• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Before Skyward Sword?

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
OK, so the backstory of Skyward Sword, according to a recent video, is this:
- bad guy with group pillaged and destroyed world
- bad guy sealed or killed
- Ghirahim and remains of bad guy's group trying to revive the main bad guy

And then the events of Skyward Sword happen. So, eventually, Nintendo will probably release a game where Skyward Sword's backstory is shown, aka Link or some other hero killing/sealing the main bad guy, right? (the Zelda series has really gone everywhere but forward, hugh?)

Small question, though: if Link gets the green cloak in SS because it's the Knight Academy's uniform, and the rest of the Links wear it in his honor, what will the Link before SS Link wear.

This might be all over the place, but please reply. I want to know what you guys think.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Personally I don't think Nintendo should create a backstory for SwS it doesn't need 1 as SwS is supposed to tell the origin of the Master Sword amongst other things.

I Nintendo may have created the beginning of the timeline for the whole LoZ series also a personl statement.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
Given we only have very limited story from SS and a few videos and screenshots here and there, it is hard to state if SS will tie in to any other games apart from OOT. If we were to take Eiji Aonuma's mistaken words as fact, then it could (in theory) tie in with The Minish Cap. But, again, that is theoretical.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Yeah, sure. Aonuma specifically refrained from saying SS was first so that it wouldn't prevent him from making prequels. What we've seen so far of the intro seems vague enough that they could be creative with it in a new game.

As for Link's tunic, Skyward Sword has already added a new origin to the existing one in OoT. New games before SS would just have to do the same. But really, they wouldn't have to...

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I think Skyward Sword will cover the backstory on its own. Nintendo will probably have is tied into the game somehow, so we can understand how Ghirahim's master was sealed "in the bowels of the earth" (at least that's where he rose from to begin with; I'd consult the translated SS intro for more insight). With that said I wouldn't be surprised if Ghirahim is the one to give a concise narrative of it.

geek4887

The Unknown
Hmm, SS sounds almost like Zelda II. Anyways, it wouldn't be impossible if Nintendo made a prequel to SS. Note necessarily depicting the backstory but a prequel is inevitable.

jamezrockz98

Link rockz like me. Yay!!
I think they should have a prequel to SS. It could happen a year after Hyrule was created or something. People will start telling about the legend of the triforce and that's how the bad guys find out and start taking over Hyrule. I think they should have a prequel for SS but, I reckon no more after that. As for the bad guys, it could be one on Ghirahim's ancestors or even Ganondorf's ancestors. Anything's possible in the Zelda world......

It possible, but I don't see a prequel happening anytime soon. If there was a prequel though, I'm sure it would more likely stand on its own than be a backstory to Skyward Sword. I'm sure there would be some references to SS, but it will more than likely be its own game, like TP.

Regarding the green tunic, I think it would likely have its own story again. Usually, with the tunic, they either go the 'ancient hero' route, or just come up with another reason for Link to wear it. I really don't think the tunic needs a backstory though.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I am kind of thinking that it's unlikely we'll see a game preceding Skyward Sword. First of all, any backstory is perfectly able to stand on its own. It's not like everytime we see a new backstory a game has to incorporate it. That would lead to a never-ending series of prequels, which would get boring and annoying after a while.

Also, any game before Skyward Sword would lack most of the key elements of a Zelda game. The Master Sword is going to be created in this game, and Hyrule is supposedly founded. Also, it can be assumed that Skyward Sword will not feature the Triforce in an actual appearance since it remains in the Sacred Realm until Ocarina of Time, though it will likely be mentioned. Another major Zelda element, Ganon, will make no appearance.

True, there have been Zelda games before with none of these elements before (actually, the only ones I can think of are Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening even the Oracles feature Ganon), but I highly doubt Nintendo will repeat this trend going earlier, as the others were sequels to Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past respectively.

Though it certainly is POSSIBLE that Nintendo will go earlier than Skyward Sword, I see no reason for them to do so, and the next game will probably go later on the timeline, possibly in the Seal War as some (JuicieJ) have speculated, or even just pater than all of the games.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
Also, any game before Skyward Sword would lack most of the key elements of a Zelda game. The Master Sword is going to be created in this game, and Hyrule is supposedly founded. Also, it can be assumed that Skyward Sword will not feature the Triforce in an actual appearance since it remains in the Sacred Realm until Ocarina of Time, though it will likely be mentioned. Another major Zelda element, Ganon, will make no appearance.
As I said, The Minish Cap. Doesn't have the Master Sword, The Triforce was nowhere to be seen, and Hyrule was far from how we know it in later games. *Shrugs* I know most don't agree to TMC being first, but there is always the possibility.

As I said, The Minish Cap. Doesn't have the Master Sword, The Triforce was nowhere to be seen, and Hyrule was far from how we know it in later games. *Shrugs* I know most don't agree to TMC being first, but there is always the possibility.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I have not played Skyward Sword , so there is no reason to speculate whether Minish Cap happens before or after. Minish Cap stands very well on its own (and as a prequel to FS/FSA) anyway, and I think the OP was talking about a game that would be made with knowledge of the existence of Skyward Sword.

Last edited:

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
I don't necessarily disagree, but I have not played Skyward Sword , so there is no reason to speculate whether Mnish Cap happens before or after. Minish Cap stands very well on its own (and as a prequel to FS/FSA) anyway, and I think the OP was talking about a game that would be made with knowledge of the existence of Skyward Sword.
Ah, this is very true. Guess we'll have to see how SS starts and ends before we can say this or that.

TMC can't come before, it has been confirmed that SwS is the earliest existing game in the timeline. Almost any basis for TMC being before OoT is pretty much taken away by SwS anyway IMO.

TMC can't come before, it has been confirmed that SwS is the earliest existing game in the timeline. Almost any basis for TMC being before OoT is pretty much taken away by SwS anyway IMO.

It was mentioned that Skyward Sword takes place before Ocarina of Time, but because he did not want to back himself into a corner, Eiji Aonuma wouldn't say whether or not it was the first game in the timeline.

It was mentioned that Skyward Sword takes place before Ocarina of Time, but because he did not want to back himself into a corner, Eiji Aonuma wouldn't say whether or not it was the first game in the timeline.

But he did confirm it was the earliest existing game in the timeline, which completely rules out TMC coming before it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom