• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gameplay or Cinematics

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
What would you prefer more gameplay: bigger overworld, more dungeons, and sidequest, or more cinematics: voice acting and cut-scenes? In Super Mario Galaxy 2 it looks like all the story is being cut out. In Metroid: Other M they are going to have a lot of story and cut-scenes, a good amount of voice acting. Context is important in Zelda, but would you really sacrifice, say, having a big and challenging final dungeon for voice acting? Now, if they can fit all 3 Metroid Prime games there is room for both...but more of one means less of the other.

You have to sacrifice some of one for the other--so there is no middle ground choice here, even though there will certainly be a balance of both in some way.

EDIT: I wanted to make this a poll...but the feature is not working for me...so pick:

Gamplay or Cinematics?

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
I don't think it would be a problem for Nintendo to have a lot of both. But in these days, I think gameplay matter more than cinematics.

Yeah, use your imagination lol.
Amazing gameplay is the reason you're playing a "game"
If you want cinematics go watch a movie!
Unfortunately there is no zelda movie. But if there was. That'd be awesome! Then we could have the best of both worlds.

But ya, gameplay is the most important part of a game. Period.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I hate it when games have long cinematics. It just replaces the playing time. However, I do feel that it should have some - like in key parts of the game, but not 'Oh, let's just throw in this random scene here'. I found there was too much in the way of cinematics in TP, so I would like to see a little less this time around.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I prefer to have more gameplay than I would cinematics. I mean, yes, I'd like to have some cinematics in Zelda Wii, but I don't want it to feel like I'm watching a movie instead of playing a video game if they were to have more scenes than I could handle. More gameplay is what I'd like to have in Zelda Wii.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I would always choose more gameplay over more cinematics. The point of playing games (for me, anyway) is to actually play them- not spend that majority of the time watching them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want more cinematics, though. I think Zelda would do well if more cutscenes were added. I really like cutscenes. A lot. But I wouldn't want more of those over gameplay- no way.

I'd like to bring up FFXIII for a moment. Final Fantasy games have always had nice cutscenes, but FF13.... I dunno. I didn't like them. They weren't too long, but they were still long enough to be annoying when there are so many of them. And then there are games like, say Resident Evil 5, where there are plenty of short, interesting cutscenes, but hardly ANY of them revealed past information about the series. In order for a newcomer to RE to understand anything about the history, they'd have to check the library. I think if that were to happen with Zelda (say, info on the Hero of Time's quest), I'd be a little annoyed. I think cutscenes and cinematics should be nice and precise- not too long, not too short, and above all interesting.

Still, gameplay will always be more important to me. I can live without cinematics, but I cannot live without gameplay. However, if the gameplay is going to be tedious and boring, pfft, go with cinematics. I only want longer gameplay if it's going to be fun and interesting. I want more fun sidequests, some challenging and/or mind-twisting puzzles and dungeons, and just longer gameplay period.

A

Almo SSBB

gameplay of course, just keep it the way it has been for years, lots of gameplay and some interesting cutscenes that have to do with the story.

DayDreamer

Wahoo!
Im going with gameplay. Thats what I play the game for so its most important to me. Thats also something sega should realize -_- there cinematics are always perfect but it seems they focus to much on it wothout giving good gameplay in a game. Thats a prime example on why I chose gameplay over cinematics.

L

leftyrock91

Gameplay hands down. Sure i like a good story, but without gameplay the game is just dead to me.

Hero Of Spirits

Champion of Cyrodiil
I think in my honest opinion, Gameplay & Cinematics are equally important. I know, without gameplay, there is no 'game'. But without cinematics, they can make the game feel a bit more, what's the word? Ummm, lifelike. Yeah, that'll do. And what someone else said, don't make like a movie & go on for ages. That's just wasting the disc space. I tend to pay heaps of attention to the movies, in case I miss something important. You wouldn't want that to happen, right? Gameplay is what makes a game unique, but add some movies to make it MORE unique, but not TOO many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom