• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game of the Year - 2012

Deeds

no text
I agree with others, 2012 hasn't been a very good year for games. It's been very exciting, with the release of Halo 4, but again - no Halo succeeds to succomb to the greatness that was halo 3.
I just want to say, Journey isn't on my list of good games for 2012. It was one of those games that those with a PS3, will of course love. My theory is, it's an exclusive to their console (they're going to love it just because of that, that's the way it is), it's an 'indie' kind of game (makes most people auto-like it. Has quiet music, has a 'quirky' feature - being able to communicate through bleeps, minimalistic visuals and HUD). It's a very easy game to like, reason I didn't like it is because I simply found it boring. This isn't the thread though,
Assassins Creed 3 was my favourite game of 2012, good storyline, nice visuals, immersive and smooth gameplay.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Not the best year in gaming....
AC3 was a big let down for me, Black Ops 2 was mehh, so I guess even though the game wasn't very big it will have to be Dishonored. Would love to see a sequel of this game but make the story much longer :)

I didn't play many of the big games that came out this year, but from the ones I played, I would have to say Mass Effect 3. As someone who played through the first and second games multiple times and loved the series, it was a perfect conclusion to the trilogy. Sure there were some disappointments but it was still amazing.

A very close second would be The Walking Dead. Probably one of the best stories I've experienced in a video game.

Assassin's Creed 3 was the biggest disappointment.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Well, for me it has to be The Walking Dead. It has an older formula for video games where it's more like one of those kings quest games, or monkey island. You have to make plot second decisions however and there is a sense of urgency where it's needed when it's needed every time. Your desicions also effect how the gane evolves as well. At one point very early on in the game, you have to decide if you're going to head out at night, or try and leave before day ends. Now I haven't chosen moving at night yet, but I chose daytime and most of my game has been in the day time. There are several times in the first episode alone where you have to decide who you're going to save.

Then the game actually pulls at your emotions a little bit. The main character, Lee Everette, finds a little girl named Clementine very early in the game. Now Clementine is probably one of my favorite characters in the game because she asks Lee(the player) some really difficult questions. As much as I like clementine, I do want her to dissapear just so Lee can have that character change. Then later, you have to choose saving this guy named Doug, or this hot chick who can shoot who's name is Carley. Now I chose Carley in my play through of the first episode. Later, after you've escaped the Zombies, she asks you why you saved her, not Doug. This was yet another point in the story that really pulled at me emotionally. Now it is very very odd for me to be emotionally involved in a video game, but this one makes it happen and does it well.

Lastly, it's such a creepy game. The art style makes it look a bit like a comic book, but a dark comic book. The walkers all freak the **** out of you. Things jump out unexpectedly in some cases, and again there is a sense of urgency where it's needed. Whether that be trying to stop a fight amongst the group, try to kill a walker, or trying to save Clementine. Then the developers don't really seem to care where they go, to a point. I'm halfway thought the second episode, one of your friends(who ended up shot with an arrow) was being taken care of. You go into the house later and go upstairs to find him with his legs gone. You realize that everyone downstairs is about to eat his legs and Lee's first reaction is to stop Clementine from eating(I love how much he cares about her even though they've only known each other 3 months at this point. Pulls at the heart again.) you try telling people that they're about to eat mark and then he starts crawling into the dinning room asking for help. I'm very near ready to puke typing this.

Point is, this game has a lot going good for it, and so far the only complaint I have is that some parts f it can be lengthy but. Most detective type games like this are like that. I'm probably going to have nightmares tonight as well because of this game. Oh well. It is excellent though and I encourage others to play it if they haven't.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Mass Effect 3

HaHaHaHaHa! Just Kidding.

Well, given that about everything released this year has been steaming tripe at worst and horrendously mediocre at best, my only candidate for Game of the Year is...

Xenoblade Chronicles

... and even that almost didn't happen without gamers having to beg for it. :dry:

I'm gonna go for the dark horse (no pun intended) and say Darksiders II. The game has its flaws like any other, but of all the games I've played this year, it's the most well-rounded. It features fun, simple, yet difficult gameplay; the story is pretty good; the characters are rather meh, but Death is so badass one begins to forget that; the dungeons have incredible design, rivaling most I've seen in Zelda with extraordinary puzzles and design; it also has a basic, yet superb armor and weapons system. The game has its flaws, but no game this year has been as good as Darksiders II.

I really wish I could say Assassin's Creed III, but it was a big letdown.

Xenoblade

Huge, beautiful, entertaining, endless, and enthralling. Every moment of the 100 hours it took me to complete the main story was pure gaming bliss.

Guild Wars 2. I just picked it up on Christmas day, but I am having a BLAST! The art style is amazing. The world is beautiful. Combat is very fun. Very immersive.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
2012 was a bad year for gaming imo as 2011 gave us some great games like....Portal 2, Skyrim, Skyward Sword Ect. So this is hard one!

AC3 was prob manys prediction to be GOTY but I though it lacked the spirit of the franchise and it tried to be something it's not! Plus with all the bugs and repetitive missions :/ With this in mind I would have to say Dishonored was a real surprise for me! It showed us how a game can take simple aspects from different games such as RPG elements, stealth, decisions and take all this into a first person aspect and with its steampunk graphics and make it an overall Great game!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I do not have the PS Vita, so I can't judge any of its games. It would probably be Persona 4 Golden, what with its raving reviews, but I can't say for sure. I also will not be counting ports, HD re-releases, or HD collections.

Best Action/Adventure Game

Max Payne 3
Darksiders II
Kingdom Hearts 3D (Dream Drop Distance)
Far Cry 3

Winner
Far Cry 3
Best Platformer

Fez
Mutant Mudds
Spelunky
New Super Mario Bros. U

Winner
Fez
Best Shooter

Borderlands 2
Halo 4
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
PlanetSide 2

Winner
Borderlands 2
Best RPG

Mass Effect 3
Pokemon Black & White 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Diablo 3

Winner
Xenoblade Chronicles
Best Fighting Game

Street Figher X Tekken
PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
Persona 4 Arena
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Winner
Persona 4 Arena
Best Puzzle Game

Crashmo
Beat Sneak Bandit
Quarrel
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Winner
Crashmo
Best Racing Game

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Forza Horizon
Trials Evolution: Origin of Plain
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

Winner
Forza Horizon
Best Sports Game

FIFA 13
NBA2K 13
MLB 13 The Show
Madden 13

Winner
Madden 13
Best Downloadable Game

Hotline Miami
Journey
Mark of the Ninja
Crashmo

Winner
Journey
Best Handheld Game

Pokemon Black & White 2
Resident Evil: Revelations
Cave Story
Kingdom Hearts 3D (Dream Drop Distance)

Winner
Best Exclusive Game

Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles
360 - Halo 4
PS3- Journey
PC - Black Mesa
Wii U - New Super Mario Bros. U

Winner
Halo 4
Best Multiplatform Game

Mass Effect 3
Borderlands 2
The Walking Dead
Far Cry 3

Winner
The Walking Dead
Game of the Year

Xenoblade Chronicles
Journey
The Walking Dead

Winner
The Walking Dead

Last edited:

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Either Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, or Tell Tale's Walking Dead

ME3: For being an epic conclusion. It didn't go along the path I thought it would, and the last 10-15 minutes were just bad, but it was a great ending to a series started years earlier and gave a decent amount of closure.
The game should have ended after you kill the elusive man

Halo 4: For teaching an old dog new tricks, and for focusing on the MC's human side and how that humanity is linked to a piece of hardware (the irony is palpable).

Walking Dead: Been a Halo and Mass Effect fan since Day 1, but I did anticipate either game as much as I did the Walking Dead's episodes.
Also, the end... :kawaii:

I can't choose between these three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom