• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Sales

That is sad to see for such a fun game. Mario Kart's doing well and I know I am going to get flamed for this but those games have no appeal to me but racing games in general have always bored me to tears.

Do yo get it? The Legend of Zelda is the underdog this year. that is absurd, conceding it's one of, if not the best franchises in video game's history. and Skyward Sword is an amazing game for itself. i wouldn't mind it so much if a game like Arkham City or the Witcher 2, or evan Uncharted where the top sellers, but battlefield and COD. I'm not hating on these games, Battlefield is a great online shooter, but it's just absurd to me.

It is due to the dominant discourse about gaming, which is spread by "popular" and "professional" gaming websites. This discourse is based on several hidden assumptions like:
- "Realistic graphics is everything"
- "Nintendo games are not as good as the more realistic looking games"
- "Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario are always based on nostalgia towards previous titles"

Last edited:
I was thinking about this again this morning and I think two other factors might be is that it has been 5 years since there was a main console release which may have been too long for some users and the Wii is at the end of it's lifespan and people are already thinking about the Wii U or they are invested in their other platforms like the XBOX and PS3 for the time being.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
- "Realistic graphics is everything"
- "Nintendo games are not as good as the more realistic looking games"
- "Nintendo games like Zelda and Mario are always based on nostalgia towards previous titles"
True (I jux be trolling).
Not necessarily true.
Not necessarily true.

Anyway, I'm not surprised to see Zelda do rather poorly. Skyward Sword was released at the end of the Wii's life, you can't tell me you expect to see sales booming. The Wii is done for, no one cares anymore because it's dead. We've all moved onto the lively systems, meaning 3DS, Vita, PS3 and 360. The Wii itself has been dead since...well, I'd say since 2009 but I'm not entirely sure on that. Japan has a very different demographic than America or the PAL regions.

It's what the game gets for being released so late into the system's lifeline.

Last edited:
Wtf how is this possible!? Everyone's so hype about the game right now. I agree with ^ though, they released the game too late, since the wii's reaching its end

Majora's Cat

How about that
To be honest, great games like Skyward Sword deserve to sell more copies. Nintendo has flooded the market with gimmicky, family-friendly Wii games that have moved tens of millions of copies each that are easy to produce. Video games on Sony and Microsoft's consoles do sell lots of copies as well (on average), but they pale in comparison to the wide appeal of Wii games like Wii Party and Mario Kart Wii.

It seems that the high quality of some Wii games doesn't make as much money for the video game juggernaut as its casual play titles do. Softcore gamers that don't know any better buy into these games' marketing campaigns and buy mediocre games - this is good for Nintendo's business, but also overshadows the profits of much better titles. Just because a game is fantastic doesn't mean that it will corner the market. A prime example of this is BioShock, which has still sold over a million units, but is surprised in copies sold by several games that aren't necessarily as good as BioShock.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 sold 6.5 million discs in a single day - about two and a half times as much as Skyward Sword has sold over the course of a month. It's not exactly fair considering that the general public views Skyward Sword as the superior of the two, but this isn't how the gaming industry works. Zelda games always sell over a million copies (which the exception of Four Swords Adventures) but never manage to appeal to as many people as Nintendo's generic casual games do, which is unfortunate.

The majority of the gaming community is comprised of softcore gamers, so it's difficult for high quality stand-alone games to sell nearly as many units. Call of Duty and other FPS franchises have managed to dominate the market and sell even more than many of the Wii's casual titles, which can be viewed as good or bad. The fact is that Skyward Sword has a more selective audience and doesn't captivate everybody. However, for a franchise that has had a history of 25 years, it's always a pleasure to see one of its installments selling so well.

Yes, but this is only for Japan. Keep in mind that Skyward Sword has sold 2.5 million units worldwide and is on track to selling at least 4 million units during its lifetime thus becoming one of the highest grossing installments in the series thus far.

Actually, this:

attachment.php

This is a graph I made back in June (for a thread) that shows the fluctuation in the number of copies sold of Zelda games. A foreseeable 4 million copies is pretty much to be expected of a Zelda game. In fact, almost half of all Zelda games hover around or above the 4 million mark.

MW7

That's an awesome graph Majora's Cat. It's interesting how the sales fluctuate from title to title, and I always forget that the original game really made some coin. 4 million seems like a safe bet to me. I'd guess it won't catch Twilight Princess since it's near the end of the Wii's life cycle but 5 million may be possible. Also did Twilight Princess finally pass OOT in sales? I thought I heard that from someone recently, but I could never find a source. It would definitely make sense because of how many Wiis are floating around the world and with how TP is $20 now.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
It's to be expected that a casual game like MW3 sells so well, and it is also expected that hardcore games like Zelda don't. More people are just casual fan boys than die hard fans, I don't think this will ever change...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom