• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Series You've Followed Since Their Beginning

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Lengthy title, short OP. Always a winning combination. :/

Anywho, what video game series have you followed since their creation? Even if one is new to the video game scene, newer franchises have come around and been introduced in only the most recent generations. Are there any franchises you've been dedicated to for quite some time, perhaps?

I am very limited in terms of the number of franchises I've always paid attention to. Once that comes to mind is Scribblenauts, which started on the DS in 2009. I hyped it a lot and loved the result. It has seen a sequel on the DS, a port/remake on the App Store and a Wii U/3DS release. All are excellent. Pushing back the dates a bit, I can say I've been following the Super Smash Bros. games since the N64 iteration was made. Eh, but I don't want to ramble...

I can safely say Zelda even though it wasn't my choice to do so, the games were just there, bought by my parents and i picked them up to play at an age where i wasn't sure what anything was or what i did or why.

Other franchises... Smash bros, i guess. Ummm.. Silent Hill, Dead or Alive, Project Zero, Extreme G and Mario Kart are some others

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
The only game series that I have followed from the beginning is Golden Sun.

I'm not really old enough to have been following games that have been out for 25 years. :S

I can't say I've followed many series right from their origin; I usually pick games/series up that have been running for longer than I've been alive or that got suggested to me by people. Although, I can say that I picked up Pokémon right at the beginning.

The only franchises I've followed since the beginning are Pokemon and Halo. I'm generally pessimistic about the quality of new series-so many uphold fresh ideas but are poorly executed. I usually start following a franchise around its second or third game, once it's proven successful.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Kingdom Hearts - been there since the beginning, though I didn't necessarily play the games until later (first game was CoM, which I DID NOT understand). I even endured the (2 year? 3 year?) wait for Birth by Sleep's Japanese release, and that felt like it was FOREVER. Man, when we first got gameplay of Aqua...<3 but yeah, KH from start to finish bby.

Super Smash Bros - been there since the beginning. Followed Brawl until its release and then some...that was a horrible wait, and unfortunately I do not have the game on my person but that's okay. I'll wait for it to get a price drop sometime! :brow: Also gonna be following SSB43DS.

Go_Skyward

Seek a door that carries a [9]
I'm not really old enough to say Zelda, Sonic or Mario. But I guess I can say the Dragon Age series, given it's not too old, about 2009. So, yeah. I've been following that one.

You know how you sometimes say "dang I feel old?" when you're not THAT old... well... this is one of those moments where I want to go "DANG! I'm so young! Dx" (I'm really not. I'm in my teens, but still!)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well, Super Mario for sure, sure it's been a bit on and off, but it started with that first game and I've played quite a lot of the ones released since.
Tomb Raider is another where I started at the beginning, that too has been a bit on and off. I played the first three PS1 titles, then I stopped playing on the playstation and later on picked the series back up with the x-box releases.
Then there's Fable which I've also played from the beginning.

Those are the ones I can recall being introduced to through the first game that I've stuck by. I didn't get introduced to Zelda until OoT, so that definitely wasn't at the beginning of the franchise, lol.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I have been a long standing fan of the Myst series ever since it was first developed by about half a dozen guys in a garage.

Brothers Rand and Robyn Miller co-developed the infamous Myst at Cyan headquarters in Spokane Washington (which was then a prefab shed) with about four other guys, give or take (brother Ryan wasn't technically an employee back then). Their masterpiece of interactive entertainment, Myst, would go on to sell tens of millions of copies world wide, dominate two Christmas seasons and even push the hardware of the then fledgling CD-ROM technology.

I was there for Myst's long awaited sequel, Riven, and followed every non-Cyan developed title Myst's III (Presto) and IV (Ubisoft :sick:), and waited ages (no pun ;)) to join intrepid explorers in Cyan World's online adventure spinoff series URU.

Finally, with Cyan's release of Myst V, the series came to a close. The ending had at last been written, and the whole journey had been well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom