• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games that has better dungeons than Zelda?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
For many people, one of the biggest things about the appeal of Zelda is it's dungeons. Many hardcore Zelda fans holds the series' dungeons as the best the industry can offer.

Do you think, however, that there are games out there that does the concept of a dungeon (The term can be used loosely here - but large, puzzle-filled complexes with combat challenges and maybe a boss is what comes to mind for me.) better than Zelda?

For example, I personally find Pitioss Ruins in Final Fantasy XV a better dungeon than 90% of all Zelda dungeons. It's a large temple with perilous spikes and nasty traps and challenges that is seething with atmosphere, has great puzzles and has some of the most brilliant level designs I've seen in years. If BotW2 has dungeons that good, I'd be very happy.

Zelda is the only series I play that has dungeons, I guess Pokemon and Tales games have dungeons but they're RPGs and their field traversal and puzzles are always secondary, whereas with Zelda it's primary and thus better designed.

I played Skyrim for a while and came across a dungeon where you had to use a speed spell to avoid spikes but it didn't thrill me. Skyrim as a whole felt dull and generic to me.

So I guess no, Zelda is the only dungeon based series I play so I haven't seen dungeons done any better outside of it.

But I don't like dungeons in Zelda anyway so I'm not the right person to ask about what makes a good one.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Pandora's Tower, don't recall if the dungeons are better than zelda's per se but they're definitely on par, it's like 90% of the game too so there had to be some pretty dang good ones, it's been a while since I last played it so I'd love to revisit it

on the flip side, Mega Man Legends most certainly does NOT have better dungeons, in both games, those ruins all have the same looking interior so there's extremely little that distinguishes one room from the other, and there isn't any music for them in the first Legends game until the last dungeon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom