• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gamecube Games on the Wii U Virtual Console

Haley_Oyo

Winner of Dundies
I would love this and I really think they should consider doing this! My picks would be Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, all the Mario Parties (or as I like to call them, friendship enders), Super Smash Bros, and Mario Kart DD.

Ugh, it would be so perfect if they were to add that in :love:

I'm hoping that the Wii U comes with a hard drive big enough to support multiple GCN titles (A typical GCN game is about 1.5 Gigabytes, I believe). I've heard speculation that it won't, and that a player will have to provide their own external hard drive to connect to the Wii U. With that said, it'd be fantastic if Nintendo implemented online features in some of the GCN games that were lacking them, or had them implemented, but poorly. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! comes to mind. There was a LAN option to connect GCNs for a larger multiplayer game, but it was quite a hassle to get two GCNs close enough to connect by LAN, if you even have a LAN cable and know how to use it, that is, AND for both GCNs to have a copy of the game. I'm not saying Nintendo should implement an online feature into every GCN game they release on VC, but multiplayer-central games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers Melee could definitely benefit from it. Of course, there may be legal complications I'm not aware of to changing a game for re-release, as well as the staff that may be needed to maintain an online network for games, as well as to redesign the game for better online support.

Even with all of that considered, I have to wonder just how many GCN games Nintendo will even put on VC. There are only 21(?) Nintendo 64 games on the Virtual console right now. Some of the best N64 games will likely never be uploaded because of legal issues *cough* Rare *cough*.

With all of that said...

Melee and Super Mario Sunshine will likely be among the first to be uploaded. My biggest hope is that legal issues don't prevent Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes from becoming digitally available.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Tales of Symphonia. 100%. If you can find a copy at your local GameStop (finding mine was like a scavenger hunt :xd:), I highly suggest picking it up. In fact, Lloyd Irving (the protagonist) is one of the most wanted characters for Super Smash Bros U. This is because Symphonia was a GameCube exclusive and was developed by Namco Bandai.

Anyways, besides that, I'd say Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, The Wind Waker, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Melee, and a bunch of others... lol.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Mario Kart: Double-Dash

Why not just force Nintendo to release every single GameCube game ever released?

That wouldn't be too hard... right? . . . haha

chrisplushado

All I want is Wii friends
wow, GameCube games for VC? they are all 2GB so the Wii U probably has some serious storage room, I mean, they don't expect us to store them all on an SD card, do they? speaking of cards, the Wii U doesn't have GC memory card slots, I assume the VC version of games will be modified versions that just save to the main Wii U memory, just likje a regular Wii game does.

wow, GameCube games for VC? they are all 2GB so the Wii U probably has some serious storage room, I mean, they don't expect us to store them all on an SD card, do they? speaking of cards, the Wii U doesn't have GC memory card slots, I assume the VC version of games will be modified versions that just save to the main Wii U memory, just likje a regular Wii game does.

Current word is that the U's hard drive is only 8GB, and that we'll have to use external hard drives for more space, which is disappointing. I'd prefer to be able to fit most/all my content on one drive, instead of having to buy add-ons to store games. In addition to the added cost, it also presents a bulk problem.

Source: Why the Wii U Isn’t the Dinosaur Some Are Making It Out to Be | Techland | TIME.com

As for the GCN memory slot issue, I expect there'll be an internal storage solution for save files to replace the slots.

The absence of slots means certain GCN games will have reduced functionality if they are uploaded to the virtual console. Games like Mario Party 6 that used the memory card-connected microphone will lose that function. Not that that peripheral added much, anyway.

Why would you buy the same game twice?

I guess if you are a complete nintendo fan, there's one reason. I kinda fall into that category because I own Link's Awakening on both Game Boy Color and 3DS. The same applies for other games I own.

It may be a bit late to say this, but Path of Radiance is definitely a good game to get - if you enjoyed Radiant Dawn at all, Path of Radiance will probably blow you away. It used to be my favorite game until Skyward Sword came along and replaced it. Although I own it, I do hope it will be on the Wii U's Virtual Console as well.

Considering GameCube games are a bit bulkier to make than Nintendo 64 games, I wouldn't expect Nintendo to release a plethora of them at once. I would predict some launch titles or early, simpler games like Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and Metroid Prime. I hope they release some of the bigger or more obscure games, like Four Swords Adventures and, of course, Path of Radiance. Perhaps Nintendo could try some new marketing tactic with Four Swords Adventures like they did with the first Four Swords for the DSi and 3DS.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Ones I'm hoping for most are:
Luigi's Mansion
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime
and I know they might not do this since it was also a Wii title, but Twilight Princess. I really dislike the Wii version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom