• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game design that never should have happened

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
A large part of older games is seeing how they differ from today's games. Many times there will be outdated mechanics that don't hold up well, even if they were common for their time. Most of these are just devs experimenting with game design and are unavoidable, but what are some mechanics that never should have been designed to begin with?

Case in point, I've been playing F-Zero a lot lately and I've been reminded of how much I hate old racing games treating races as levels and forcing you to have a good finish to move to the next race in the series.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Any mechanic that’s sole purpose is to add “realism” to a game, like weight limits in the Elder Scrolls.
Yeah, have to agree specifically with carrying weight in Elder Scrolls. I just want to pick up every weapon I don't already have, maybe two of the same one so I can have a backup. If I see a book I don't already have, I want it. Sometimes after an hour of playing I have accumilated a lot of books on top of the loot I've gotten from exploring a ruin or something, and I'm over encumbered at the end of a ruin and would really rather not drop anything.

Games where there’s a boss that is very challenging, only to find out you lose no matter what because it’s part of the plot.
I actually don't mind this, but it's gotta be obvious to an extent that it's supposed to happen. Rune Factory 4 did it and I didn't really like, question it really. I think if they make it happen rather quickly so you're not too invested into the fight, then it's fine.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Turn based RPGs that don't say the damn HP of the opponent!!! As if turn based wasn't grating enough already...
I was playing a turn based RPG recently that had a similar mechanic. The first time you fought an enemy type it wouldn't show the health bar, and every other time it would. I suppose that makes sense, since you wouldn't know how strong something is if you've never fought it before. The only problem with that was they did it for boss battles too, so you could see how much damage you did but not how big it's health bar is, and what attacks are effective. So I agree, it completely sucks.
As for the OP question, probably games that tried to have open world or huge cityscapes before they had the technology to do it right. They usually just end up janky and glitchy.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Turn based RPGs that don't say the damn HP of the opponent!!! As if turn based wasn't grating enough already...
Miitopia does this, but the only time you can see the health is when your Mii is about to attack. So for the Darker Lord final boss, where you use the whole party in 3 parts it's especially annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom