• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games that were too long

Have you ever played a game that went on for far too long?

Regardless if you enjoyed it or not did you start to feel a fatigue or negative impact on the pacing?

Which games spring to mind that were far too long?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Most games I've played aren't long enough.

If a game feels too long it's because it's stuffed full of padding and tedious or repetitive monotony.

Case in point, Red Dead Redemption 2, Breath of the Wild. There is just no more potential for these games to fulfill after their first few hours. It feels like you've already seen and done it all by then. There is no more compulsion or desire to play any longer than that. Nothing new will happen. The story won't go anywhere interesting. There won't even be anything more to look at. The game could conceivably end at any time and I wouldn't miss it.

But it usually ends with me putting down the controller and losing all interest.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Dragon Quest 7
honestly, I think I had my fill of the game at around 40 hours, but that's like only half way through, hell you don't even meet the last party member until around 60 or 65 hours in
and once you do actually beat the main antagonist, the game STILL keeps going, so even though I wasn't fully finished w/ the game I was like "eh....nah I think I'm good", though that's mostly b/c I got stuck somewhere, I probably could've kept going otherwise but I was getting a bit fatigued so I just decided to put it down

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Definitely agree with Dragon Quest 7. It's got cool mechanics, and I love job systems, but man, some parts of the game are just needlessly tedious and it drags for no reason at all. It's based around finding different tablets and completing tasks in said tablets, but some of those just feel so disjointed and pointless to the main plot of the game. The game could use a good trimming of fat, and it makes the idea of additional playthroughs such a turnoff.

Another game that immediately comes to mind is Mario and Luigi Dream Team. The game could have gone on for like, 15-20ish hours, and we'd have another fun game in the Mario and Luigi series, but it goes on for about twice that length and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. What could have been a fun game, turned itself rather bland.

To me a game that is too long is if the game stops being fun in your attempt to finish it.
Breath of the Wild as an example is not too long in my opinion. Sure I'm 300 hours in and havenot yet finished it. So what? Every minute of that was extremely fun. Not for a second did I want to just quickly finish it so I could end the game and never play it again.
Games become too long when they outstay their welcome and the fun is lost.

I think the Wind Waker is too long actually. That triforce quest padding honestly was not fun. After spending the whole game fishing up crap from the ocean, what? I have to fish up more crap from the ocean? And farm a ton of rupees to buy the fishing spot maps? Not fun at all.

Diablo 3 pre first expansion was way too long also. Having to beat the game 3-4 times before you were at the end game was just not fun at all. Especially when you had to do it for multiple characters to have them all at the end game. The expansion and adventure mode totally fixed the issue but for a time it was a serious issue within the game.

I also think Hyrule Warriors is too long. Nothing to do with the amount of content. The issue is the need to grind for ages to get a high enough level and good enough weapon with each character to do most of the content there. Because the badge system is broken, levels are required, lots of them so lots of grinding. At least in the Switch version, the heart piece issue was fixed so that's at least some comfort. Remove some of the boring grinding and the game would be shorter and more fun.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This is a very difficult question. How do we measure the length of a game? Is it how fast it takes the average player to get the credits to roll? But what about games that have lots of optional content, should that not count as length and therefore make a games length to mean how long it takes to 100% complete? What if a player never 100% completes a game, how can they know the true length and be qualified to answer such a question?

The Witcher 3 is a game which I consider to be the most perfect game that has been made and that has in my humble opinion a perfect length. But I don't base this opinion on it including the length of over 100 hours of playing a card game and collecting the cards cards on top of the 100 hours of story content. I just base it on the story content and exploration I experienced during my playthrough. As the Gwent card game is optional and I chose not to do any of it its inclusion does not affect me and therefore I don't think of The Witcher as being too long a game. But if I were to include the fact that there was 100 hours more content to do I would have to say it was too long.

There is also the problem that a game could be both too long and too short at the same time. The wind waker for instance has too little mandatory content and also too much at the same time, for its length is increased by the inclusion of a particular Triforce hunt which makes the game not fun to play for a significant amount of time but as it stands the game as a whole takes too little time to complete to feel as fulfilling and complete as it could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom