• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Starts in a Dungeon?

S

Sephiroth

What would be your feelings if the game started in a dungeon?

I mean right from the beginning. I guess Majora's Mask kind of already did this with you starting in the woods (as opposed to Link's house in most games). It wasn't a dungeon though I suppose.

Or as another possibility it could start with a boss fight?

This would just be a way to shake up the formula but what are your thoughts?

I think it would be weird to start in a dungeon, but I wouldn't want to start in a dungeon.
Because I would want to know what the plot of the game was, because in all zelda games you don't start in a dungeon. You start in like a someone where like a town. And when you start there you find out what the whole game is about and what is going on. Thats what I think, and really nice thread by the way! :)

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Link has a dream...he wakes up and he is in a dungeon! That would be cool. Even cooler, Link finds out that he doesn't have a sword and shield and has to run from the enemies.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
It's not a bad idea if you think about it, however I don't think i'd like that. What I like about the Zelda series is its consistent but always feels fresh, they are mixing up the formula a bit, but I think they will (and should) stick with the "Coming of age" type of game since its became kind of a standard in Zelda games (with a few exceptions.). They have almost always gave you time to get to know your charictar before throwing you out there.

I hope this doesn't happen just my opinion though. What do you think about starting in a dungeon?

that would be pretty cool, I was reading somewhere that you were looking for a friend when you find the sword... So maybe it will show you looking for your friend that was wondering away and you going after him/her? thus the beginning of your first mini dungeon! To help you, there would be signs or something that would help you along the way, it would totally help with the long beginning that a lot of people had the problem with in Tp

David

But you called me here...
Honestly, I think that SS should not start out in a dungeon. When I start playing, i know that there will be so much that I don't know about the game. I'd really prefer if SS didn't start at Link's house too. The game better have an amazing introduction to get me hooked and excited for the game. I like/hate games that just throw you into the game (well, hate at first because I have no idea what to do and like it later because it taught me how to fend for myself) without any idea about what is going on.

Now if Nintendo was careful and clever about this, they could easily start you out in a dungeon. But the intro before it would have to be amazing and be able to explain how and why you were there first.

But to be realistic, I highly doubt that Nintendo would start us out in a Dungeon right after the introduction scene. It wouldn't fit with what Nintendo has recently done with games. Great idea, but unlikely.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I'm thinking we'll start off with Link in his dreams. But it'll be a really simple tutorial dungeon, like swing this, hit that, run, sidestep, all that good stuff. But I agree with HoM overall, lets start normally.

I actually wouldn't mind it starting in a dungeon, or something like that. Personally, I think it would be more interesting to start either in a dungeon or even for the game to start by just throwing you into a part of the overworld without much information, leaving you to figure out where you are, etc.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Fun as it would be to just be thrust into the middle of a dungeon and be expected to fight from the get go, I highly doubt it's going to happen, if only because it may discourage/confuse younger or less experience players, and Nintendo doesn't want to alienate a potential market group.

If done right though, like in the case of MM, it would certainly be a welcome breath of fresh air from the same old trite formula of running around trying to find a sword and shield with helper nagging in ear before any real appreciable action occurs.

What I personally would like to see is a brief intro, just enough to establish a basic setting and reason for being there, like a small town or something, then before any plot details emerge, just throw a mini-boss onto the scene (the monster should have some plot relevance later on just so it's not THAT random). Rather than being taught how to use the sword in a safe and boring tutorial, just occasionally flash random prompts on the bottom of the screen of possible sword maneuvers and let the player try out the sword by themselves. After the monster dies, a key story NPC can come up and say something like "cool moves! I'm a swordsman too, maybe I can show you some of my techniques", and that person will give optional sword lessons that beginners can take or experienced members can skip (kinda like the MM Swordsman School). THEN the game moves on into introductory plot and the like.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Oh geez, I hope it dosen't do the thing that pokemonXD did. I honestly dislike that very much, it almost seems as if you never started the game but in fact are right in the middle of it. It feels wierd like your detached from your character. And isn't that to point of Link? To be the Link to your game? I honestly don't think it would work very well. It dosen't seem to fit the Zelda standerd we usually have.

Thanks for starting a new thread by the way.

Majora's Cat

How about that
I like this idea. :) I give it a :yes:. Anyway, I think this would be a great change of pace. Many games start out with a bang - you're thrown right into the action of the game. I hate how Zelda games start out so slowly and I'd like a more action-packed opening like in Majora's Mask. Not necessarily a dungeon, per se, but perhaps an opening sequence that is packed with enemies and puzzles.

But... I also like your concept. Starting in a dungeon really forces the player to be on his/her A-game from the very start. My only question at this point is how would the items be obtained? I would assume that the sword, shield, Hero's Clothes, etc. are found within the dungeon near the start. Throwing the player straight into the thick of the game is a great way to get the player involved, but might backfire if it's made too difficult. Newcomers to the series may not be expecting a high difficulty level in the beginning of the game and may not even try to get past the very start of the game. I remember how I had no clue what to do when I first started playing Twilight Princess. Being put right in a dungeon at the start of Skyward Sword would make less skilled gamers give the game up and probably not touch it for quite a while. I spent a good two hours in TP doing absolutely nothing right at the start. :sweat:

Anyway, I'd like to see an opening dungeon that is rather simple like Ocarina of Time's Inside of the Deku Tree dungeon. It kind of introduced players to the new 3D format and was more of an experiment than anything else. Putting a simple dungeon at the beginning of SS could teach the player some basic mechanics and have them test out the controls in the best place possible - in an actual dungeon. While this may not feel so appealing to veterans who are used to Zelda adventures opening with Link in a friendly village and breaks the tradition, I think having Link placed in some strange temple-like structure with tons of enemies with no explanation is kind of mysterious and pushes you to find out where your next destination is.

Overall, yes, it's a great idea. Having a dungeon right at the beginning or just havng a cool opening sequence is fine with me. Either one works. :)

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
Rather than being taught how to use the sword in a safe and boring tutorial, just occasionally flash random prompts on the bottom of the screen of possible sword maneuvers and let the player try out the sword by themselves.

I like that idea. I hate having to sit there and read how perform a sword maneuver, cause all I'm thinking is, "Why am I going through this? Whyyyyy?!" So a quick and simple way to learn would be much better. And I also don't want to teach little kids, either. Please, Nintendo. Don't ever put me through that torture again. >>;

Also, I wouldn't want to start in a dungeon, but I don't want to wander around and peform tasks for people for 15 minutes (--cough cough-- Twilight Princess). I want to quickly get my awesome sword and shield and do my thing.

Orrrrr....maybe they could introduce you to Skyloft, and you stumble upon some sort of hidden sacred place where you find the Skyward Sword, and then you learn about the land below, blah blah blah.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Neat idea, I remember that FF 3 for the DS started like that. and maybe we won't start at Link's house in SS but a dungeon right off the bat? in Zelda? me thinks not. In most cases you need a sword first and a shield maybe. If they tossed Link into a dungeon right from the start with both of those items then they have already skipped over how he got the sword and shield and if they dont give him those items... well it's hard to do anything without a sword so i don't imagine it would be very exciting. Zelda has always been about progression, Link (in most cases) starts off with least equipment and by the end of the game he has obtained most or all of it. I don't think they should change that by giving him weapons before we even start playing.

From what I've heard Skyloft sounds pretty easy going until Link is forced into action. I can't see him exploring a large cave (mini dungeon) at the beginning and then coming out after beating a small boss, as a test of courage for his birthday which is something the village does cause there is a legend and so on... This is a brand new Link. So I think he will get a fresh story right from the start. Nothing choppy like a sequal or prequal this is more like a stand alone, even though they keep saying it's directly related to OoT I think the difference in ages is enough that land will not be the same, and though there are some familiar themes in all of Link's beginnings the story will be for SS Link only. from cover to cover.

Oh and 1 more reason why that might not happen.. this is the first Zelda using wii motion plus and for some it will be the first Zelda game they ever play lol so they won't go dropping us in a danger zone, they would definitely teach us some stuff first in a safe area like the controls over again by making characters in game talk about "pressing buttons" and waving your wii mote when such things shouldn't exist in hyrule... trust me I hate the tutorials in Zelda too but it's gunna happen whether we want it or not. and I don't think that tutorial will happen inside a dungeon. More like a quite little village. But who am I to nay say? If they started the game like that I wouldn't mind at all.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE x100 This idea!

My favorite game of all time, which has been compared to Zelda quite a few times is "The Guardian Legend"

http://gaming.icrontic.com/reviews/the-guardian-legend-nes/

You are thrown into your first Corridor the moment you press start. And its likely you will die and gameover within the first 30 seconds of the game... It presented a challenge that created an instant addiction to the game. And increased the difficulty quite a bit there was no "guide" right from the start that told you what to do... (after all that's what the instruction manual is for).

I think having this applied to a Zelda game would be AMAZING. I have long since critizied the decreased difficulty in the Zelda games to the point that its rather disappointing that its nearly impossible to die. I mean... its even more pointless to have a "game over counter" on games like TP, OoT, and MM, just because you don't die enough. Now that sentence was kinda off topic, but it goes back to the anticipation.

There's really nothing i despise more then starting a new game and having to sit through 10 minutes of cut scenes... followed by walking two feet and getting interrupted again with more information on how to play... The idea of being thrown in a dungeon with very little info given to you, and you are forced to figure it out... Not only is a challenge, but a good one at that. Trial and Error would be a great way to learn the new controls of SS and cause you to think. (which is not a crime in today's games despite popular belief.)

Awesome idea, I would love to see this come to fruition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom