure I'm actually going to enjoy them. And turn based combat kinda makes me not want to play those games lol

Still, fully respect those types of games though, and I understand a lot of thought goes into making the battle systems and different types of moves and levelling them up and stuff. It's just not really my thing

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Shadow of the Colossus is a big one for me. It's one of the earliest "openworld" design concepts that come to mind and the notion of scaling giant titans has always been intriguing. Albeit musically sparse, the soundtrack is often regarded as iconic with its epic, sweeping orchestral soundscapes. Nevertheless, for all of its majesty and glamor, the actual gameplay is a mess. For starters, the player is limited by a stamina gauge that runs out way too fast, making ascending the Colossi a colossal chore. Controller input either results in delayed responses, often when timing is crucial to make a leap/avoid taking damage, or janky instances of the protag flying into the air instead of connecting with a handhold. This game is meant to be engaging but is technically unsound and feels more like a tech demo most of the time.

It's worth noting that I played through the 2018 remake, which the developers said they strove to emulate the original as closely as possible. Instead, this could have been the perfect opportunity to hammer out the imperfections and improve the overall experience. While it's important to respect the work of the original, it's also important to respect modern tendencies, and this just wasn't it, chief.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I feel this about every pokemon game. I totally understand why people love them. I understand why they're so popular but I can't get into it. I tried so often but it's not my thing. But I respect them though

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
It's probably the Mario games for me (with the exception of Mario Galaxy). The Mario series is kinda one of the staples of video games, and they're well built so you can just play them and have fun. That's super cool. But platformers just really aren't my thing, so I tend to get bored or frustrated partway through any game. I wish I could play them through, though.
Another one is the Fnaf games. Granted, I have never played them. But I've tried watching videos about the series because the lore is just really, really cool but it freaks me out too much. I get spooked lol.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Well, here's my take.

If I respect a game, that means I generally liked it and thought it was fun. I'm not one to say in one breath that a game is a masterpiece, then in the next breath say why I didn't like it and everything wrong with it.

Nothing said before the word "but" means anything. If I say, "This game is a masterpiece deserving of praise, but...." then what I'm really saying is that I don't think that game is a masterpiece or as deserving of the praise lavished on it.

If it didn't appeal to me, it didn't appeal to me, simple as that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Final Fantasy 13. I respect and enjoy the aesthetic, music, characters and story. I hate playing it though. I found combat to be thoroughly unpleasant and there is definitely a lot of combat to be done! I like real time combat rather than the turn based style so I had to really suffer through the gameplay to get the story.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Well, here's my take.

If I respect a game, that means I generally liked it and thought it was fun. I'm not one to say in one breath that a game is a masterpiece, then in the next breath say why I didn't like it and everything wrong with it.

Nothing said before the word "but" means anything. If I say, "This game is a masterpiece deserving of praise, but...." then what I'm really saying is that I don't think that game is a masterpiece or as deserving of the praise lavished on it.

If it didn't appeal to me, it didn't appeal to me, simple as that.
You know it’s possible to understand why people like something without liking it yourself, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom