• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games That Passed Your Expectations

Sola To Robo: Red The Hunter
I just picked the game up thinking "Hey it comes with the sound track and its a pretty good price might as well", Little did I know it was amazing, Then I beat and I got kind of sad it was over but then......the title screen movie changed and it ended up being two games in one!.

Salem

SICK
Sola To Robo: Red The Hunter
I just picked the game up thinking "Hey it comes with the sound track and its a pretty good price might as well", Little did I know it was amazing, Then I beat and I got kind of sad it was over but then......the title screen movie changed and it ended up being two games in one!.
Nice, that's probably the most obscure game that got mentioned in this thread. Impulse buying, huh?

Nice, that's probably the most obscure game that got mentioned in this thread. Impulse buying, huh?
that's pretty much the only time ive ever bought something on impulse XD usually it takes me 10 minutes just to narrow it down to 3 games :3
(Achievement get!: Most obscure game yet!)

I did impulse buying myself with Banjo Kazooie when I was younger actually. No one knew what it was at the time, no one talked about it, and yet I was the only one to get it among my family, friends, and peers. I didn't know what I was getting myself into to be honest. The game was overshadowed by triple A, first party titles. But lo and behold, it was perhaps one of the most innovative games I have ever played, with a goofy set of characters and a hilarious story line, along with great humor, an amazing soundtrack, and beautiful environments. Definitely a precious gem. 10/10 for me.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Oh, and as for the knifing, that's all I did in Revelations. It required NO skill at all but to run around the enemy in circles and just repeatedly knife. Half the time I didn't even use my ammo unless if I wanted to stun the enemies to make knifing ten times easier.

You must play on Casual, then. Try that **** in Hell mode, and you'll find yourself to be an Ooze feasting ground.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A king
Despite the time, money, and mana factors I liked making a section for to the left all the shops in front of my castle the light mage academy to the right it was more fun then I expected.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You must play on Casual, then. Try that **** in Hell mode, and you'll find yourself to be an Ooze feasting ground.

Even on Hell the game is easily exploited using the knife and mashing up/down to dodge. Several guides show how to properly do these things ;p

Goddamn, I'm done. Screw it, there's no point in arguing with someone who clearly doesn't know what the hell they are saying. Reading opposite facts and dumb logic to defend a game that clearly wanted to attract a casual audience is just not worth my time. Come back when you show me all these people standing behind you that agree that RE4 was the greatest survival horror game created.

Eh, at the end of the day, it's opinions. Don't get so hung up on it and take it too seriously. Obviously people feel differently about each game, so that gives me a right to defend something I personally think was pretty good, just like how you defended something that I'm not too fond of. Neither of us are wrong OR right, and it's not like I'm someone that "clearly doesn't know what the hell" I'm saying. It's all opinions, not necessary facts and "dumb logic," so basically calling out someone for being stupid just cause they don't see your point of view the right way is pretty rash. Different people have different tastes and personal favorites in a series. I myself have been a fan since the Playstation games, but I like some games more than others, and I'm obviously not a big fan of the last few, including Revelations. BUT HEY, my opinion. You don't have to like it, but at least realize that people DO like different games. Not everyone has your taste.

And as for coming back to you, I don't need to. Google it. You'll see mixed reactions every now and then from people obviously, but people generally like it and rate it pretty high up there. Fanboys or not, they just actually enjoyed it for what the game actually was, and don't really make too many complaints about it. Maybe you're the one that actually has a deep passion for the series and actually have personal reasons against that game. I can respect that. Hate or love whatever game you want, and think whatever game you think is more superior. Just expect that people won't agree with everything you say, like me. Especially when you keep saying "wrong" or "fail" all the time, basically not respecting whatever anyone is saying and saying "bs," and basically giving off the feeling that whatever you say is completely right, then you're just basically triggering (and/or begging) for an endless debate that's really just based off opinions. ;)

Even on Hell the game is easily exploited using the knife and mashing up/down to dodge. Several guides show how to properly do these things ;p

Exactly what I did. The dodging mechanics made the game fairly easy. Glad to know someone knew what I did ^^

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Eh, at the end of the day, it's opinions. Don't get so hung up on it and take it too seriously. Obviously people feel differently about each game, so that gives me a right to defend something I personally think was pretty good, just like how you defended something that I'm not too fond of. Neither of us are wrong OR right, and it's not like I'm someone that "clearly doesn't know what the hell" I'm saying. It's all opinions, not necessary facts and "dumb logic," so basically calling out someone for being stupid just cause they don't see your point of view the right way is pretty rash. Different people have different tastes and personal favorites in a series. I myself have been a fan since the Playstation games, but I like some games more than others, and I'm obviously not a big fan of the last few, including Revelations. BUT HEY, my opinion. You don't have to like it, but at least realize that people DO like different games. Not everyone has your taste.

And as for coming back to you, I don't need to. Google it. You'll see mixed reactions every now and then from people obviously, but people generally like it and rate it pretty high up there. Fanboys or not, they just actually enjoyed it for what the game actually was, and don't really make too many complaints about it. Maybe you're the one that actually has a deep passion for the series and actually have personal reasons against that game. I can respect that. Hate or love whatever game you want, and think whatever game you think is more superior. Just expect that people won't agree with everything you say, like me. Especially when you keep saying "wrong" or "fail" all the time, basically not respecting whatever anyone is saying and saying "bs," and basically giving off the feeling that whatever you say is completely right, then you're just basically triggering (and/or begging) for an endless debate that's really just based off opinions. ;)

You still don't get it, do you? It's not about personal opinions, which at the moment, your opinions have been really invalid. It's not about being a fan or liking the game, it's about simple facts. You only got defensive because you think I'm trashing RE4, a game that I like as much as the next guy. I understand it was revolutionary, I know it's critically acclaimed, and yes, I do think it is one of the greatest games of all time. But I'm not gonna just sit here and lie about the game. The game is not loved because it improved survival horror, its despised for killing it. Sure, Resident Evil 4 had its moments, but I was kicking and supplexing bad guys the majority of the time. As a video game, I prefer RE4 over Revelations, because it was an all around better game. Revelations tried going back to the series' roots, which is very apparent due to many factors, but doesn't exceed in doing so. The elements are there, but are dumb down. RE4 clearly went away from the series' roots to attract a wider audience in an attempt to save a dying franchise. It wasn't trying to be like the older games, unlike Revelations.

Haha, Google? I'm not the one who's trying to prove a false point... You seem to think that because the series reached a high point with RE4 that it somehow the best survival horror game out there or even tries to be like the older games. No one thinks that. It's an amazing game, people know this, and they also know that the game killed a genre. There was no downhill spiral after RE4. RE5 is just as good of a game as RE4, because it's good at what it does. They play like Resident Evil games, and still carry over elements from series past, just poorer than Revelations did. That doesn't take away from the enjoyment one gets from the newer games. Resident Evil 4/5/6 are great games, some more than others, but are terrible Resi games due to the lack of survival horror which the series seems to try and trick everyone that it still is. Revelations had a similar design to the original games, it had a slower pacing and even tried making you vulnerable in certain moments. It wasn't a complete success at bringing back the glory of the original games, but more so than anything else in the past 8 years. I don't care if it plays like "RE4" a game with the same control scheme as REmake plus free-aim, but it's a clear throwback to the original games. Just because it's modernized and dumb down for today's market, doesn't make it a RE4 throwback. Not once did I see Jill dodging lasers, fighting giants with a knife, or hand to handing superhumans.

Last edited:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Spirit Tracks. I'd heard some pretty unkind things about the game, which made me reluctant to play it. I eventually borrowed my friend's DS and his copy of the game, though, and... wow. It was ****ing awesome! Extremely superb level design, great boss battles, and top-notch music made me fall in love with it.

I guess you could say KOTOR surpassed my expectations, as well. The intro portion was absolutely terrible, so it didn't exactly give me a good first impression, but once it got going, holy balls, did it get going. Superb in every conceivable fashion.
I think Kotor surpassed the expectations of any one playing the game, even more so if you didn't read reviews about it or have the ending spoiled ahead of time.

Recent games that Surpassed my expectations? Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed, I played it at the store on the demo wii u's and no big deal, recently got it on steam with a Sonic games bundle. I didn't really get the feel for the game playing the demo on the U-pad, I kinda just had the feeling of oh its really just another cart racer wannabe. But when I got it on the bundle and played it in HD on my PC, that game just goes beyond what you'd expect form a cart racer, requiring real skill and mastery of the controls, maps and different handle-ings of characters. And even better then mario kart by leaps and bounds if you want to enjoy it for any length of time.

Mario kart is good for a quick pick up experiance requiring no skill, infact the game rewards you for sucking and punishes you for doing well, what with death from above blue shells, as if they weren't good enough when they were homing in on the 1st place player, now they simply attack you from the sky with no counter play. Red shells that now follow you over ramps and mid air, (old mario karts you could loose them by timed jumps, or even large jumps they couldn't follow over, nope now they just straight up go for you and never say never unless you happen to have something to block them with. The items in mario kart are quite simiply over powered and too frequent, and unduely punishing to any one in the lead.

Sega All Stars Transformed on the other hand, the items are significantly less potent, but not to the point of being useless, and even the items are built around having some skill in using them, such as you can block other items, and aiming them. This game understands items pretty well, perhaps not perfect, but very seldom does it feel like you're just simply punished for doing well, almost all the time its something you could have prevented or done better. This game is about rewarding you for mastery of the mechanics of the game. Though the game does seam to have less of the party style game play, so both games kinda aim at different players, though its difficult to see that when all you can really see on the surface is a kart racing game with wacky craziness in both games.

Did I mention just how good this game looks in HD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom