• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Gamepad worries

No Wii U title has really managed to use the gamepad to the extent that Nintendo had intended it to be used, in fact they themselves seem a bit pushed for ideas on how to implement it fully in their own releases...

However, Zelda U is (hopefully) being made with the Wii U in mind so, like Skyward Sword, I'm imagining that Zelda U will make a fair bit of use of the gamepad.

The Game Awards video didnt show us much other than a map and some gyro controls but having been playing PH&ST again recently (i dont know why) and reminding myself on just how much those two games really made everything about the DS's touchscreen i began to worry about Zelda U and the gamepad a little.

I can't imagine a worst case scenario but i do hope that there arent any forced puzzles that are in there just to use the gamepad's features. For example, i hope there's no circuitry in a dungeon that needs fixed by popping out the gamepad's stylus and tracing a line on the gamepad's screen.

I hope there's no gamepad shaped item (gamepad of truth?) that Link needs to pull out and look around with and turn on its side to match up shapes on walls for other puzzles.

Potential puzzles like that are starting to concern me.

Do you have any gamepad worries for Zelda U in the way of forced implementation that you dont want to see?

Actually, I think Wind Waker made great use of the touch pad for inventory interaction, it was really nice not to have to stop what i was doing or pause the game to switch weapons or items, especially while sailing.

Also this isn't so much a game pad worry as a control scheme worry, but I really hope they don't do the bow and arrow like WWHD. That was really awkward, having to aim and fire with the same hand.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I actually thought PH's (or ST's?) little "Close the DS to copy this mark onto your map" 'puzzle' was really clever and enjoyable. I had exactly that "aha!" satisfaction that the developers want us to have when we solve puzzles. At the moment I can't even think of any puzzles in the series that were obviously just exercising the controls without being able to stand up on their own.

My concern with the GamePad is that it'll be underutilized like it is in HW and many other games where you can't use the touch screen to navigate menus. They have the buttons right there but when you touch them nothing happens. HW has the best item switching in the series (single-paradigm touch-drag-release, an improvement over SS's dual-paradigm press button-move cursor-release button), though for some reason they disabled it in 2-player mode.

...now I want to play Rollgoal on the GamePad.

Reactions: Dan

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I really dont know what nintendo was thinking with the gamepad. It has so few uses in the games they make. As for zelda. I think minigames like rollgoal could work in addition to a complex inventory. The gamepad shouldnt be interupting the free exploration of the open world by making me look at it. You could say the game and console arr at odds. Still with some smart and subtle applications it could be a memorable part of the game

Dan

If we actually recieve a main series installment then I do hope Nintendo use the gamepad to augment puzzles akin to the handheld Zelda's. Although I do hope the gamepad doesn't become too intrusive in gameplay to the point where it becomes a pain rather than a joy. The gamepad should be more than an inventory.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I'm cool with just having the option to play solely on the pad. I don't even hook my Wii u up to my TV. But when I do I loved playing on the TV and having my inventory/map at the touch and not having to pause to do all that. So I'm hoping for no ingame use of the gamepad outside of that. I mean really that was my only expectation from the gamepad, and so far I have been very pleased.

Also this isn't so much a game pad worry as a control scheme worry, but I really hope they don't do the bow and arrow like WWHD. That was really awkward, having to aim and fire with the same hand.

Yeah, I had to put the Bow on the R button for that reason. I really prefer to use the R button for potions and things like that, but it was impossible to draw an arrow and aim at the same time if the Bow was asigned to X or Y. Cost me a fairy or two when I accidentally used it instead of the item I intended to use.

Yeah, I had to put the Bow on the R button for that reason. I really prefer to use the R button for potions and things like that, but it was impossible to draw an arrow and aim at the same time if the Bow was asigned to X or Y. Cost me a fairy or two when I accidentally used it instead of the item I intended to use.
The problem is that most people don't know how to archery. You can't strafe with a bow, but too many people complain that it's not working like CoD. I think it worked great in earlier versions, I hated the WWHD method, even with the Bow assigned to R.

No Wii U title has really managed to use the gamepad to the extent that Nintendo had intended it to be used
  • Nintendo Land says hello.
  • Captain Toad says hello.
  • Splatoon says hello.
  • Starfox Zero says hello.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X says hello.
  • Zombie U says hello.
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush says hello.
  • Off TV play says hello.
All used the gamepad pretty well.
Do you have any gamepad worries for Zelda U in the way of forced implementation that you dont want to see?
No. I think the gamepad will be used well for Zelda U. And in a more minimalistic way. Possibly more of the gyro than the screen. But I can also see the game having a pro controller only mode too. Best of both worlds.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
if they can utilize the Gamepad as well for Zelda U as they did for ZombiU then i would happy with it. i haven't played a game that has utilized the Gamepad that well in a while. but if it's any less i will be a little bummed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom