• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Gamefaqs Game of the Decade: Majora's Mask

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
Over at Gamefaqs, a website offering walkthroughs, FAQs, and other things on pretty much any video game can think of had a long polling over the "Game of the Decade". After the final poll was counted, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was proclaimed Game of the Decade.

So what you guys think about this? Do you agree or disagree?
A penny for your thoughts.

well seeing as Ocarina of Time was exempt it was pretty much guaranteed Majora's Mask would make it. But that's a bit cynical. :P

Personally I disagree, but then again I disagree with most "GAME OF THE X" lists, since everyone has different tastes. Something tells me your a hardcore FPS fan won't exactly think "Majora's Mask was deserving of that", and it's pretty clear that Gamefaq's main userbase consists mainly of Japanese game fans (hence why Final Fantasy and Zelda are always in the running. As far as I know, anyway).

So yeah, not surprising, but my personal game of the decade would probably be...

I have no clue.

linkman8

True and Noble
I'm very happy with this outcome. I always check back at gamefaqs.com just to see how their contests and polls are going. Really, though, I don't really remember if OOT was in this contest, because it won their "Best Game Ever" contest, so the next best game won. :)
So now we as Zelda fans, hold two trophies for our games: Best Game Ever award, and the Game of the Decade award.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
Personally I disagree, but then again I disagree with most "GAME OF THE X" lists, since everyone has different tastes. Something tells me your a hardcore FPS fan won't exactly think "Majora's Mask was deserving of that", and it's pretty clear that Gamefaq's main userbase consists mainly of Japanese game fans (hence why Final Fantasy and Zelda are always in the running. As far as I know, anyway).

FPS fan?...
I'm not even sure what FPS is. XD
I'm happy with the results. I think Majora's Mask with a very deserving game, it's my favorite in the series.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Pretty much like TFWTH (nice name), I disagree with most of the "Game of the X" polls. And this one is no exception.
In my opinion there are a lot of better games than Majora's Mask, being so that I consider it an overrated game.

Only to name two games I think are better than Majora's Mask:
- Paper Mario (for the Nintendo 64)
- Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Of course, this is only my opinion, as many people agree that Majora's Mask is, indeed, the best game of the deacde (if not, it wouldn't be named as the game of the decade).

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I'm frankly disapointed. I mean, Majora's Mask was a great game an all, but if that's what's going to stand out as the graphical and gameplay title that defined this decade of gaming, then i'm dissapointed. There were plenty of other titles that had equal, if not better play and graphics.

I think faboyism took over during this vote, and not actual consideration of other titles.

FPS fan?...
I'm not even sure what FPS is. XD

First Person Shooter, y'know, the Call of Dutys etc. of the world. I'm not one myself but yeah, I can't see the hardcore fans of those games exactly preferring Majora's Mask. But that's a bit of a generalisation.

Honestly, whilst I don't agree with this, it's not exactly a terrible result. That would be something like the award going to a sports game.

I think it might be because I've played a heck of a lot of games over the last 10 years, and Majora's Mask probably doesn't even break the top ten in my personal opinion. But as I said before, it's all subjective and it seems the Gamefaqs collective loves it.

So I forgot my point. :P

Caeda

Keyblade Master
I don't agree with it whatsoever. MM is actually my least favorite Zelda at the moment. There are alot of games more deserving of that spot in my opinion. I am sad to see it win. I only voted for it because I wanted a nintendo game to win. In the finals, I voted Brawl because that game is way better then it.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I'm going to be perfectly honest here, so don't be hating on me or anything. As good a game as Majora's Mask was, there were far better games than it, such as (which I made a whole article about) Wind Waker, Half-Life 2, etc.

I mean, Majora's Mask did bring in some things that are used in games today, such as each character having it's own script and doing whatever they do at a certain time (which is echoed in Animal Crossing). On the N64, the game also looked quite good (Save the resolution. The one issue I have against N64 games is that they have beautiful textures and models, but it ends up getting killed by low resolutions of 320x240 instead of 640x480.), so that could be another upside.

As I said, though, it was a fun game with interesting characters that you could, in some cases, completely control their fate (besides the Moon). You could let some people have happy lives while others have a horrible time, which is something echoed in The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Fallout 3. So, great game, but certainly not the best of the decade (I could blame match-ups on that one. GameFAQs did have some horrible match-ups.).

I think Majora's Mask stood out precisely because it WASN'T another FPS or bad sequel (like Twilight Princess), or rehash like Mario Galaxies, which is why it got game of the decade.

linkman8

True and Noble
(I could blame match-ups on that one. GameFAQs did have some horrible match-ups.).

I definitely agree with this. Some of their match-ups were a little infuriating, and a lot of truly great games lost out to games that were more "popular". For example, I saw Tales of Vesperia go up against Borderlands. Anyone who's actually played both games knows that Tales of Vesperia is much better than Borderlands in virtually every category, and yet Borderlands took the victory because more people have played it, and not many people play the Tales games like I do.
In that respect, the tournament sucked, but the outcome is still favorable for us Zelda fans, if nothing else.

Contests like this are not really about which game is best. It's purely a popularity thing. It is also a question of what sort of gaming fans tend to look at Gamefaqs. I doubt there is much of a market for Brain Training FAQs, for example. I'm pleased MM won because I think it's a brilliant game, but I know it's fanbase is paltry compared to the FIFA's and Call of Dutys of this world, just because they have such greater mass market appeal.

MrLuigi

Theorist
I love how people think Twilight Princess sucks.

I'm very happy it won, my favorite Zelda game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom