• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gameplay Commentating

I recently bought a capture card in the hopes of recording some gameplay footage. I wanted to do a complete walkthrough/guide series on one of the zelda games. The problem i have is that ,many poeple have already done this . The most notable example of this being the guides on ZD. what im basically saying is, if i make gameplay footage videos will people be interested in watching them and will they participate by playing along with me. Should i wait for new game to come out before i start making videos or should i continue doing what im doing.

Dan

You should do it anyway. Do what you enjoy and have one with it. Make yours unique from others give it character. In time others will follow your let's play.You can then walk away feeling good you helped others out :D

I have to agree with Dan on this one. I started doing let's plays in January and even though not a whole lot of people watch I just get a good feeling by making them. Mine aren't the most original, but I do games I like and try to add my own little twists to make them fun and unique to me. Like right now I'm doing Paper Mario, Megaman X Collection, and I'm starting up a Skyward Sword one that people on this site have been kind enough to create some artwork for to make it really special. Anyway, this has been my long drawn out way of saying that if you think you'll have fun doing it then go for it bud! :)

I think you should still go for it. Sure it can be discouraging that so many other have done it, but their are still plenty of oppurtunities to make yours unique. If you think you would enjoy it than pursue it. I'm sure at least a few people with watch and enjoy it, and even if they don't you should do it anyways. Always try new things.

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
Sometimes having a small fanbase is better than having a huge following. Easier to please and you connect better with them. I think you should do whatever game you want because there is bound to be someone who wants to see it and you offer the commentary style they search for.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
Well ZeldaDungeons are the best for all the right reasons but I say go for it. I got one of those things that converts old tapes to DVD's (although I put it on iMovie) and it also works on recording game footage. Back in 2009 I did an Ocarina of Time Walkthrough (which sucked, it was recorded with a flip camera) and recently I did one on Sonic Adventure (it's okay..I rushed it and recorded a 4:3 game on 16:9..big mistake, but I did do a content bar like ZD and I plan to continue that routine). I plan on doing Sonic Adventure 2 in the future (I will take my time on it, make better commentary, and record it in 4:3 like it was meant to be so it won't be distorted). My friend suggested that I do the Back to the Future game but that's not confirmed, after that I have no idea if I will continue.
Anyways that's my story, here's my channel: ToNotification - YouTube

Just add some really nice commentary to it, I say go for it! I'm sure you'll do great, and perhaps people will like yours better if the way you conduct yourself throghout the video is more personable and charismatic.

You should do what YOU want to do. If you have good commentary, people will watch regardless of whether or not they've watched 10 other people play the same game.

thanks you everyone for your advice. im going to continue making video and viewership seems to have picked up so i guess i must be doing something right.

Even though other people have done it, I still think you should give it a shoot.
I'll be honest that I could be looking for a video walkthrough and if the person is just annoying I don't watch it anymore.
So people will still be watching your videos as long as you give them well enough commentary no matter how many other walkthroughs there are of that game.
Good Luck with all of that by the way!

The most important things are to be original, make videos YOU would want to watch, don't smack your mouth around when you commentate, and be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom